User Tag List

First 212930313233 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I love you to pieces, Jock, me lad, but this statement really frustrates me. That's been my experience with INTPs and for a while it lead me to believe that they were completely incapable of being selective or self-determining. They just took what they were handed and called it "being in love", even when the match was clearly bad or destructive.

I had several throw-downs with my ex about it. I told him if I'd never asked him out, he'd still be with whoever approached him first, something that really bothered me.

Can you explain why this is? I swear I'm not being a jerk. I really want to know.

Also, your robot noggin is very smooth and shiny. Carnuba wax?
    For me, my explanation is that it simply isn't true. I prefer to take things that come to me, but I'm very picky, and don't take anything that comes my way. The part I bolded would not apply to me. I have actually had people express interest in me before (may be surprising) but I've politely declined them. They weren't what I wanted.

As for why I don't make advances. I think I'm extremely bad at it. And doing it makes me feel more vulnerable.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I love you to pieces, Jock, me lad, but this statement really frustrates me. That's been my experience with INTPs and for a while it lead me to believe that they were completely incapable of being selective or self-determining. They just took what they were handed and called it "being in love", even when the match was clearly bad or destructive.

I had several throw-downs with my ex about it. I told him if I'd never asked him out, he'd still be with whoever approached him first, something that really bothered me.

Can you explain why this is? I swear I'm not being a jerk. I really want to know.

This may not apply to all INTPs: I can be pretty passive and self-doubting. So when a woman expresses an interest... hot damn!

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

But why would you think that, Mac? You have more confidence than most men I've met, much less per type. What would cause an intelligent attractive person to doubt their capacities? Is that learned or endemic?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

But why would you think that, Mac? You have more confidence than most men I've met, much less per type. What would cause an intelligent attractive person to doubt their capacities? Is that learned or endemic?
    It is learned.

Only later does one realize that most other people are even more shallow and insecure than you are.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Well, and all of this is only for me, can't speak for any other INTPs; for myself I'm really never sure if the attention I'm getting has romantic intent or if they're just being really friendly. Unless you just come out and say "I'm interested! You know, in that way," I'm just going to assume you aren't. I think part of it might have to do with rejection. I don't want relationships to change very much, so if I have feelings for a friend or someone I see a lot, I'm terrified of being responsible for screwing it all up. Because I'm pretty sure that I will, and the mental "what did she mean by this sentence/action/look/joke" analysis just paralyzes any kind of decision making. I never take chances with people, because I understand them as a system so very little, and I'm afraid of being wrong and messing it all up

Also, your observation "They just took what they were handed and called it "being in love", even when the match was clearly bad or destructive," rings very true for me. Even in my relationship now, I take what I'm given and work with what I can. I never bring up things that make me unhappy, or worry me, or maybe talk about something I'd like to be improved, because they are my feelings and I don't think I can back them up, or rationalize them in any kind of argument. I have trouble making a stand when I do not think I can defend myself, and when I air out my grievances, worries, or feelings, I feel defenseless. Also, I'm afraid that me bringing anything like that up, will change the relationship for the worse, so I stay bottled in. Funny this whole thread got brought up too, because I just realized I wasn't as happy as I used to be in my relationship about a week ago . That's what I get for not taking my "emotional temperature" very often. Sometimes you just wake up and one day you wonder how the hell you got to where you are.

And as for my noggin, I did just get detailed! Part of my yearly maintenence plan

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Well, and all of this is only for me, can't speak for any other INTPs; for myself I'm really never sure if the attention I'm getting has romantic intent or if they're just being really friendly. Unless you just come out and say "I'm interested! You know, in that way," I'm just going to assume you aren't. I think part of it might have to do with rejection. I don't want relationships to change very much, so if I have feelings for a friend or someone I see a lot, I'm terrified of being responsible for screwing it all up. Because I'm pretty sure that I will, and the mental "what did she mean by this sentence/action/look/joke" analysis just paralyzes any kind of decision making. I never take chances with people, because I understand them as a system so very little, and I'm afraid of being wrong and messing it all up
    This is also essentially true for me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    It is learned.

Only later does one realize that most other people are even more shallow and insecure than you are.
    I'm probably not coming from exactly the same perspective that Mac is, but I'd agree that for me such things are, at least primarily, learned. Confidence is categorical - being confident in many things or even in general doesn't equate to confidence in all things - and in my case most things relating to people-issues are a known weak spot. Give me a problem to solve, or a task to accomplish, or a skillset to learn and I'm confident that I can do it (follow-through, on the other hand, can sometimes be hit-or-miss ).

But at those things that I'm not good at, confidence is oftentimes difficult to muster - I want to sit back and learn more to build confidence before acting - I know that I'm not good at "reading signals", and want to be as sure as I can. I know that I'm operating with insufficient data (much less than most others would expect me to have), and generally believe that unless it's clear someone *is* interested, that they'd consider themselves *obviously* not interested. And failures in the past tend to drive me to want to be *more* certain in the future.

It's not that I *won't* act... but that in the absence of fairly obvious positive signs ("hey, I like you - yeah, like *that*") the "learning more" phase can take long enough that opportunities can fade. *shrug* And usually those "fairly obvious signs" are someone else taking that first step. But it's not a "taking what I can get" sort of thing - not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post

I have trouble making a stand when I do not think I can defend myself, and when I air out my grievances, worries, or feelings, I feel defenseless. Also, I'm afraid that me bringing anything like that up, will change the relationship for the worse, so I stay bottled in.
    Yeah, that too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I think that two people using feeling in the same way (eg, Fi-Fi or Fe-Fe) is the most important. I just seem to be able to connect more deeply with other Fi-users, whereas Fe-type crowd theres always more miscommunications and shenanigans.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Jock, don't be afraid to tell your girl what you need. You two have been together for a long time and I'm sure she loves you very much, so if you make a respectful case for what you need/want, why would she not listen? I would want to know if you were unhappy.

Or is it merely the specter of what might happen, like "awful-izing" - that prevents you from speaking up?

Thank you all for your responses. Very insightful to say the least, and sympathetic.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't think this is a fair statement. You haven't met an INTP that's as emotionally available as you would like them to be, but admittedly, you have high emotional availability standards. Everyone has their own level of comfort with sharing emotions or needing to get them out. Just because an INTP doesn't need to vent all the time doesn't mean he doesn't trust you, or that he isn't capable of being your emotional rock.

You can't really say that someone's not ready for a relationship if you're just judging them by the standards you personally have for a relationship. All you can say, really, is that they're not a good candidate for a relationship with you, which is fine.
    +1.
    Admittedly, high energy "exergonic" people (and extroverts generally) are totally not my speed, and I don't imagine they would find me sufficiently emotionally available for them.
    Just because someone is incompatible with you doesn't mean there's something wrong with them such that you need to "teach" them how to navigate the emotional waters. And the most emotionally immature persons I've known were two very expressive ENFs who would just scorch you with their uncontrolled, manipulative (to me) and highly selfish emotional expressiveness. They probably see that as something desirable. I do not. Nor do I want to be taught to be that way.

I've never dated a male ENFJ, so I have no idea how INTP/ENFJ would play out in a relationship. I do have several female ENFJ friends, and as far as I can tell, I'm the one they call when they do need to vent without being judged.
    Yep. None of my friends are INTP, yet I'm the one they come crying to for advice.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying