• Sensing; 25-40 years

0 0%
  • iNtuiting; 25-40 years

3 10.00%
123 Last

MBTI
    type

Smile Time and Type (S/N)

A preference for Sensing or iNtuiting can affect how far out you make your long-term plans.

If you know your preference, Sensing or iNtuiting, answer the poll. Let's see if there are any correlations!

Clarification Notes:
    Plans don't need to be set in stone, detailed, or actually carried out, but should be a firm set of guides with associated actions that you try to perform.

For example,
    • Daydreaming about being a best-seller author but not actually writing anything is not a plan.
    • Planning to be a best-seller author, writing and studying writing, and considering publishing options are parts of an actual plan. Actually becoming a best-seller author is probably dependent on forces outside of your control.

Your current age will probably affect the outcomes as well. Let's not worry about that.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    intp

I have a rough draft for the next ten years of my life, but it's entirely flexible.

MBTI
    type

Ten years, huh? Cool.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

MBTI
    INTP

I have a vague plan to get a promotion at work within the next year, so I voted 6 -12 months. Other than that, I'm lucky to plan more than a week in advance (apart from what I'm forced to do at work). I have some idea of when I'll next have a vacation but I haven't decided on the month or location.

Plans, nah. I prefer to wing it.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

I've had a 'rough draft' of my entire life since my teens. Life surprises me and circumstances change. I recently found in journals where I took time to make detailed outlines of what I wanted to achieve in 10 year increments and the steps necessary. Have my plans worked out? Not exactly no...I'm behind schedule! I am one of those odd people who thinks about the details of when is the right time to go to the nursing home, what my funeral should look/sound like etc.etc. I find satisfaction in planning things though I am fairly adaptable which doesn't sound like they would go together I know. I always think "hmmm well scratch that let's try again". I have had some major life changes (good ones YAAAA!) so it's time. The big 30 is coming up for me too so you can bet I will be busily writing out a revision.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    A preference for Sensing or iNtuiting can affect how far out you make your long-term plans.

If you know your preference, Sensing or iNtuiting, answer the poll. Let's see if there are any correlations!

Clarification Notes:
    Plans don't need to be set in stone, detailed, or actually carried out, but should be a firm set of guides with associated actions that you try to perform.

For example,
    • Daydreaming about being a best-seller author but not actually writing anything is not a plan.
    • Planning to be a best-seller author, writing and studying writing, and considering publishing options are parts of an actual plan. Actually becoming a best-seller author is probably dependent on forces outside of your control.

Your current age will probably affect the outcomes as well. Let's not worry about that.
    I think daydreaming about being a best-selling author would be NP, would it not? While the NJ would make the daydream real, yes?

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I think daydreaming about being a best-selling author would be NP, would it not? While the NJ would make the daydream real, yes?
    No, I don't think so. NPs do make plans and get things done, although I suspect an NP's plans probably factor in more "unknown unknowns."

For example, I think NJs may be happier with traditional project management and NPs may be happier with extreme project management.

MBTI
    type

I'll let the cat out of the bag now.

S and N are related to time-orientation. There was a study done to see if there was any kind of correlation between S:N preference and life-planning. As you might suspect, there did seem to be a correlation. Sensors tended to look forward in shorter increments than did iNtuitors. Interestingly, INTJs had the longest look forward, up to 40 years.

I'm trying to locate the results of the study at the moment, but I seem to have mislaid my notes.

I don't think there was any data on the age of the respondents, which I think is also important. I know my own plans have lengthened from when I was 20 (I'm now 37), so I wonder if that's generally true.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    I'll let the cat out of the bag now.

S and N are related to time-orientation. There was a study done to see if there was any kind of correlation between S:N preference and life-planning. As you might suspect, there did seem to be a correlation. Sensors tended to look forward in shorter increments than did iNtuitors. Interestingly, INTJs had the longest look forward, up to 40 years.

I'm trying to locate the results of the study at the moment, but I seem to have mislaid my notes.
    I don't make any plans at all for the future, really. I suspect this has more to do with being nihilistic rather than having anything to do with iNtuitivness.

PROTEST!

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    I don't make any plans at all for the future, really. I suspect this has more to do with being nihilistic rather than having anything to do with iNtuitivness.

PROTEST!