• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Keirsey's soulmates: ENFJ/INTP

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think ENFJs use it to give and gain control
Whereas ESFJs use it for movement

The details escape me

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Nope. That's not right.

SFJs can do this, but NFJs don't care directly about social norms. However if you violate their system of morals they can have a similar outburst. An ESFJ and ENFJ could have an outburst about the same thing, say you were being rude to her friend, but they both would have different reasoning for why they were mad.

and yup...the above sounds close to what is....

I generally could care less about what people think. I may try to keep all around me happy and such but social norms...ha! whatever!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i roast marshmellows with it...

we use it to keep others warm and understood...

Smores?

Ok I'm having hysterics right now..I typed up this entire post explaining my experiences with ESFJ/ISFJ/ENFJ and ENFP/INFP and ESFPs. I LOST THE WHOLE FLIPPING POST! I'm having hysterics....I'm flipping out!!!!!!!!! I'm going to walk away from this keyboard and try to recreate it when I return. Thanks for responding MacGuffin.

LOL

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my date for his prom ate the centerpiece on the table and hung upside down from a tree in a kilt... it didn't bother me... he's a fruit loop, and people were going to stare...

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my date for his prom ate the centerpiece on the table and hung upside down from a tree in a kilt... it didn't bother me... he's a fruit loop, and people were going to stare...

...at your boobs?

What do you use Fe for? What if people don't respect it?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
...at your boobs?

What do you use Fe for? What if people don't respect it?

if they don't respect my feelings, like 99% of the human race is taught to do for the sake of social flow, i assume that they don't respect much of anyones' feelings... no matter who you are, you have feelings, fe or no, and should be treated civilly out of deference for the common human denominator...

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if they don't respect my feelings, like 99% of the human race is taught to do for the sake of social flow, i assume that they don't respect much of anyones' feelings... no matter who you are, you have feelings, fe or no, and should be treated civilly out of deference for the common human denominator...

And how do you react?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
It's this level of passion I find intriguing in Fe dom's. If they are good people also, it is also a source of great admiration and respect for me too-- This "wearing their heart on their sleves."

But I have to be honest when I say that I have never felt that level of passion for anything myself, and that is part of the draw(and the fear).

I feel I am at my best when calm and collected. I don't really function well when worked-up. So I tend to drive myself towards a "peace-of-mind."

The problem with this striving is that peace-of-mind, and apathetic are very close together states.

Perhaps my soul yearns for a way to avoid apathy, while still being calm. To be frank, sometimes I could use a good kick in the rear. But only if it is done with love AND respect will it be appreciated.

The other major issue is, I have no clue what it is that I (can) give an ExFJ. I don't like to be a free-loader.

I had to re-read this thread, but for me this is probably the number one reason why a relationship with an INTP wouldn't work out. I don't even see this so much with ISTPs.

I'm basing this on the four INTPs I know IRL and from what I see on the forum. Some of the best words that describe me is synergistic and exergonic. I release lots of energy, I've tried to change that I try to blunt it but it's just what happens. The INTPs I know seem so retiring to me, like they should be in some quiet library pondering the secrets of the universe that I have no doubt they will eventually figure out or sitting on a rock next to a tranquil pond. My INTP friend is the one who introduced me to MBTI and she said I scared the hell out of her when we first met. We were roommates in college and I was the first one in our apartment. While I was away at work, she moved in and went out to run errands. Then I came in and saw someone was finally there and was sitting on her bed when she came in and she alleges I assaulted her although I don't really remember that.

My energy and apparent lack of INTP energy makes me feel like I have to squelch essential parts of myself to keep from discomforting them which eventually ends of discomforting me and I'll begin to act out. Also having a strong emotional connection with another person is important to me and I like cogitating about relationships in all their various forms and talking about them and thinking of ways it can be better and it seems like this just tires INTPs out. It seems like INTPs have problems sustaining that energy and it would be best to be with someone who doesn't require so much, so I guess basically someone who is lower maintenance. Even having to explain why it's important or why such maintenance needs to happen turns me off because (and here I am thinking with my Fe brain) it seems obvious why it needs to be cultivated and maintained.

I feel like it's easier for me to swing to the INTP side of things for an INTP to swing to mine. I just feel like a lot of resentment would begin to simmer in the relationship and it would just end badly if I constantly have to guide someone through the relationship jungle.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And how do you react?

i find it offensive that anyone should be dismissed out of hand or marginalized b/c that seems to indicate either a) stupidity not to be tolerated in the dismisser, or b) delusional superiority not to be tolerated in the dismisser... which is why i was involved in so many class wars growing up...

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had to re-read this thread, but for me this is probably the number one reason why a relationship with an INTP wouldn't work out. I don't even see this so much with ISTPs.

I'm basing this on the four INTPs I know IRL and from what I see on the forum. Some of the best words that describe me is synergistic and exergonic. I release lots of energy, I've tried to change that I try to blunt it but it's just what happens. The INTPs I know seem so retiring to me, like they should be in some quiet library pondering the secrets of the universe that I have no doubt they will eventually figure out or sitting on a rock next to a tranquil pond. My INTP friend is the one who introduced me to MBTI and she said I scared the hell out of her when we first met. We were roommates in college and I was the first one in our apartment. While I was away at work, she moved in and went out to run errands. Then I came in and saw someone was finally there and was sitting on her bed when she came in and she alleges I assaulted her although I don't really remember that.

My energy and apparent lack of INTP energy makes me feel like I have to squelch essential parts of myself to keep from discomforting them which eventually ends of discomforting me and I'll begin to act out. Also having a strong emotional connection with another person is important to me and I like cogitating about relationships in all their various forms and talking about them and thinking of ways it can be better and it seems like this just tires INTPs out. It seems like INTPs have problems sustaining that energy and it would be best to be with someone who doesn't require so much, so I guess basically someone who is lower maintenance. Even having to explain why it's important or why such maintenance needs to happen turns me off because (and here I am thinking with my Fe brain) it seems obvious why it needs to be cultivated and maintained.

I feel like it's easier for me to swing to the INTP side of things for an INTP to swing to mine. I just feel like a lot of resentment would begin to simmer in the relationship and it would just end badly if I constantly have to guide someone through the relationship jungle.

INTPs can exert energy and have strong emotional connections, but with just a few people. Otherwise you'll overwhelm us, so that is accurate.

In conclusion: we better be sleeping together for you to get all of us.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i find it offensive that anyone should be dismissed out of hand or marginalized b/c that seems to indicate either a) stupidity not to be tolerated in the dismisser, or b) delusional superiority not to be tolerated in the dismisser... which is why i was involved in so many class wars growing up...

Do you yell? Explode? Get physical?

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Littlelostnf .. Retype it, i want to hear what you have to say on this.
Personally takes a lot to have a breakdown, when i do though everyone feels it. Thank god it isn't often. :)

Interesting. ideal type - ESTJ, real type - ESTJ
Go figure!

Siggggghhhhhh.....Ok but my place is a mess (I mean a SERIOUS mess) and I have a friend coming to visit for the day and evening and I REALLY should be cleaning but I have got to explain this. It's not going to be the same because I was on a roll..but I've thought of some examples.

My ISFJ mother is very concerned about appearances. My ESFJ friend is also. I mean I'm sometimes amazed at how concerned they are. I tease them all the time and totally push the envelope with them when they are like..."behave" (mom..and I mean even now I'm grown and out of the house for years) or "Ohhhhh my goodness everyone is looking at us LLNF"...blah blah....my friend. Anyway they both get offended more easily than I do but they def don't have outburst about it. They hold on to real or perceived slights or offenses...but they will only discuss it with close friends or family. When they've had outbursts they will have them in private and only around people they trust. I think that's about keeping up appearances...on the other hand my ESFP niece, ENFP friend and INFP friend TOTALLY have outbursts in public and seem not to think a thing about it. I must say that it's my ESFP niece who is the worst with it but she's also the youngest of my examples. When my ENFP friend (this particular one I have lots) was younger she would have outburst and it didn't matter who was around. The INFP was prob the most private about it but she will say things quickly in outburst fashion that I would def keep to myself to think about more

