User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ

The assumption from MBTI is that our functions are balance and compliment each other, but not everyone is balanced. These are people who may excell in one area, at the expense of others. TiTe (TeTi) could be great philosphers, scientists or scholars. NiNe (NeNi) could be visionaries or shamans. SiSe (SeSi) could be great athletes or artists. FiFe (FeFi) could be great diplomats and mediators. On the other hand, not having a balancing function makes life more difficult so they also stand a good chance of being people with "great potential" that never seem to make anything of their life.

If your dominant and auxilary are both i or both e, than you may simply be very introverted or very extroverted, but otherwise balanced.

It could also be that people who are "unbalanced" in their two strongest are more pressured to develep their 3rd and 4th function, perhaps developing them at an early age out of necessity.

Moving to my cognative processes test as an example:
    Going purely by the two highest I am NiNe. However, I scored "excellent use" in four functions: Ni, Ne, Te, Fi. So I am not relying just on N, I have a strong Te and Fi to back it up.

Unlike hard sciences, such a physics, in social sciences like psychology, an exception does not make the theory invalid. Take the theory of child development (stages, time tables for development, etc). Child geniuses violate the theory. So do children who don't develop normally due to mental retardation. But the theory is still true for most children, so it is still a valid theory.

So a handful of exceptions do not necessarily invalidate the theory, they just remind us that some of us may be "exceptional" (i.e. an exception) people. Now if 300 people posted to the thread saying they were also exceptions to the rule, that could be cause to question the theory.

Ilah

MBTI
    ENTP

I'd like some Fi help, so I could understand a little bit what I'm feeling and not swallow it just for blow up in the worse moment. Aside that, I'd like more Ni.
    But I'd choose TiNe, which is what I have. I noticed before discovering MBTI that I usually 'mimmick' feelings based on what I see on other people, and I think it's thanks to my Ne.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I meant, if you have in 1st and 2nd function for example NeNi or TeNe, the whole theory collapses into itself.

It is as if someone would say that the planck wavelength is not the shortest length. It would collapse a whole system of theories.

To make an exception to a rule is surely great, but as it goes with my understanding it is necessary to have an input and output function at all for the MBTI personality, which are accessible through low energy consumption, what puts them in 1st and 2nd position. It is like a brain and a heart that is needed for a human being to be alive. A genius for example could according to the logic not live with a TeTi construct, cause he has no eyes and ears to actually recognize the world around him.

What you are talking about, according to "social science". 1st of all, it is no science at all. And secondly, you were talking about probability. And that always includes randomn mistakes in measurement. Like exceptions or mistakes of measurement.

But I am talking about a working idea of a system. That is not measured, it is postulated. You cant measure a car for example, you just can take it apart and watch how it works. But you will see, if you strip it off its tires, it will stop working.

Maybe we have different approaches in our thinking on that and my thinking is to conceptual. I like the idea of a system making sense in itself, at this point I start to think about the validity of the system. A NeNi or TeNe combination would ruin my understanding of the MBTI.

Maybe we can arrange in saying that the MBTI is highly theorethical at all. And that validity of any sort is not to be given to it, yet.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I meant, if you have in 1st and 2nd function for example NeNi or TeNe, the whole theory collapses into itself.

It is as if someone would say that the planck wavelength is not the shortest length. It would collapse a whole system of theories.

To make an exception to a rule is surely great, but as it goes with my understanding it is necessary to have an input and output function at all for the MBTI personality, which are accessible through low energy consumption, what puts them in 1st and 2nd position. It is like a brain and a heart that is needed for a human being to be alive. A genius for example could according to the logic not live with a TeTi construct, cause he has no eyes and ears to actually recognize the world around him.

What you are talking about, according to "social science". 1st of all, it is no science at all. And secondly, you were talking about probability. And that always includes randomn mistakes in measurement. Like exceptions or mistakes of measurement.

But I am talking about a working idea of a system. That is not measured, it is postulated. You cant measure a car for example, you just can take it apart and watch how it works. But you will see, if you strip it off its tires, it will stop working.

Maybe we have different approaches in our thinking on that and my thinking is to conceptual. I like the idea of a system making sense in itself, at this point I start to think about the validity of the system. A NeNi or TeNe combination would ruin my understanding of the MBTI.

Maybe we can arrange in saying that the MBTI is highly theorethical at all. And that validity of any sort is not to be given to it, yet.
    Hey, now! Of course, social science is a science....science is knowledge, and knowledge does not have to be about natural science. So . You're just grumpy because you have to take a test.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTJ

Just a clarification on the term social science. Maybe the terms are not common in other countries.

Sciences are divided into two classifications. The first is hard science, which includes things like chemistry, biology, physics, math. The second is soft science or social science, which includes things like socialogy, psychology, history.

Hard science has absolutes. Example: 2+2 is always 4. It does not depend on what kind of 2 you have.
    Soft science/social science does not. Example: Ususally ESTP and INFJ are not a good match for each other, but it depends on the people, sometimes you find two that really get along well.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Hey, now! Of course, social science is a science....science is knowledge, and knowledge does not have to be about natural science. So . You're just grumpy because you have to take a test.
    Hehe you are right xD.

@Ilah: yes of course, I see that, too. Otherwise I wouldnt be posting here being intrested in the MBTI after all.

The tough things about pseudo social science he summed up pretty good xD:

YouTube - Richard Feynman on "Social Sciences"
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]