• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I versus E: It's not how much you talk, but how you talk.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Brendan is 100% right. There is no doubt about it whatsoever. I'm an E, but I'm kind of shy around people I don't know, and when I socialize for long periods of time for many days in a row, I feel the desperate need to be alone. But... when I talk, I talk without thinking a whole lot. I'll often bring up a point and have zero evidence in mind to back it up, and know it, and have to literally say "wait a sec, let me think" in order to make my point and (partially) regain my dignity. Plus, I've always known that I write more eloquently than I speak. I give your theory an A+ :D

Now the train is back on track.

Thank you! :D

Yeah like: "well it is ten o clock in the morning and we have nothing to do. Let us do something unusual and new. Let us go to a bar."

My reaction: "yes, I am so in, lets go, I go in, you come after I order 5 beer for us, alright!" xD

*5 minutes later*

"Where is entropie?" - "Look there he lies drunken between those chairs" xDD

:doh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The reason I asked is because you seem to reason a lot more like an INTP than an ENTP, but no one can make a judgment on that alone, especially since it appears that English might not be your first language.
I was just wondering how sure you are because you were using yourself as an example to nullify the theory.

I am pretty sure. There are not pretty much differences between intp and entp (just according to the functions). But when it comes to me, it was my heart that has got me in every trouble in my live. I am the guy you like to introduce to your grandma, cause I now every style necessary to behave like a gentleman. And I am the guy, who is driven by his need for alteration, change, novelity and difference.

My dad is iStP and my mom is iSfJ, so I learned alot about introverted reasoning all my life.

But I dumbned that eventually and started a career in drugs, no hard drugs, just the good old marijuahna xD.

I know two iNTp's from around my colleagues, who did that well and they got pretty good along with it. It maybe gave them ideas, possibilities to developed their intuition.

As far as it goes for me, it brought me on the verge of crazy. Something like the scourge of the galaxy. When I was intoxicated, I waited and watched. listened to the music of people speaking and picked out. Then I started out of a feeling, I denounced the whole group of people sitting in front of me, but not with logical reasoning, just by a feeling and so noone understood me.

I grew very lonely. Spending months alone at home, really not being sociable. On my peak, I stood with a bottle in my hand, in front of my father and blamed him for everything I have felt in those days. I can not describe it further, cause I barely remember it. This was the turning point in my life.

I started to drag myself out of this world and to get clear again in my mind. And I did it all by myself. Eventually I signed in with University and through my studies in engineering I have become a very reasonable and rational man, but not a blind one.

I see now that this has again grown too far. It is maybe the turning point, when there is need to have a little bit more faith in ones Extroverted Intuition again.

Why I think I am entp and not intp is: my memory is bad (Si) but my feelings and behaviour in society are (again) great (Fe). The strongest point there are my feelings. They have been a constant pain in the ass throughout my entire life

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I guess after all, it is pretty hard to decide between intp and entp. I got my own image of entp's and intp's by now and I just think entp's tend to be more friendly. Most of the times I dread the intp guys, cause their answer are nonsense and helping noone.

Usehername

On a mission
It probably has more to do with the fact that poking fun at Canadians is something of an American pastime lolz.

Do you guys have a show about that one? Our version of it is called "Talking With Americans" where they go to the States and ask random people or politically important people or Harvard profs questions and make you guys look like idiots.

YouTube - Ric Mercer Talking with Americans

examples of things they've done:
*congratulating the Canadian government on building a dome over its "national igloo" (apparently a downsized version of the United States Capitol made out of ice) to protect it from global warming (one of the interview subjects so fooled was Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee).
*persuading Americans to congratulate Canada on legalizing VCRs or adopting the twenty-four-hour day, (ex-Iowa governor Tom Vilsack was fooled by this one).
*asking Harvard university students and professors to sign a petition against the Saskatchewan seal hunt and the Toronto polar bear hunt.
*congratulating Canadians on classifying Labrador Retrievers as elephants as to prevent them from being used for hard labour.
*tricking Americans into thinking that Canada did not have "high-tech" things such as airplanes, paved roads or FM radio.
* * stating that in the last 30 years Canadians did not have any election recounts because Canadians use birch branches or pine cones as voting tokens.
* congratulating Canadians on offering bilingual tours of Joe Clark's Hole.
* asking if Canada should have a navy even though it is a land-locked country. (Canada is not in fact landlocked, having shores on the Atlantic, Pacific, and Arctic Oceans, and has a navy, the Canadian Forces Maritime Command or MARCOM)

The most famous segment, aired in 2000, featured Mercer asking then-presidential candidate George W. Bush – who had previously stated that "you can't stump me on world leaders" – for his reaction to an endorsement by Canadian Prime Minister "Jean Poutine".

Bush said he looked forward to working together with his future counterpart to the north, praising free trade and Canada. That said, Bush never actually used the name of Poutine and only failed to correct Mercer on the name. A few years later, when Bush made his first official visit to Canada, he said during a speech, "There's a prominent citizen who endorsed me in the 2000 election, and I wanted a chance to finally thank him for that endorsement. I was hoping to meet Jean Poutine."[1]

*asking students and professors at Columbia University to sign a petition asking Canadians to discontinue the practice of abandoning the elderly on ice floes.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think it is invalid, I do not think out loud, I give it time to think things through and I hold my position in a discussion. When I face new input, I take it into consideration and think it through.

I am overly enthusiastic though and do things without thinking first. But I do not change my conceptual thinking of a matter in the middle of a discussion. I rather try to see, if my concept still holds during and after the conversation. And I present it and watch how other's see it.

But I do not think out loud. Do not even know, how thinking could still work in such an approach. It contradicts the very meaning of the word "thinking" itself.

Your thinking is introverted.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
E vs I is something I've thought about recently... okay mostly to kill off the rumours about my type being ENTP but also just cause it interests me...

Anyhow, what was said to me was that extroversion and introversion has nothing to do with talking or energy, these are merely characteristics associated with it. It is directly linked to which arena you prefer, the internal mindscape or the external landscape. Now I can't put into words why I found this useful as precise definitions of either escape me thus far, however I think it could be useful in regards to not how you talk but what you talk about.

Would it be more accurate to say that introverts may or may not be chatty but you will find more internal references in their conversation than with extroverts? Sort of like the introvert is linking things up in their own heads and by doing so tends to bring the stuff back out in conversation with some random bits tacked on. I guess the best parallel would be putting all the ideas in your attic or your shed and then when you bring them back out again they have some of the cobwebs still attached.

I should just qualify that in no way is either exclusive. Many ENFPs I know do a great line in mindscapes and can spend many hours, days and weeks seeming more like an introvert because of it.

As an aside, I think there's another indicator to E vs I. Most Es who I know and who are less than well developed have a distinct dislike to looking at themselves, introspection. Of course I've known lots of Is with confidence problems and they can seem defensive at the best of times but when comparing how comfortable someone is with introspection as opposed to normal conversation Is seem to have much less of a difference between the two than Es, as a general observation.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It is directly linked to which arena you prefer, the internal mindscape or the external landscape.
Excellent, I love that.
Hard to flesh out to the newcomer, though.
But yes, that is the major thrust, much more than how much talking (or writing) a person does.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I like your idea...

functions...

INFP (Fi, Ne, Si, Te)
ENFP (Ne, Fi, Te, Si)
ENFJ (Fe, Ni, Se, Ti)
INFJ (Ni, Fe, Ti, Se)

its more of a J/P difference, if you want to use function notation. an INFP is going to use Ne less then say an ENFP. and and ENFP is going to use Ne where a ENFJ might use Fe.

don't forget the difference between S/N...nice big communication barrier lol