Things my P friends would say aloud I would keep to myself to keep thinking about it until I could say it one on one to the person I needed to say it to NOT to anyone else...def not causing a scene. When I have a problem with someone I want to keep it between that person without the world being in on it. To me it's about trying to maintain harmony and some peace. Having outbursts makes everyone have to be involved no matter if they want to or not. I just thought about the fact that yes part of this is about appearances. I don't want everyone to know my business. When I've had arguments or been upset with someone in my life and it's happened in a public place I keep the peace until I get somewhere private...however I will not stay around and be "fake" about my feelings and then flip out in private. I will leave...or ask to speak to them privately...but generally I'll remove myself from the situation to think about it and then talk to the person.

Good grief I'm rattling on and on...I'm not even close to saying what I really wanted...I HATE losing posts! The other one was non personal and very much not an "I do this...and They do that" type of post like this one..

Sorry saslou

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ

I don't know about the other ENFJ's here online but as for me...I go deadly quiet and the verbal whiplash comes out. I start with a SHOUT..to prove I'm serious about what I'm saying then I drop it down a million levels and go deadly cold and as emotionless as possible....that's when you know I'm furious.

I have NEVER gotten physical...I've wanted to throw something but that physical part will come out in something that hurts me physically. I'll get a rash or something physical happens to me. Maybe I should start throwing and breaking things...maybe would have saved lots of hair I've lost and sleepless nights when I'm really pissed. (which again thank goodness doesn't happen often)

Strong feelings...ALL THE TIME! Strong negative feelings...not so much. Maybe that's my saving grace..I'm pretty much a positive strong feeling person.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Thank you ever so much for that Littlelostnf.

I am going to take a snippet of what you have said and take it to my side of the woods and ask someone about this.
I don't give a rats ass about appearance. I go out and look like crap, well its my problem. If people come round and my place is a mess, so be it.
On this issue, i don't care what people think.
More stuff to ponder over.
;)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

once again proving that the s/n designation is the biggest agent of change in the type set...

istp neuroses are different from the intp version... they may echo each other on the surface, but the culmination and execution of those neuroses are almost never alike...

i dated both a "high neurotic" istp and intp - both had their hang-ups and quirks, and both were a great deal more capable and intelligent than most of the populace, but their manner of coming unglued was nothing alike...

I'm basing this on the four INTPs I know IRL and from what I see on the forum. Some of the best words that describe me is synergistic and exergonic.

great words... you know i like 'ekpyrotic' myself...

I release lots of energy, I've tried to change that I try to blunt it but it's just what happens.

i was just discussing this with sis last night... she and i get along 99% of the time, but when we argue, it can get ridiculous really fast... she wound up asking me what it takes to keep me from going supernova and i said i had to be allowed to vent it (my preferred atmosphere for magma eruption is to be alone so i can concentrate on my own feelings and not be concerned about or contaminated/harangued by the feelings of others around me)... this is me in an extreme form, under protracted stress that doesn't let up...

but even when i'm not upset/angry, i'm high octane and i've had trouble accepting that for some reason, like it's a personal failure somehow...

The INTPs I know seem so retiring to me, like they should be in some quiet library pondering the secrets of the universe that I have no doubt they will eventually figure out or sitting on a rock next to a tranquil pond. My INTP friend is the one who introduced me to MBTI and she said I scared the hell out of her when we first met. We were roommates in college and I was the first one in our apartment. While I was away at work, she moved in and went out to run errands. Then I came in and saw someone was finally there and was sitting on her bed when she came in and she alleges I assaulted her although I don't really remember that.

funny :D

i've met intps who "get" it and have a great deal of backbone and aren't easily broken (they're all married, btw, b/c a guy like that isn't going to stay single), but i've also had a lot of trouble in general with introverted intuitive males taking one look at me and either trying to throw a saddle on me/control me, or just balking like i'm going to eat their soul and if i wanted to, the eating of their soul would be a BAD thing... Ss aren't nearly so freaked out by this for whatever reason... ISxPs have been the most accepting of my nature and have even told me they're "proud" of the way I am which was a sort of kindness that they accorded me without trying but affected me deeply... just recently, a longtime isfp male friend of mine told me that he loved me for my fire and crankiness, and i swear i felt tears coming to my eyes because it something i'm so mortified about...

granted, my entp liked to light fires under me for the pyrotechnic effect... they don't mind a little brinksmanship and scorched eyebrows... he would get very concerned when i stopped speaking or making my rounds to pat people and inquire about their health...

interesting...

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In conclusion: we better be sleeping together for you to get all of us.

explain!

i *abhor* physicality... i find anyone laying hands on me deeply violating and therefore don't do it myself... i had someone throw a drink in my face years ago and it was mortifying... upset me for days, just as much as if they'd hit me...

i've been known to yell but that's not the valley, that's just the shoulder... the valley is full of eerie stillness and cold and pared down almost robotic statements... most of the mid-range arguments are sharp tones, but perhaps not yelling... i yell with my sister, and maybe my mother... i have to be pretty mad...

I don't know about the other ENFJ's here online but as for me...I go deadly quiet and the verbal whiplash comes out. I start with a SHOUT..to prove I'm serious about what I'm saying then I drop it down a million levels and go deadly cold and as emotionless as possible....that's when you know I'm furious.

that's me maxed out...

I have NEVER gotten physical...I've wanted to throw something but that physical part will come out in something that hurts me physically. I'll get a rash or something physical happens to me. Maybe I should start throwing and breaking things...maybe would have saved lots of hair I've lost and sleepless nights when I'm really pissed. (which again thank goodness doesn't happen often)

oh i used to throw things all the time... i managed to get the phone stuck in a wall once, kicked a door off it's track, broke a window... i haven't done any such thing for a very long time now because i get this sick feeling when i've 'harmed' something, inanimate objects, seeing the result of my intense anger... i don't hit people or animals... i don't throw things anymore... it was a really bad time and i was barely hanging on...

Strong feelings...ALL THE TIME! Strong negative feelings...not so much. Maybe that's my saving grace..I'm pretty much a positive strong feeling person.

i come from a regrettably dark past and it's shaped me... in my natural state, i automatically want to believe in the goodness of humanity and in a good outcome...

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You don't get to see the dark parts unless you're really special, like a romantic partner.

i *abhor* physicality... i find anyone laying hands on me deeply violating and therefore don't do it myself... i had someone throw a drink in my face years ago and it was mortifying... upset me for days, just as much as if they'd hit me...

wait...

oh i used to throw things all the time... i managed to get the phone stuck in a wall once, kicked a door off it's track, broke a window... i haven't done any such thing for a very long time now because i get this sick feeling when i've 'harmed' something, inanimate objects, seeing the result of my intense anger... i don't hit people or animals... i don't throw things anymore... it was a really bad time and i was barely hanging on...

I call that "physical".

i've been known to yell but that's not the valley, that's just the shoulder... the valley is full of eerie stillness and cold and pared down almost robotic statements... most of the mid-range arguments are sharp tones, but perhaps not yelling... i yell with my sister, and maybe my mother... i have to be pretty mad...
Yes, my wife says she knows I'm really mad when I get very quiet and calm when I talk.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
You don't get to see the dark parts unless you're really special, like a romantic partner.

That's funny...an INTP friend I had I actually said that to him. This is something I don't need to experience unless we're sleeping together and we weren't, just good friends. I think he showed me more than he really wanted to but it was just easy like that. Prob one of the reasons we're not still really friends. I don't think his wife or he could handle it.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's funny...an INTP friend I had I actually said that to him. This is something I don't need to experience unless we're sleeping together and we weren't, just good friends. I think he showed me more than he really wanted to but it was just easy like that. Prob one of the reasons we're not still really friends. I don't think his wife or he could handle it.

Yeah, now you're getting into mind/soulmate territory.