User Tag List

12 Last

Default What is the point of the 16-Types?

and the dichotomies?
    and the functions?
    and the temperaments?
    and the interaction styles?

There is a lot of theory, and I've read and become versed in a lot of it. I even used to debate an awful lot about so-and-so's type on this forum.

But what really is the point?

Is it not that different from a parlour game, or astrology?

Do we actually gain insight about real people by studying these theories?

Here is the basic issue I see. Virtually no one wants to be stereotyped, and limited by the descriptions. However, if they are to have any value at all (beyond, "some people may see it differently" realizations that can happen with just the aid of good communication techniques), the theories must make distinctions.

When I joined this forum, I put my type down as IxxP. I and P are still my strong preferences, but the functions, temperaments, and interaction styles all point to INTP (Ti dom w/ Ne>>Se, Promethean, Behind-the-Scenes). But how is that supposed to help me? When I am able to type someone else, how is that supposed to help?

If we keep our notions about others based on type to ourselves, they can fester, and be quite off the mark, and never challenged or corrected.

However, if we discuss our thoughts, we are invariably going to be talking about stereotypes, which invariably get responses of the form, "but not all A are B" (which are invariably true responses).

So how do we engage in discourse about the theories?

A lot of questions, I know. But I somehow still believe there is a kernel of truth behing all this--the stuff we kinda collectively call Myers-Briggs typing. I have become very disillusioned however. Maybe I just don't want to admit that I wasted several months of reading?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

For me the point is better communication. I've sucked at it most of my life, and reading about this type stuff has given me so much insight into understanding other people's motivations and learning better how to connect with them. It's been totally awesome, I've had such great conversations with people that I otherwise might never have connected at all with, and I've even gained some understanding of people that I used to have a strong dislike for because I couldn't fathom what it was like to think like they do. Now I may still not be able to imagine thinking like an NT, NF, or SJ but I can see more of their views as not being so completely foreign to me.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

i agree for the most part with jeffster. i never thought as myself as antisocial or anything like that, but there has been and will be times when i just don't understand where someone is coming from. i mean i can just stop talking and try and get along, but many times i really would not find it too logical. MBTI helps me heaps with this. it also helps when i'm meeting new people.

MBTI
    INtP

I think that the most important thing for me with the whole typology thing isn't really the specifics - it's the understanding that there are folks out there who I have to try harder to communicate and relate to. It also gives me a bit of a frustration-fighter when someone's *not* giving me any room to be myself - at least it gives me an avenue to understand what might be going on and what approaches might help.

Thanks for your insights guys.

I am curious of any of you would be interested in fleshing out your experiences with examples (I'm not asking for names, just a few more specifics)?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am curious of any of you would be interested in fleshing out your experiences with examples (I'm not asking for names, just a few more specifics)?
    Here's one example I posted in another thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post284067

For another example. I was looking for a post or more I made about my conversations with one of my co-workers (INFJ), but I guess I have mostly talked about those in the Vent chat, I couldn't really find one quickly. She and I were talking today about how our conversations used to hit a wall very fast because we were so disconnected. It wasn't because either one of us are unfriendly, in fact quite the opposite is true. But both of us I think dismissed the other one pretty quickly as just being too different to have much of a meaningful conversation. We would occasionally have better ones, but they would sometimes end up as arguments or just reach some awkward point where one or both of us would get frustrated and just roll our eyes at the other and drop it. Since re-discovering the personality type stuff a few months ago, and introducing it to my co-worker, we have had tons of great conversations and learned tons more about each other and gained insight to our past relationships, our current ones, and more about other people too. She's read stuff that has helped her better understand some of the actions and words of her husband (ISFJ) as well as me and other co-workers, friends, and family members. It's moved some roadblocks out of the way and allowed us to maybe not get as frustrated by each other or other people of different types. It doesn't mean I'm gonna understand completely what it's like to be NJ, just as she's not gonna fully understand what it's like to be SP, but we can meet each other somewhere in the middle, and connect on our common IF-ness as well as tolerate our differences a little better.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I've become much more tolerant.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I am beginning to realize that I live in S-world. I never noticed those glasses wearing heads around me all my live, who dont smile, who just seem to function.

I have grown a habit of ignoring them or developing an antipathy against them.

Now that I know something about ISTJ's, I see them from a completly new perspective. I always thought them to be the people, who dont change or grow. But I am becoming to understand that they like change and growth excatly the same way I do. They just approach it more cautious.

While I thought myself to be lost forever in the world of androids. I have gained hope again and see myself more as someone now, who can make some peoples lifes a bit more intresting, if they want me too.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ

Well, *I* am beginning to realize that everyone should be INFJ.

Seriously though, I am very much into the functions as a way to understand people, myself and others... On the other hand a risk with MBTI and similar systems/theories is that you start indulging in them, getting too much into details and missing out in the big picture. Then it's become a habit as bad as any other, you read tons of stuff but don't actually learn anything new.

(On the other other hand, that is me as an INFJ speaking - in MBTI terms it's my childish Ti "tertiary temptation" blocking my Ni, so maybe it's really an INFJ problem. Still I don't see how indulging in theory can be constructive for anyone.)

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
    Well, *I* am beginning to realize that everyone should be INFJ.
    :horor: