• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] NJ and introverted sensing

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
How do NJ experience introverted sensing? Introverted sensing, the function, is placed on the 7th and 8th function which is known as the deceiving and devilish function retrospectively. What do NJ find so foreign about this function?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just found this article by PersonalityJunkie, which discusses the INJ's Si through the effects of inferior Se (which Si shadows them), which should give you the basic idea.
Otherwise, Si might surface in an ego state of fear of [ego] destructions, which is what the "devlilish" role is about, and for ENJ's, it would be an ego state of feeling double bound and reversing the expectations on the threat.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure if this is exactly what the OP had in mind, or even entirely related to Si, but here is my two cents' worth.

I associate Si with remembrance of past things/historical information. In personal terms, I see it as tied to nostalgia. When I have occasion in my life to review or revisit years gone by, say by watching movies of my early childhood, or visiting the place where I grew up, I feel something I can describe only as temporal vertigo. It can be very disorienting, even physically unsettling. This overshadows any positive recollections associated with the time, place, or event. As the person scared of heights can't look down, I almost can't look back.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do NJ experience introverted sensing? Introverted sensing, the function, is placed on the 7th and 8th function which is known as the deceiving and devilish function retrospectively. What do NJ find so foreign about this function?

I group Si in the same category as Fe where I recognize that they're valuable things, but an utter blindspot to me. It's like it doesn't exist for me. The idea that something happened in a certain kind of way in the past never really phases me, because it's behind me. Talking to NP friends who have to effectively emotionally reroute themselves before they can accept anything new is something I never understood. It's hard to feel much about things that have already happened to you, except to acknowledge them as just part of who your experience.

My focus is pretty resolutely on how something moves in space. Like, how if these things are factors and those things are factors as well, what will happen should they suddenly collide? Then it becomes a process of imagining that interaction in a vivid, present kind of way. The details of it don't matter unless they somehow inform the trajectory.

I also look like a bum most of the time unless under duress to look otherwise. When I have to put on makeup or dress up I kind of pout about it until I'm doing it and I'm like, "Oh this is kind of nice."

Anyways TL;DR -- What I find foreign about Si is that I have very limited direct experience of it, which is circular, but the best I can do lol.

á´…eparted

passages
I both get Si and don't get it at the same time.

I actually relate to it fairly well, however I know I don't actually work and think in the way that Si does. Proof positive of this is when I try to mirror the methods in which Si dom's try to, I get really stressed and do poorly. That said, I can work well along side of them. For me to actually do it though, it's just too... rigid? It's difficult to explain. It doesn't allow me to make in the moment adjustments which are essential for me getting to where I need and ultimately making good decisions. It's essentially a difference between process oriented, and goal oriented. I am much much more goal oriented. Process is important, but insofar as it doesn't hinder towards the goal. As such in some cases I'll heavily focus on process, other times I won't at all. This shifting in method tends to confuse Si user's, as they see me being very chaotic with no pattern. There will always be a pattern to me, but if I try to explain it the response is usually along the lines of "...but that doesn't make sense", so I can be at a total loss to explain it. If the Si user is able to go "you know what, I don't get it, but what you do seems to work, so have at it!" we can get along quite well. I have a ton of respect and quite like a lot of ISTJ's in particular because of it. When that doesn't happen though, working together can be very difficult. With some I'd sooner chew a bucket of sawdust.

The major reason why I relate to Si is because I can be very process oriented at times. In particular when I start something new and realize I need to know it in depth. However, the exact method in which I do that is not how Si functions. It's very case by case. Over time I'll start distilling things down to a finer and finer point/method and the process becomes automatic, nuanced, and surprisingly flexible. Very unlike Si. Another part of is I don't relate to Ne even in the slightest, so that opposing pole leads to surface relation to its inverse by virtue of the fact that Ne does not compute in my brain.

The number one thing that Si can bug me with is when it refuses to accept a working method because it's unable to understand it for itself. The lack of "big picture" can annoy the piss out of me.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I'm not sure if this is exactly what the OP had in mind, or even entirely related to Si, but here is my two cents' worth.

I associate Si with remembrance of past things/historical information. In personal terms, I see it as tied to nostalgia. When I have occasion in my life to review or revisit years gone by, say by watching movies of my early childhood, or visiting the place where I grew up, I feel something I can describe only as temporal vertigo. It can be very disorienting, even physically unsettling. This overshadows any positive recollections associated with the time, place, or event. As the person scared of heights can't look down, I almost can't look back.

That's interesting. Tied into Si being such a distant function for yourself maybe?

As you probably know Si for the more invested is a source of comfort in the familiar and stable. I associate it with a notion of 'things being in their place' according to what the individual personally experienced, though there is often some overlap between people, especially with similar experiences.

However it can also be stubborn and irritating to deal with in others when it leads to standing in the way of a new avenue because it might not be so stable. *shakes fist* but we don't know until it's experienced and everything so established now was not so before.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Si, makes me feel like it is holding me back, restrictive, like I want to slap them or kick their ass for only going/thinking in one way. (that they feel comfortable with)

edit: I would like to add that Si isn't always bad, like for instance, when I am down in the dumps and unable to get out of my own misery, then Si is perfect. But only for a short while until I am up and running. To be fair towards Si, of course. As much as I would like to say I have no need for it, I do have a need for it. In specific circumstances.