• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Keirsey's soulmates: ENFJ/INTP

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The INTP guy at my work : our relationship is one of appreciation of one another
We also permit our coarse and dark sense of humor

The INTP gal - we banter like no other and i can she gets my jokes
She makes certain to tell me that despite not calling me, to come over out of her way to say hello or give me a hug.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The INTP guy at my work : our relationship is one of appreciation of one another
We also permit our coarse and dark sense of humor

The INTP gal - we banter like no other and i can she gets my jokes
She makes certain to tell me that despite not calling me, to come over out of her way to say hello or give me a hug.

Consider retyping this person.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Well than I guess I have to consider retyping myself. If a coworker tried to hug me I'd freak out every time. Hugs are for SOs only. I feel like a dirty man-whore if I hug someone else.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Well than I guess I have to consider retyping myself. If a coworker tried to hug me I'd freak out every time. Hugs are for SOs only. I feel like a dirty man-whore if I hug someone else.

What do you have against dirty man-whores? I can understand not hugging someone in a professional situation, but what about hugging friends?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
What do you have against dirty man-whores? I can understand not hugging someone in a professional situation, but what about hugging friends?

Why would I want to hug my friends? Some of my guy friends are huggy too. The bro hug. Don't like that one much either.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

MEOW!

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
I'm not sure if it's considered cool to bring up old threads - I feel like I've seen someone complain about it in other messagespaces so apologies in advance, but I just read this whole thing and wanted to comment on a couple of things...

As an INTP, I have experienced this soul-mate feeling with an ENFJ. It was completely and totally shocking to me that this was even possible.

Here's a matter I was just discussing with Sis last night. The recurring fear by the INTP that they'll be consumed somehow or lose identity. That's not what happens, because quite frankly, I hold onto my identity with an iron grip too, and resent any dilution. Do INTPs pick partners, then, based on the idea that this person hits the "mind" marks but will never "own" the INTP on any level?
No, but that fear does exist. I think immature INTPs would probably look for someone that only hits on the mind. They'll realize their mistake eventually.

That fear is STRONG with me. Any feeling that a partner is trying to control/change/manipulate will get a very negative reaction from me, with emotional distance as a result. I consider the emotional "port" to be a weakness in my character (I mean that vicerally I feel this, but I also have a logical understanding that emotional openness is necessary for a real relationship and would like to grow away from this feeling). Consequently I have been with only NT types before the malatov cocktail of the ENFJ entered my life. Now it's like the lights have gone on - I was trying to achieve "safe" before, but safe is not happy and is not growing. While NT relationships can work for me (in terms of stability and things being congenial), I find that the superficial connections which seemed so important in the beginning will begin to pale later on when the passion dies down and you being to feel rather more like roommates or friends than lovers.

IOW, I've never met an emotimnally available INTP ready for a relationship, which doesn't mean they don't exist just that I haven't seen it.

I have been emotionally available for all my relationships. Which is odd, because I score as a very strong T, but then sometimes I think I might fall into the trap of idealizing myself when taking the test (I consider only logic! F*** emotions!)

The most important thing is for the INTP to feel safe expressing their inner-most thoughts. Esp. when those thoughts can be abhorrent to the other person. As they will be, because INTPs think of the worst things.

This is so true. Also, for the INTP, it's easy to be a bit of a chameleon and match the vibes of another person for the sake of harmony, but this always involves hiding certain parts away. Finding that I could be completely honest with the ENFJ, was amazing.
Ha! Funny you say this. Anyone I've ever really dated has asked me out.

Myself I am too cowardly to use words to ask someone out (or was, when younger. Now I think if the situation arose I might be man, er, woman enough). Instead, historically 100% of the time (not a large sample size though) I just hooked up with the person. It's the Fe coming out a bit retarded. Hey we made out! See, I like you!

Also, your observation "They just took what they were handed and called it "being in love", even when the match was clearly bad or destructive," rings very true for me. Even in my relationship now, I take what I'm given and work with what I can. I never bring up things that make me unhappy, or worry me, or maybe talk about something I'd like to be improved, because they are my feelings and I don't think I can back them up, or rationalize them in any kind of argument. I have trouble making a stand when I do not think I can defend myself, and when I air out my grievances, worries, or feelings, I feel defenseless. Also, I'm afraid that me bringing anything like that up, will change the relationship for the worse, so I stay bottled in. Funny this whole thread got brought up too, because I just realized I wasn't as happy as I used to be in my relationship about a week ago . That's what I get for not taking my "emotional temperature" very often. Sometimes you just wake up and one day you wonder how the hell you got to where you are.

This. This is true. INTPs really really must learn this temperature-taking (I'm lecturing myself here) or they will be faced with abrupt and challenging wake-up calls seemingly out of nowhere but were long-simmering in the background if they think about it.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I could imagine an INTP getting along very well with an ENFJ if the INTP wants someone different from them in a refreshing kind of way. And this kind of difference is refreshing for me sometimes but then when it gets to communication I cannot communicate, and without communication there is no connection.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
maybe something like this random thinking while writing:

Fe can read what intp feels better than other types since intp doesent show it usually so clearly. Ti is inferior function for enfj, so its kinda something s/he has some unconscious urge to look up to because s/he understands its importance for balancing him/herself, but cant do it by him/herself very well. Fe forks the same way for intp. I could imagine that enfj finds it easy to trust intps Ti since its enfjs inferior function, atleast after noticing that intp uses that function better than s/he does. And same for intp and enfjs Fe.

Ne + Ni understand each other pretty well. Ne gives intp ability to extrovert in way that enfj cant so well, but Ni in enfj understands that kind of intuitive thinking. Ne also gives intp weird but funny type of humor that Ni gets pretty well. For intp Ni in enfj might feel like someone finally understanding his/hers extroversion. Also enfj is able to bounce back these thoughts back with a twist that intp might enjoy/find hilarious.

Tertriary Se+Si i dunno really but i could imagine it works fine.

Unique

ENFJs almost never listen to me, not enough to my liking anyway

I don't see why I should have to list reasons FOR keirseys theory rather than against it if I indeed AM against it

I've had a few ENFJs like me for a while in the past but ultimately they end up... somewhat ironically upsetting me (I say this because the F is meant to be the soft one? not really the case though)

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
ENFJs almost never listen to me, not enough to my liking anyway

I don't see why I should have to list reasons FOR keirseys theory rather than against it if I indeed AM against it

I've had a few ENFJs like me for a while in the past but ultimately they end up... somewhat ironically upsetting me (I say this because the F is meant to be the soft one? not really the case though)

Hmmm... ENFJs are supposed to be fantastic listeners. Are these mature people? Friends or barely acquaintances?

As for upsetting you, this might be further evidence that you met with less mature ENFJ individuals, the ones I know (all older) feel very very bad about hurting others and don't do it intentionally.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Dated an INTP for 1.5 years, the relationship was a near miss. We got along great for the most part. We are still friends.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Dated an INTP for 1.5 years, the relationship was a near miss. We got along great for the most part. We are still friends.

If you don't mind my asking, what was the final split over? Would you consider dating another INTP & do you think the same issues would cause problems (understanding people are individuals, etc)?

Unique

Hmmm... ENFJs are supposed to be fantastic listeners. Are these mature people? Friends or barely acquaintances?

As for upsetting you, this might be further evidence that you met with less mature ENFJ individuals, the ones I know (all older) feel very very bad about hurting others and don't do it intentionally.

Friends/romances, very smart etc uni educated, mature enough

Fantastic listeners? I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule but ExxJ and fantastic listening? oh please maybe once some of them are much older and very mature but I wouldn't class it as something that just comes naturally to them

Feeling bad about hurting others? Maybe for a while, but they are usually popular enough to blow it off

Yes of course, any thing against the theory and they must of just been immature >.<

I mean hey if you love ENFJs be my guest...

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Friends/romances, very smart etc uni educated, mature enough

Fantastic listeners? I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule but ExxJ and fantastic listening? oh please maybe once some of them are much older and very mature but I wouldn't class it as something that just comes naturally to them

Feeling bad about hurting others? Maybe for a while, but they are usually popular enough to blow it off

Yes of course, any thing against the theory and they must of just been immature >.<

Well, as has been pointed out maturity level, character makeup, etc. can trump type any time. So *in my experience* these negative traits are not typical in mature people I know. And fantastic might have been too strong an adjective, you're right.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i think i'm pretty INTP... a part of me is, anyway :D

i get along very well with my ENFJ friend. i don't know if the combination would work in regards to a romantic relationship, though. for friendship it's great... easy going, complimentary, but understanding.

deleted
For the record, I know plenty of non-keirsey-ideal-matches with successful marriages. And I don't think I've ever liked one type of the other. Socionics is a different story actually, the more I get into it.