User Tag List

First 12

I've become aware of my need to build extraverted sensing (my auxillary)
    How I have over relied on introverted thinking.
    Reflecting to decide on my type has helped justed as much as knowing what type I am.
    I learnt the most from the functions. The dominant and auxillary and how you use them.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    and the dichotomies?
    and the functions?
    and the temperaments?
    and the interaction styles?

There is a lot of theory, and I've read and become versed in a lot of it. I even used to debate an awful lot about so-and-so's type on this forum.

But what really is the point?

Is it not that different from a parlour game, or astrology?

Do we actually gain insight about real people by studying these theories?

Here is the basic issue I see. Virtually no one wants to be stereotyped, and limited by the descriptions. However, if they are to have any value at all (beyond, "some people may see it differently" realizations that can happen with just the aid of good communication techniques), the theories must make distinctions.

When I joined this forum, I put my type down as IxxP. I and P are still my strong preferences, but the functions, temperaments, and interaction styles all point to INTP (Ti dom w/ Ne>>Se, Promethean, Behind-the-Scenes). But how is that supposed to help me? When I am able to type someone else, how is that supposed to help?

If we keep our notions about others based on type to ourselves, they can fester, and be quite off the mark, and never challenged or corrected.

However, if we discuss our thoughts, we are invariably going to be talking about stereotypes, which invariably get responses of the form, "but not all A are B" (which are invariably true responses).

So how do we engage in discourse about the theories?

A lot of questions, I know. But I somehow still believe there is a kernel of truth behing all this--the stuff we kinda collectively call Myers-Briggs typing. I have become very disillusioned however. Maybe I just don't want to admit that I wasted several months of reading?
    I feel exactly like you do, ygolo.

I've basically decided that all MBTI tells us is how we see ourselves, and allows us to tell other people how we see them, relative to a stereotype. It also allows us to discuss possible reasons for some people behaving/believing one thing, and others not doing so. Or even explain why we relate to each other so well. I guess for me, it's become a good conversation topic, because there's so much to talk about, that evokes so many different ideas.

Basically, I'm still here because I can't stop thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I feel exactly like you do, ygolo.

I've basically decided that all MBTI tells us is how we see ourselves, and allows us to tell other people how we see them, relative to a stereotype. It also allows us to discuss possible reasons for some people behaving/believing one thing, and others not doing so. Or even explain why we relate to each other so well. I guess for me, it's become a good conversation topic, because there's so much to talk about, that evokes so many different ideas.

Basically, I'm still here because I can't stop thinking about it.
    That's why I am here too. I think there are some good points made about being more tolerant, and attempting to use functional analysis to improve general functioning.

Though, in a way, just tacking stock of a lot of difference between people, and simply approaching people with a mind-set that this person is different from me, and has the same level and right to free expression and choice as I do, is enough for tolerance.

If Myers-Briggs was the way people came to see that, then it I think it is a good thing.

I haven't had terribly much luck with functional analysis for personal growth. But the idea the your first function is extroverted (or introverted) while your second is introverted (or extroverted) seems to be a good guide for balance, whether or not the functional analysis itself is accurate.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

the cool thing about MBTI, or jungian functions, is that you can use one little term to describe an entire set of processing behaviors. it's like a verbal shortcut.

it's also a useful tool for trying to understand people -- i'd say it makes up 10%ish of how i systematize a person. the danger is putting too much weight into it -- stuff like a person's past trauma holds much much more weight than type in terms of understanding their motivations.

(sorry for the convoluted sentences, i'm on some painkillers)

MBTI
    INTJ

I have been thinking about it a lot lately.

For me it is a tool for self understanding, but it is only one of the tools I use in for self understanding. I think there is a trap in the self understanding though. Each type is only a "best fit" which means your type is not a perfect fit, only the closest type. The trap is to look at all the stuff for your type and assume it all applies to you. The temptation is to convince yourself that something fits even when it doesn't.

I think, in terms of self understand, it is more important to look in terms of the functions, not types. I think the fuction strenght may be more significant than the order. For example if Ti and Fi scores are very close does it matter if you are a T or an F? It comes down to knowing your strenghs and weaknesses.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Here's a sample of how it's helped me personally (the Bulletin of Psychological Type was looking for stories on how type makes a difference in your life, so this was my entry...

My birthday plans this year were very specific:
    • Be up by 5:30 am as usual so I could finish the latest installment of The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency right away.
    • Instead of brewing half regular/half decaf coffee, get out the French press pot and make 100% regular coffee to give me that extra jolt so I’d be all set for a good run.
    • Head out for a10k run by 6:45 to beat the forecasted high temperatures and humidity for the day. My usual run is a bit more than 5k but fitting in a 10k each birthday is my little, “See, you aren’t all that old…yet” trick.
    • Be at the local coffee shop by 9 to take advantage of their birthday treat of a complimentary smoothie and finish a pesky article before 11:30 so I could loaf the rest of the day.

But the night before, the humidity shot up to over 90% and we hadn’t turned on the air conditioner. Our neighbors started shooting off fireworks just after I finally dozed off. A half hour later when the crackers stopped, someone’s car alarm sounded. Then I was hungry, which never happens. As the clock ticked toward midnight, I thought, “I won’t have the energy to run if I get up at 5:30, but if I don’t get up then I won’t be able to read before running and…my birthday is ruined!” I moved to the couch where it’s cooler and heard the clock chime 1, my frustration feeding my insomnia.

Fortunately, a little voice inside me said, Stop being so INFJ. How could being more spontaneous help you out tomorrow (well, actually today but...) I turned off the alarm, because of course the only way to get out for a run would be to get a little more sleep. I reminded myself that the pesky article wasn’t due for another 3 weeks and I didn’t have to do it on my birthday. I could pick up the smoothie any time during the day and didn’t have to sit at the café and work to enjoy it!

How did the day go? I woke up rested at 7:20, made the French press coffee, and noted that a good breeze was blowing. Even though I didn’t start running until 8 and the temperature was climbing, the wind made it tolerable. I decided to make up my mind about distance once I’d finished the first lap around the nature reserve by our house. When I rounded the final turn I took note that my knee wasn’t hurting and I wasn’t all that hot. I went for it and finished the 10k in 1:01. Ten-minute miles, the same pace I’d gone for the last 18 years. Not so old yet.

I did finish the book, had a delightful lunch with my husband, and worked on beading a necklace (a relaxing Sensing activity for this dominant Intuitive), much more of a birthday activity than writing that pesky article.

May knowing your type help you likewise recognize when to use your strengths and when to ditch them in favor of reason, sanity, and a great time!
    edcoaching