User Tag List

12 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Default Function Exercises

Let's collect a bunch of exercises to strengthen the MBTI functions. I have two questions for you:

1) How do you know that you need to make a certain function stronger?

2) How do you do that?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I hate to rain on your parade, but aside from relevance issues:
    1. It's weak?
    2. If it's possible, I sure don't know.

I don't know if practice make them stronger, but this book has a section that has activities to engage particular cognitive functions (all pertaining to apples).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    1. It's weak?
    Well, I guess the question changes to "how do you know it's weak?"

Banned
    MBTI
    type

*shrug* I don't like functional analysis. It results in questions like that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I hate to rain on your parade, but aside from relevance issues:
    1. It's weak?
    2. If it's possible, I sure don't know.
    I think it is very relevant.

I have been wondering this very thing myself lately. I need to develop the ability to attend to specific details. (Like, ISTJ specific.) My brain does. not. work. this. way. It just doesn't. But I'm sure there are exercises I could utilize that would help me at least strengthen this weakness at least somewhat.

And the relevancy? Survival in the real world outside of school. It's easy to be yourself when you just have to take tests and pass classes, but when you work daily with a boss of a very different type, and you *need* that paycheck, it becomes very, very relevant to be able to strengthen such skills.

Any cognitive psychology majors here?? I remember my mom, who teaches special ed, had some arrow chart that kids had to work with to improve their attention. Or something.
    Hugs,

Jen
    ~~~~~~~~
    "We must apply our humble efforts to build a more just and humane world. I want to affirm emphatically: such a world is possible. To create this new society we must reach out our hands, without hatred and rancour, for reconciliation and peace, with unfaltering determination in the defense of truth and justice. We know we cannot plant seeds with closed fists. To sow we must open our hands."

~Adolfo Esquivel

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Let's collect a bunch of exercises to strengthen the MBTI functions. I have two questions for you:

1) How do you know that you need to make a certain function stronger?

2) How do you do that?
    Don't you listen to the bad Jack Flak person. He's on "medication" called "vodka" that causes him to "drunk post". It's a serious yet treatable condition.

1. I only realize that I need to shore up a function, like my notoriously weak Se, when something occurs to reveal the glaring weakness. Missed cues go right over my head, but my sister catches them and then looks at me like, "Surely you saw t... you didn't. That's so sad." S-cues are the hardest ones for me to process or even make myself aware of.

2. I watch my sister like a baby bear who's learning what's good to eat by the adult bears. Then I store it for later. Once I'm made aware, I stay aware. Otherwise, it's just a black hole of obliviousness that I will never be conscious of until something happens to make it "real". I try to apply my weak Se to practical helpful matters like cleaning the kitchen.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Flush View Post
    Yeah; it helped me understand the functions a lot;especially the way he breaks them down into different parts (and he does the same in his book on Facets of Type, which my Step II graph is based on).
    Dario Nardi's 8 Keys to Self-Leadership was a similar, but more detailed book on improving function use as well.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

You don't need to make any of your functions stronger. Just be yourself. Your cognitive functions develop naturally as you age.

The only reason I'm interested in playing around with different cognitive functions and strengthening my weaker ones is so I can get along with different kinds of people. (So I can get promoted at work, get stuff done, and have more fun doing it on the side.)

I guess learning the different cog functions is like learning a language or a new culture, but fluency is much, much, harder and subtler. You can read personality type theory until it's coming out of your ears, but actually doing it - putting the functions into practice, especially your shadow functions - takes lots of observation and experience. I don't think that we're hard-wired to be our MBTI types, and you can train yourself to be something else in a matter of time. (But based on our developmental psychology, there are limits to how much you can change yourself, of course.) I guess improv comedians/actors are probably really good at this.

Basically, I'm doing this so I can get people-fluency in the same way that I have fluency in the English language and American culture. The book is a great idea.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%