• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Defining introversion and extroversion?

SwimmerGal97

I'm having trouble deciding between introversion and extroversion. I know its not as simple as 'extroverts are loud and obnoxious' and 'introverts are shy and hermits', its to do with where you get you're energy from but what exactly does that mean? I've heard that an extrovert focuses on people which is rubbish really because everyone focuses on people. An extrovert might enjoy interacting and get energy from talking to people, but what about someone who enjys being around people but enjoys watching and listening to them? Their energy is focused on people (an extroverted trait) but they don't feel the need to be talking non stop (which is somewhat of an introverted trait although extrovert doesn't equal talkative so its not necessarily introverted at all!). How do you decide between the two?

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I sometimes get confused in deciding that either, you can't put people in boxes you know.. We are people we're complicated..
However people who I met for the first time usually tend to think I'm a shy person and kind of sweet, but generally I don't find it hard to introduce myself to new people and be open to them in just few minutes, and instantly make a good impression.. I might be a lovely mixture of shyness and outgoing [emoji28][emoji5] I love people and love to make new acquaintance and friends, I rarely sit by the wall or on a corner in a social occasion, I'm socializing almost all the time..
So I think actually I'm more of an Extrovert than Introvert, but I have a strong N [emoji4]

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I considered myself an introvert for almost 30 years. I always knew I wasn't as outgoing as my brother (ENTP) or my second sister (ENFP) or my mom (ENFP) or my best childhood friend (EFSP). I spent a lot of time alone, I like solitary activities, I was not as outgoing as I thought I should be, spending a lot of time brooding over life.

But I realize now that was a reaction to a difficult childhood at home. In truth, I was always the most outspoken student from pre-school to grad school. My writing isn't objective, but always persuasive, with an audience in mind. I make friends extremely easy and enjoy chatting with them. I don't get drained from people.

I ultimately realized that my introverted self was merely a ego-construct designed to protect myself from pain.

Now maybe I am just a social extrovert not a cognitive one..... it is an open issue.....

My wife always seemed to be an extrovert, but she needs quiet alone time to recharge. I love quiet alone time and I feel good with it, but I get energized from time with friends.....

Destiny

A wannabe dog
I'm having trouble deciding between introversion and extroversion. I know its not as simple as 'extroverts are loud and obnoxious' and 'introverts are shy and hermits', its to do with where you get you're energy from but what exactly does that mean? I've heard that an extrovert focuses on people which is rubbish really because everyone focuses on people. An extrovert might enjoy interacting and get energy from talking to people, but what about someone who enjys being around people but enjoys watching and listening to them? Their energy is focused on people (an extroverted trait) but they don't feel the need to be talking non stop (which is somewhat of an introverted trait although extrovert doesn't equal talkative so its not necessarily introverted at all!). How do you decide between the two?

I define introversion and extroversion by how one perceives this world.

Do you perceive this world through an extroverted function - Ne, Se, Fe, Te or do you perceive this world through an introverted function - Ni, Ti, Fi, Si?

I'm an Ne dom for example, and I'm actually quite shy and reserved for an extrovert, and this made me mistype myself into INFP for quite some time. But after reflecting awhile, I realized that I am actually an extrovert because I am energized by the external world. I am energized by ideas. I get excited whenever I have a new idea in mind, whenever I am talking about ideas. I feel happy whenever there is something that stimulates my mind, whether it's some intellectual debates, or some other form of puzzles for me to solve.

Gawain

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If it's difficult for you, you are probably near the middle. I think of each of the MBTI letters as a sort of sliding scale. The nearer you are the the center on a particular letter, the longer it takes to figure out which side you lean toward. I'm an INFP, but I can be pretty extraverted. Sometimes I'll actually get energized by being around people, and get all excited, and can't sleep after a big party. But most of the time, I have a sort of social expiration date. And after a few hours of socializing I'll get all tired and cranky and just want to leave for some peace and quiet. So I'm on the introvert side of things, but sometimes I'll question it. If I were to guess at my percentage, I'd say I'm 60% introvert and 40% extrovert.

Most people have at least one letter that's a bit close. For me, the closest is N/S. It's was near impossible for me to choose. I only started noticing a slight lean toward the N side after years of observation, I'm so close to the center. If it helps, you can use X as a place holder for awhile. I was IXFP for years, and read a lot about INFPs and ISFPs until I started to have a more pronounced side. Look into the functions for the different types you could be, too. That might help. I noticed my functional stack also made sense for someone near the middle. It wasn't quite one type or the other.

c-jade

daisies and thunderstorms
MBTI Type
ENFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel like people take introversion especially to an extreme, as if being introverted means you don't like being around people at all and would be alone all the time if you could. It's not that black and white. I'm just now realizing that I'm more introverted, but I am still a pretty outgoing person and feel perfectly comfortable striking up conversations with people. The difference is that if I had to pick my perfect number of people to spend personal time with, it would be no more than 4. And, as another member here so perfectly put it, I am more my "true self" when I'm alone than when I'm with others. I also may feel fine talking to people but don't openly share a lot of personal information, which may be more of an introverted trait, I'm not sure.

Point is, you can be outgoing and be an introvert, or be quieter but be an extrovert, in my opinion. It's more about what your preference is as far as the number of people you like to be around, and whether you feel more comfortable being yourself around people or alone. And as far as the energies aspect of it, the simplified explanation is if you're at a party and you leave feeling tired, you're an introvert. If you leave feeling pumped up and energized, you're an extrovert. But again, I don't think it's quite so black and white.

