• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ & INTP & Psychological Types

MBTI; Jung

• Total voters

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
If you're sure of your MBTI type as INTJ or INTP, which of Jung's types are you? Here are the general descriptions of the types in Psychological Types: Classics in the History of Psychology -- Jung (1921/1923) Chapter 10

I hypothesize the great majority of us will be Introverted Thinking or Introverted Intuiting, so those will be the poll options. Please don't vote based on your assumed dominant function, only on Jung's description!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
That's a whole hell of a lot to read..

I may have to alter my answer once I've read the rest but I'm so printing that lot for later reference..

:nice: Thanks Jack.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I figured you'd be the first to dive into Psychological Types.

Of course I wouldn't expect anyone to read that just for a poll, no, it's something that should be read by anyone interested in the history of MBTI or psychology at all.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I figured you'd be the first to dive into Psychological Types.

Of course I wouldn't expect anyone to read that just for a poll, no, it's something that should be read by anyone interested in the history of MBTI or psychology at all.
You know I hate being predictable right?

:D I'm always interested in new looks at the types. I don't always agree but I tend to agree with the older stuff.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd vote if I could wrap my mind around Jung's descriptions. Waaay too Ti for me. :blush:

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
So far Ni seems to be most like me, from what I can understand. I think I get may 70%-80%.

I will vote officially after I have read the whole thing just in case I identify stronger with something I haven't read yet. I read the whole introvert section and the first part of the extrovert section that talks about extroverts in general.

I notice that introvert and extrovert are presented a lot differently here than they usually are. It isn't just how social you are, it is the whole way you view the world and make decisions. I indentify pretty strongly with his general descritiption for introverts. Reading the extrovert decription I get a strong sense of "not at all like me."

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Hell, Extraverted Thinking was hitting pretty close to home for me. Note that Jung says these are stereotypes, extremes.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I finally finished reading all the types. Introverted intuitive is still the one most like me.

It was very interesting to ponder what my auxilary type would be according to those descripions. Introverted thinking seemed to be my next highest. In fact, I identified most strongly with the introverted function in all the traits, contrary to MBTI which has i and e functions alternating.

I don't see anything in the auxilary fuction section that says if your dominante is introverted your secondary has to be extroverted (or visa versa). I have to admit I didn't understand 100% of what he wrote so maybe that was in there and I didn't catch it. Was that something that was added later by other people, or is that in another part of Jung's writing?

Ilah

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't see anything in the auxilary fuction section that says if your dominante is introverted your secondary has to be extroverted (or visa versa). I have to admit I didn't understand 100% of what he wrote so maybe that was in there and I didn't catch it. Was that something that was added later by other people, or is that in another part of Jung's writing?

Ilah
If I'm Not Mistaken, secondary and tertiary and all that jazz has been extrapolated from his work by others. I don't know why they did, but oh well.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
If I'm Not Mistaken, secondary and tertiary and all that jazz has been extrapolated from his work by others. I don't know why they did, but oh well.

He did have a small section on auxilary. He thinks if your dominant is a percieving function, your dominant has to be a judging and visa versa.

If Ni is dominant my secondary can be Ti, Te, Fi or Fe but not Ne, Si or Se. This would work out to 32 types, not the standard 16.

Ilah

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
He did have a small section on auxilary. He thinks if your dominant is a percieving function, your dominant has to be a judging and visa versa.

If Ni is dominant my secondary can be Ti, Te, Fi or Fe but not Ne, Si or Se. This would work out to 32 types, not the standard 16.

Ilah
Wouldn't it be hundreds? Well, not hundreds, but I don't wanna do the math. Yet another reason I'm done with it.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you define a type by only the first two functions, there would be 32. If you look at all the order of all the functions, or even just the first 4 it would be much more.

For example if you had two people who were NiTi, but one was NiTiFeSe and the other was NiTiFiSi would they be the same type or not?

This is assuming you allow the functions after the first two to be any any order or give more than one order option. It is possible to say based on NiTi this is the order of functions 3-8, the same as is currently done for the regular 16 types. For example, for NiTi, I would follow the INTJ pattern but switch the i and e for all the judging functions.

Ilah

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I relate best to Ni, but also relate to the general description of Ti, the type description of Ti I can relate less to - not Ti dominant.

Usehername

On a mission
INTJ with Jung's Introverted iNtuition fitting me best, though I can say some parts of the Introverted Thinking resonated with me. I'm definitely a Ni/Te combo, though.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'm honestly surprised that all the INTJs picked Introverted Intuitive so far. It's such an odd description. Well, that's what polls are for, isn't it!

Hmm, it seems Night put INTP and Introverted Thinking, and I believe he's INTJ, so that shall be stricken from the record.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I identified pretty stongly with this part:

9. The Introverted Intuitive Type
The peculiar nature of introverted intuition, when given the priority, also produces a peculiar type of man, viz. the mystical dreamer and seer on the one hand, or the fantastical crank and artist on the other.

Intensification of intuition naturally often results in an extraordinary aloofness of the individual from tangible reality; he may even become a complete enigma to his own immediate circle. [p. 509]

If an artist, he reveals extraordinary, remote things in his art, which in iridescent profusion embrace both the significant and the banal, the lovely and the grotesque, the whimsical and the sublime.

And also this part:

10. Recapitulation of Introverted Irrational Types

Since their main activity is directed within, nothing is outwardly visible but reserve, secretiveness, lack of sympathy, or uncertainty, and an apparently groundless perplexity. When anything does come to the surface, it usually consists in indirect manifestations of inferior and relatively unconscious functions. Manifestations of such a nature naturally excite a certain environmental prejudice against these types. Accordingly they are mostly underestimated, or at least misunderstood.

I also identify with the part about archetypes and all the mystical references. I am very strongly drawn toward mystical things.

I have mixed feelings when I people talk about how intuitive doesn't mean, psychic, mystical, etc. You can be an intuitve type and not have any of this, but on the other hand if you are a mystical type or have a sixth sense it is almost certain that you have a high N.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm honestly surprised that all the INTJs picked Introverted Intuitive so far. It's such an odd description. Well, that's what polls are for, isn't it!

I didn't like Jung's description of Ni. He didn't seem to put nearly as much thought or effort into the description as with Ti. Probably because he's an introverted thinking type.

Introverted Intuition
"For INJs, patterns aren't 'out there' in the world, waiting to be discovered. They're part of us--the way we make sense of the riot of energy and information impinging on our systems. A disease syndrome is a useful construct, but that's all it is--an aggregate of observations attached to a label, telling us what to see and how to deal with it."

^ I think this is a good explanation. edit: It's especially good because you can substitute concrete data with what it says about abstract data "impinging on our systems" and you've got an equally concise description of introverted sensing types.

I also identify with the part about archetypes and all the mystical references. I am very strongly drawn toward mystical things.

I have mixed feelings when I people talk about how intuitive doesn't mean, psychic, mystical, etc. You can be an intuitve type and not have any of this, but on the other hand if you are a mystical type or have a sixth sense it is almost certain that you have a high N.

I identify with Ni because I'm also drawn toward the mystical and inarticulable, but I'm very skeptical towards most "mystical types" as I think they're generally either insane or trying to make a buck.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
How do you define "mystical types"? I generally think of a mystical type as some one who is drawn to the mystical. This could be a fortune teller, but it could also be a New Ager or someone who paints pictures of fairies. There are many different ways it mystical type could appear.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I didn't like Jung's description of Ni. He didn't seem to put nearly as much thought or effort into the description as with Ti. Probably because he's an introverted thinking type.

I would actually say that Jung was quite the Ni user himself. He's a mystic more than a scientist in many ways.

The thing with the Ni description is that its very form already indicates what it is: the unknown, the "Other". Attempting to describe it thoroughly in a Ti or Te manner would be a contradiction to the fact that it essentially cannot be described. Or can it? --> Ni is never a final answer, I think.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
As Ni, I would have to say Ni is if not indescribable, at least very difficult to describe. Any descriptions do not do it justice. Translating from Ni to English (or whatever language you speak) is like translating something into a second language. There is Ni stuff that there just isn't words for, so I have to approximate.

I think Jung is pretty Ni. Look at some of his ideas besides personality theory: archetypes, dream analysis, personal alchemy [this is about personal transformation, not turning lead into gold, but don in very mystical terms]. You can't get more Ni than that.

Also I feel like he gaves us some words, for some of the Ni which previously had no words to describe it.