• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you ever have an intense craving for nature?

SwimmerGal97

I'm not 100% of my type (ISFP or INFP) and am not sure if this is type related but was wondering if anyone else gets sudden cravings to be in nature? I've asked a few people I know about it and I just get strange looks (which I do find weird as they're art students so your think they'd appreciate nature but it would seem they're more city loving, party loving people) but I sometimes just really want to be sat on a rock watching the waves crash with flying foam and smooth glassy turquoise waves, or the sun setting over the countryside whilst I watch from on top of a hill as the sun makes everything gold and purple heather glow, the mist of autumn mornings in a forest complete with the bite of the chill on my fingers and face or just admire how beautiful everything is whilst frosted in the winter. What function am I using here, if you can tell from that? Is this more of an S thing (its very sensory) or N (as it is imagination)?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know that what you describe is type related; or if it is, I guess it would be tied to S since nature is very concrete and tangible and is THERE, but I'm not sure how much it matters whether it is S or N, just because people of all types can be super into nature and experience what you describe. I know that N's have the total ability to notice things such as you describe, and S's as well.

I am very much drawn to it, I'd say it is what I care most about in the world / it is incredibly important to me - so I get out in it as much as I am able to.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have an odd attitude to the modern world - I think it is to do with how urbanised we've become, at least here in the UK. A lot of the people I know seem almost disturbed by nature. They're happy with neat, formal gardens, but show them real nature and they go "OMG! It's full of ants and weeds!"

As it happens, that's a pretty good description of my garden, and I assure you it's nothing to do with neglect. One of the joys of owning my own house is that it allows me to shape the garden the way I want, which means glass up to my knees and wild flowers growing wherever the fancy takes them. And yes I have an enormous anthill in the back garden, about half a meter high and filled with medow ants, attracted by all the grubs living in the formention grass. There's also a hedgehog somewhere, come to feast on the ants. I've been planting a few follwers amongst the long grass, so there are flashes of colour in the waving green and golden stalks.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Insect, insect everywhere! RUN!:butterflee:

Gawain

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If anything, I think it's Fi. Not everyone with high Fi necessarily likes nature, but many of us find a certain peace out there. It's the primary function for both INFPs and ISFPs, so it's something we share. Me and my ISFP roomy both grew up camping, and so we both crave nature. Neither one of us mind the negatives, because we know how to deal with them and see cities as too noisy to be comfortable all the time.

All the IFPs I happen to know love nature. I live in beautiful Southern California though. So maybe it's because we don't have many of the drawbacks other areas experience. (Rain is easy to predict, as it's not too common, we _usually_ have dry heat, and the bugs are manageable, unlike say , Florida. High wind is rare, and the plant life is friendly unless you have a specific allergy. Even the larger animals are pretty uninimidating for a pair of observant adults.)

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Nature is not just an Fi thing! :)

I absolutely love nature and love spending time in it. I love doing so with people so I can experience the sensations of the outdoors and the joys of being with others. The idea of being alone in nature frightens me. I think being alone in nature is an Fi thing though.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a need of mine.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ If anything I think it can be tied to ones' values, and Fe users have values as well. :) (so in that sense I could see it being Fi, if nature is something you care about, but everyone has Fi to some degree. There are also Fi users who hate nature and have an opposite value system. I don't happen to know them well, since I pretty much hang out with people who value what I value, but I know they exist - I have an ENFP coworker who doesn't like getting out in nature. I also, by contrast, know a few SFJ's who really value it and hike all of the time.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I don't see it as something type related. It's eastetic thing and not a personality. It probably comes from values and experiences. If somebody spent all life in a big city, the person may not feel the charm of the nature- and see only mud and bugs. Of course it depends.

I love to spend time in nature. It's wonderful, it makes me happy.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say that upbringing would play a good part in all of that... my family is equally split between S and N and we ALL have some sort of compulsion towards spending time outdoors, surrounded by nature :shrug:

my parents turned their farm into a nature preserve and keep buying and converting more land over... something like a nature based pair of supervillains building a lair with a buffer zone :laugh:

Kas

Fabula rasa
I'd say that upbringing would play a good part in all of that... my family is equally split between S and N and we ALL have some sort of compulsion towards spending time outdoors, surrounded by nature :shrug:

It's same with my family. It may be contagious.:laugh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's same with my family. It may be contagious.:laugh:

If it's contagious, I should go and spread it to as many people as possible :holy:

only wait... that would involve "mingling" which is kind of dreadful... can I mingle with trees and spread love of nature? :thinking:

Kas

Fabula rasa
If it's contagious, I should go and spread it to as many people as possible :holy:

only wait... that would involve "mingling" which is kind of dreadful... can I mingle with trees and spread love of nature? :thinking:

Haha, we can skip this part.

I infected at least one person and I'm very proud of myself.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it does have a lot to do with upbringing. I spent most of my childhood in the country. Our neighbors had horses and sheep and chickens. Deer would wander into our yard all the time. We lived practically next door to a forest, and my brother and I would play in it with the neighbor kids and build forts and stuff. So yes, I do have an affinity for nature that I might not have if I'd grown up in the city.

I've heard city people say that being out in nature is unnerving. It's too quiet and isolated. But that's where I'm the most at peace. If I'm surrounded by buildings and cars and people for too long, it starts to grate on me, and I have to get away. To me, there's nothing better than being in a forest with a stream or a waterfall nearby, or barefoot on a beach, with the waves swirling around my ankles.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm not 100% of my type (ISFP or INFP) and am not sure if this is type related but was wondering if anyone else gets sudden cravings to be in nature? I've asked a few people I know about it and I just get strange looks (which I do find weird as they're art students so your think they'd appreciate nature but it would seem they're more city loving, party loving people) but I sometimes just really want to be sat on a rock watching the waves crash with flying foam and smooth glassy turquoise waves, or the sun setting over the countryside whilst I watch from on top of a hill as the sun makes everything gold and purple heather glow, the mist of autumn mornings in a forest complete with the bite of the chill on my fingers and face or just admire how beautiful everything is whilst frosted in the winter. What function am I using here, if you can tell from that? Is this more of an S thing (its very sensory) or N (as it is imagination)?

Yeah. I do.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it does have a lot to do with upbringing. I spent most of my childhood in the country. Our neighbors had horses and sheep and chickens. Deer would wander into our yard all the time. We lived practically next door to a forest, and my brother and I would play in it with the neighbor kids and build forts and stuff. So yes, I do have an affinity for nature that I might not have if I'd grown up in the city.

I've heard city people say that being out in nature is unnerving. It's too quiet and isolated. But that's where I'm the most at peace. If I'm surrounded by buildings and cars and people for too long, it starts to grate on me, and I have to get away. To me, there's nothing better than being in a forest with a stream or a waterfall nearby, or barefoot on a beach, with the waves swirling around my ankles.

This is one of the reasons why i live in the burbs and not the city anymore. I can't stand the smell of dead rats, sewage, and urine on every corner.

For me smells are everything.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love the outdoors. I love backpacking to obscure locations without a lot of people. I love spending time in forests, just getting in touch with nature.

I love being near water-lakes, streams, waterfalls, oceans, etc.

I hate that I live somewhere without mountains for the first time in my life.

I do feel a profound spiritual connection to the outdoors.

I do know people who hate the outdoors. I do feel it might be more upbringing rather than type related, but Se likes sensory experiences.....

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't crave nature because I live in it (rual-ish, lakefront, lots of farms and forest all around). I do crave urban settings. I don't know if this is only due to being surrounded by a more natural setting most of the time or if it's a personal preference for being in a city and it's surroundings and people. I don't like camping, backpacking, hiking or anything like that as an activity. I like boating and water sports, winter sports like skiing, skating and hockey or just being outside in the snow.

I had a harder time moving from the inner-city to a populated suburb as a child, more than I had a problem moving from a populated suburb to a rural area as an adult. The sounds and lack of sounds were really unsettling. No police sirens, fire sirens. No gun fire. No adhan early in the morning (there was a mosque about a half mile from our house). These were replaced by quiet, the trains from the Chrysler plant a couple miles away and that was about it.

I do love the peacefulness here and the sky isn't polluted by city lights at night. But nature is loud as hell at times so, I look forward to winter. It is dead silent and everything is frozen until spring. I would not do well in a place that had little to no winter, I'm sure of that.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is one of the reasons why i live in the burbs and not the city anymore. I can't stand the smell of dead rats, sewage, and urine on every corner.

For me smells are everything.

I think for me it's less smell, and more trees. I like trees.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just need grass, most specifically kikuyu grass. Some trees. Some damn privacy would be nice too.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
when im depressed and beed alone time, but spending time inside isnt helping I "cravel" that nature need. otherwise, i believe I have a almost childlike curiosity for nature.