Lark

I would say that the basic distinction would be whether or not you find others draining to be around and interact with or revitalising to be around and interact with.

That's the basic distinction but there are many nuances to that, there are people who are a drain upon others whether they are introverts or extroverts, introverts may get drained faster around those sorts of people than extroverts but I think its to do with other things than introversion-extroversion, like whether someone is toxic or not etc. etc.

I think whether you are a talker or listener or observer are all more probable to be influenced by other cognitive sets and how they are expressed or interact with the introversion and extroversion.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Extravert orients his psyche more based on external world. Introvert orients his psyche more based on inner world. When you take in account the 4 functions and add I or E to them, you get types. Type is not how someone behaves or something like that, but attitudes on how he perceives and processes information. This outgoing thing or other traits of behavior are just stereotypes that often come with type.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No we are not.

When I read your comment I just sense you're an INFJ I I knew it!
you are not complicated I can read your mind already [emoji48]

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Everyone needs time to be alone and introspect sometimes, even extroverts. Introverts just need a hell of a lot more of this time than extroverts do.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh damn. Now I need to change again and masquerade myself better.

I have an intimidatingly strong N I can catch you wherever you go [emoji12][emoji102]

Paladin-X

Are you more interested in an actual definition or a description of the two? Your examples are more along the lines of describing.

Here are Jung's definitions:

Extraversion

Means an outward-turning of the libido (q.v.). With this concept I denote a manifest relatedness of subject to object in the sense of a positive movement of subjective interest towards the object. Everyone in the state of extraversion thinks, feels, and acts in relation to the object, and moreover in a direct and clearly observable fashion, so that no doubt can exist about his positive dependence upon the object. In a sense, therefore, extraversion is an outgoing transference of interest from the subject to the object. If it is an intellectual extraversion, the subject thinks himself into the object; if a feeling extraversion, then the subject feels himself into the object. The state of extraversion means a strong, if not exclusive, determination by the object. One should speak of an active extraversion when deliberately willed, and of a passive extraversion when the object compels it, i.e. attracts the interest of the subject of its own accord, even against the tatter's intention. Should the state of extraversion become habitual, the extroverted type (v. Type) appears.

Introversion

Means a turning inwards of the libido (q.v.), whereby a negative relation of subject to object is expressed. Interest does not move towards the object, but recedes towards the subject. Everyone whose attitude is introverted thinks, feels, and acts in a way that clearly demonstrates that the subject is the chief factor of motivation while the object at most receives only a secondary value. Introversion may possess either a more intellectual or more emotional character, just as it can be characterized by either intuition or sensation. Introversion is active, when the subject wills a certain seclusion in face of the object; it is passive when the subject is unable to restore again to the object the libido which is streaming back from it. When introversion is habitual, one speaks of an introverted type (v. Type).

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Extraversion : Focus on things
Introversion: Focus on impressions of things

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I'm pretty sure you can be an introvert and like people and socializing and all that stuff. I'm pretty sure you can be an extrovert and need to slap some headphones on your ears and tune out the world every single day. I have no idea why this is so critical to define one way or another.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

In terms of functions, extroversion and introversion are more to do with the balance between action and contemplation than sociability. Introverts spend more time thinking, extroverts more time doing. Sadly, one of the easiest ways to tell introverts and extroverts apart is by asking "Are you more likely to act without thought, or hesitate too long?"

Shaedow

These are the facets taken fro the MBTI step II manual (worth looking into)

Extraverting:
Initiating
Expressive
Gregarious
Active
Enthusiastic

Introverting:
Receiving
Contained
Intimate
Reflective
Quiet

Essentially the extrovert orientates themselves to be receptive of the world around them, to engage it and people. The extrovert will seek out such objects, are often loud people who will share what is on their mind. They are enthusiastic individuals and like to be engage with what is in their surroundings and immerse themselves in the events currently unfolding.

The introvert is much more hesitant, often they will wait for others to engage them, and don't share everything (maybe nothing at times with others). The introvert is often much more quieter, and prefers to reflect on events rather than being involved in the events as they are happening.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Extraversion = Object > Subject
Introversion = Subject > Object

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mis-typed as an introvert for years. Only once I discovered that I was a natural extrovert, whereas my wife is a natural introvert, could I make sense of the distinction. I dislike Keirsey's description (presuming he came up with the "where do you go to get energized" formula). Being an extrovert is exhausting. I don't "re-charge" (as Kiersey, I think, suggested) being extroverted. For me, it's a question of orientation.

My wife, the introvert, is self focused. When she is worried about something, she worries about how whatever she says or does will make others think or feel about her. My focus, on the other hand, is extraverted. I worry about how what I say and do will make others feel about themselves. My object is to affect the way others feel as a Fe-dominant ENFj. I want to make people react. That way I know I am alive. An inability to get a reaction out of others causes me to feel alone and non-existent. My wife, the introvert, on the other hand, has little interest in getting reactions out of people in order to validate her sense of self or confirm her existence. Her concern is for what others will think about and/or do to her as a result of her actions or inaction. It's a question of focus. The extrovert needs validation from the outside. The introvert wants validation from the inside.

Or, so I speculate ... for what that's worth.