• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Function Exercises

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Let's collect a bunch of exercises to strengthen the MBTI functions. I have two questions for you:

1) How do you know that you need to make a certain function stronger?

2) How do you do that?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I hate to rain on your parade, but aside from relevance issues:
1. It's weak?
2. If it's possible, I sure don't know.

ygolo

My termites win
I don't know if practice make them stronger, but this book has a section that has activities to engage particular cognitive functions (all pertaining to apples).

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
*shrug* I don't like functional analysis. It results in questions like that.

sophiedoph

MBTI Type
INFJ
I hate to rain on your parade, but aside from relevance issues:
1. It's weak?
2. If it's possible, I sure don't know.

I think it is very relevant.

I have been wondering this very thing myself lately. I need to develop the ability to attend to specific details. (Like, ISTJ specific.) My brain does. not. work. this. way. It just doesn't. But I'm sure there are exercises I could utilize that would help me at least strengthen this weakness at least somewhat.

And the relevancy? Survival in the real world outside of school. It's easy to be yourself when you just have to take tests and pass classes, but when you work daily with a boss of a very different type, and you *need* that paycheck, it becomes very, very relevant to be able to strengthen such skills.

Any cognitive psychology majors here?? I remember my mom, who teaches special ed, had some arrow chart that kids had to work with to improve their attention. Or something.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Let's collect a bunch of exercises to strengthen the MBTI functions. I have two questions for you:

1) How do you know that you need to make a certain function stronger?

2) How do you do that?

Don't you listen to the bad Jack Flak person. He's on "medication" called "vodka" that causes him to "drunk post". It's a serious yet treatable condition.

1. I only realize that I need to shore up a function, like my notoriously weak Se, when something occurs to reveal the glaring weakness. Missed cues go right over my head, but my sister catches them and then looks at me like, "Surely you saw t... you didn't. That's so sad." S-cues are the hardest ones for me to process or even make myself aware of.

2. I watch my sister like a baby bear who's learning what's good to eat by the adult bears. Then I store it for later. Once I'm made aware, I stay aware. Otherwise, it's just a black hole of obliviousness that I will never be conscious of until something happens to make it "real". I try to apply my weak Se to practical helpful matters like cleaning the kitchen.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah; it helped me understand the functions a lot;especially the way he breaks them down into different parts (and he does the same in his book on Facets of Type, which my Step II graph is based on).
Dario Nardi's 8 Keys to Self-Leadership was a similar, but more detailed book on improving function use as well.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
You don't need to make any of your functions stronger. Just be yourself. Your cognitive functions develop naturally as you age.

The only reason I'm interested in playing around with different cognitive functions and strengthening my weaker ones is so I can get along with different kinds of people. (So I can get promoted at work, get stuff done, and have more fun doing it on the side.)

I guess learning the different cog functions is like learning a language or a new culture, but fluency is much, much, harder and subtler. You can read personality type theory until it's coming out of your ears, but actually doing it - putting the functions into practice, especially your shadow functions - takes lots of observation and experience. I don't think that we're hard-wired to be our MBTI types, and you can train yourself to be something else in a matter of time. (But based on our developmental psychology, there are limits to how much you can change yourself, of course.) I guess improv comedians/actors are probably really good at this.

Basically, I'm doing this so I can get people-fluency in the same way that I have fluency in the English language and American culture. The book is a great idea.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
If you want to develop a function then study an activity that uses that function a lot. This works particularly well if you like the activity. For example if you want to develop Ti then study Math or Philosophy. If you want to develop Se then play sports. If you want to practice Fe, then go out and try to make a bunch of friends. Etc....

sleepless

MBTI Type
INFJ
The only function you need to train is your 4th (Aspirational) - through your Leading function. Training your 4th (or any function) in a way that makes it temporarily take your Leading's place can be an interesting experiment with different ego-states and the like, but besides from that, if you're not actually about to switch type, it won't do anything good - it just turns everything upside down, your ordinary 1st becomes your 4th and so on, which makes everything very unstable. However, if you approach it indirectly, through your 1st, then you can maintain your basic approach to life and at the same time add way more depth to it - the 1st function must be directed to the 4th, it can't stay within itself (and it won't).

Something like that.