• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Article on Introverts for Extroverts

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Extroverts therefore dominate public life. This is a pity. If we introverts ran the world, it would no doubt be a calmer, saner, more peaceful sort of place."

The point where I stopped reading, yeah thanks I'm insane right? Having a clear head has nothing to do with being E/I

So much for a how to guide for caring for an introvert

Seems like they have a different agenda

Fail.

Agreed. Booo-Hiss!!! :thumbdown:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It says only 25% of people are Is; that's quite a bit low, isn't it?

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
With their endless appetite for talk and attention, extroverts also dominate social life, so they tend to set expectations. In our extrovertist society, being outgoing is considered normal and therefore desirable, a mark of happiness, confidence, leadership. Extroverts are seen as bighearted, vibrant, warm, empathic. "People person" is a compliment. Introverts are described with words like "guarded," "loner," "reserved," "taciturn," "self-contained," "private"—narrow, ungenerous words, words that suggest emotional parsimony and smallness of personality.

sounds like hes on a road called self justification that leads to self validation...gonna be a looong ride

G

garbage

Joking aside, I can understand how introverts can feel misunderstood and out of place. I'm sure that many introverts here have had their share of extroverts wanting to fix their shyness, or at least question it. Books such as The Introvert Advantage can help one come to terms with understanding oneself and understanding the introverts around them. But articles like that aren't exactly helping matters, and they don't exactly help quell the stereotype of the arrogant introvert.

And then you have crap like this.

The fact of the matter is that people of all different personalities often misunderstand each other because everyone sees their own point of view as the default, and that's perfectly natural.

and i just now realized that this thread is nearly two years old now :doh:

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I remember reading this back shortly after it was originally posted here. I read it again just now, and I find myself disagreeing with the overall attitude of the article. It is not one that is attempting to reach out and understand both sides.

I think the author met some unhealthy extroverts or something. Because the extroverted people I know are not nearly as he describes them. Yes, they like to talk and go do things and have lots of energy in general, but they don't seem to mind a quiet evening now and then. Just like I don't mind going out and doing something with all our friends on occasion.

It's all about balance.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Its still my opinion that the mbti intro and extro value system has nothig to do with social extro- or introversion. But I will never be able to talk sense into this forum :)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I took that article to contain a bit of hyperbole for humorous effect.

Unique

Joking aside, I can understand how introverts can feel misunderstood and out of place. I'm sure that many introverts here have had their share of extroverts wanting to fix their shyness, or at least question it. Books such as The Introvert Advantage can help one come to terms with understanding oneself and understanding the introverts around them. But articles like that aren't exactly helping matters, and they don't exactly help quell the stereotype of the arrogant introvert.

And then you have crap like this.

The fact of the matter is that people of all different personalities often misunderstand each other because everyone sees their own point of view as the default, and that's perfectly natural.

and i just now realized that this thread is nearly two years old now :doh:

Like it or not shyness can cause problems and sometimes does need to be fixed... I know plenty of introverts that don't have issues with shyness

Shyness implies a lack of an ability to talk or speak up when its needed... most healthy introverts are fine with this and it really has nothing to do with E/I

A lot of introverts I know talk more than I do... its not a very clear measure of who is introverted and who is isn't... its more how they go about things... hard to explain so I'll leave it at that

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
why do cat girls always evade my questions, I really need to skill my mage in the shadow line :D

G

garbage

Like it or not shyness can cause problems and sometimes does need to be fixed... I know plenty of introverts that don't have issues with shyness

Shyness implies a lack of an ability to talk or speak up when its needed... most healthy introverts are fine with this and it really has nothing to do with E/I

A lot of introverts I know talk more than I do... its not a very clear measure of who is introverted and who is isn't... its more how they go about things... hard to explain so I'll leave it at that

Sorry, meant that to be in quotes.. e.g. "shyness," with orientation being mistaken for a character flaw.

I agree that they need to speak up more sometimes, just as we need to shut up more sometimes.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I took that article to contain a bit of hyperbole for humorous effect.

Yeah, I found the article a while back, and took it to be pretty tongue-and-cheek, but the extraverts I showed it to apparently did not think so.

*shrug*

ETA: Also, the guy in the article is just plain wrong when it comes to the makeup of the United States in the past. The United States has always been full of risk-taking extroverts. That's why people came here in the first place! To find something better, newer, profitable, and adventurous! That is, everyone who came here who wasn't seeking to escape prosecution, which is a fair number. :jew:

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
What extraverts need to understand: Leave us alone before we really go crazy and kill you! When we're saying give us peace, it's serious!

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Good thread, glad it's here. The Merry Recluse is something I can identify with. The first posted article, though, phew. It's pretty biased against extraverts. Not exactly the best thing to show to your extraverted friends.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Its still my opinion that the mbti intro and extro value system has nothig to do with social extro- or introversion. But I will never be able to talk sense into this forum :)

agreed. Male ISFPs, ISTPs i find to be quite 'active' and thus have what appears to be a bustling social life
for females: ISFJs and INFJs seem to also fit that description.

With their endless appetite for talk and attention, extroverts also dominate social life, so they tend to set expectations. In our extrovertist society, being outgoing is considered normal and therefore desirable, a mark of happiness, confidence, leadership. Extroverts are seen as bighearted, vibrant, warm, empathic. "People person" is a compliment. Introverts are described with words like "guarded," "loner," "reserved," "taciturn," "self-contained," "private"—narrow, ungenerous words, words that suggest emotional parsimony and smallness of personality.

see this is the problem. ill be talking to someone who doesnt know MBTI, and yet in my mind have them pegged as ISTP...and for example:

ISTP: bla bla bla its all for show that he studies out where everyone can see him bla bla
me: maybe he just cant actaully sit and study alone in quiet areas like some more introverted people
ISTP: what!? no im an extrovert

he CLEARLY is an ISTP, yet because of the 'negative' terms of what introversion means to the average person, he immideitadly showed resistance to the term.

Sachetan

MBTI Type
ENTP
I guess it gets more black and white when you're very extrovert/introvert and trying to blend in or make friends with someone very different from you.

But there must be many who are "in the middle" like me:
52% E; 48% I

So I get along with both kinds. Extrovert friends are fun and a release for me when I tend to get too much of an over-working hermit. Introverts are great company and conversation when I'm reflecting my life. Both are great and well needed on the same planet :hug: