• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which author started the J/P switch method of deciding what type you are?

Retmeishka

MBTI Type
ISTP
Sorry, it has been a long time since I read about this, and I don't even know what to call it, other than the J/P switch (because I don't like it - I use socionics).

It's when I say, 'My strongest function is Si, and my next strongest function is Te. I'm an introvert. Therefore, my type is ISTJ.'

Which author started that?

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Almost certain that it was Myers and Briggs themselves.

Folks call it a "J/P switch," but it's pretty much "introducing J/P." Jung didn't define it; they defined it as "whatever you extravert." .. for some reason. Maybe it's that extraverted behavior is more apparent? Maybe they thought that the types they refer to as J's have more in common than Ej's+Ip's?

Jung -- and Socionics -- refer to "rational" and "irrational" functions. The j/p in Socionics indicates whether you lead with a rational or irrational function; whereas the J/P in MBTI refers to that ol' extraverted function.

That four-letter code muddies up the waters. The three-letter codes, the nicknames, please for the love of God give me anything else to refer to Sociotypes.

Someone correct me on all of this.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's terrible. It's caused more confusion than is necessary. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the 4 letter socionics code not something that was implemented to make socionics more palatable to americans already familiar with MBTI? At least the 3 letter code is easier to distinguish.

Either way, it's caused more confusion and less clarity between 2 systems which are really quite different.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's terrible. It's caused more confusion than is necessary. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the 4 letter socionics code not something that was implemented to make socionics more palatable to americans already familiar with MBTI? At least the 3 letter code is easier to distinguish.
All of this is true, including how the four-letter Socionics code was implemented to make it palatable to foreigners. Kinda like when Christianity co-opted pagan holidays.

Either way, it's caused more confusion and less clarity between 2 systems which are really quite different.
Totally. For some reason, "Socionics and MBTI are different" are fightin' words to some.

Last edited: