• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] What's Fi

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most of the descriptions describe Fi as the function of internal and subjective morality.

The extent of my question includes the problematic of morality. What is morality? External vs. internal?

What if Fi is not moral? For me, Fi is just a personal feeling of strong like/dislike of the object. Fi allows you to feel your emotions more strongly than other types and gives you pathway towards your own inner feelings. Why does feeling have to be moral?

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I think I agree with the OP.

I do not think Feeling is about "morality" at all. At least, my feeling is not about morality.
I use Fe. For me, it's about a firm decision. It takes in emotions, perceptions, and concepts and simple regular thought ...mushes it all together and after a while, it says "AHA! This is what I perceive and I shall act upon that."
but normally I am pretty chill and I don't really care to make a firm decisive thought about something/perspective because most things don't strike me as that important. But just like you... my Fe allows me to feel my thoughts/feelings strongly... but once I do ... I use them to act (so, I'll decide I don't want be friends with a person ...or I'll decide that I like a certain philosophy over another and build my ideals around that) ...that's how it is UNLIKE Fi.

Fi... doesn't like to act (at least not right away). It takes it time deciding what is important and how it wants to go about doing things/think about things/act upon things... it wants to refine/clarify. So Fi is like Fe ...where they "feel strongly" but after that point, they diverge.

...idk.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
One person's Fi will not resonate as moral for everyone, but will be derived from that person's inner world, and oppose the moral atmosphere, should the two differ.

I think we assume that if you have defined opinions, they are somehow indicative of your value system.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Fi is not moral, neither is Fe, not sure where you read that it was. As a Fi user you'll be more attuned to questions, concerns, and systems of morality because it deals with input and reasoning you're more cognitively concerned about, but don't equate morality with the functions.

Kas

Fabula rasa
It doesn't have to be about morality, but definitely depending on your values is a Fi thing.
Like my ENFP friend main value (at least in my opinion) is independence and freedom. So she will shut out from her world anyone who disturb it, or try to force her to do sth. When she takes job, she likes to have possibility to make her own decisions ( so she likes where her boss leaves her space), possibility of taking vacations when she likes etc.

It's something that continuously makes you wonder what you like, what you don't like and feeling strong emotions toward things.

I think that Fi is also very prone to empathy. It's not that we understand and see very well people emotions, we just tend to imagine what we would feel being in the same place and that is how we often understand them well. So what could be our blind spot is inability to help somebody without being emotionally involved.

VagrantFarce

It's more about identifying what's important, like an internal compass - developing an emergent relationship with things that's deeply personal and intrinsically emotive. Introverted Thinking is similar, except very dispassionate.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like how socionics calls it ethical rather than moral, and it captures it much better because it considers ethical dimensions of what feels right or wrong, what's rude or appropriate etc. It's more morality in the sense of setting up explicit rules or laws to be, but it's ethical in the sense that it considers the emotional dimension of how to interact with other human beings.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The best way to cover Fi is as a "good/bad" judgment based on an individual standard (including that learned from nature). This opposed to and environmental standard (including culture; or a "true/false" judgment that is basically "impersonal" [T]).

Using these one word terms such as "morals", "values", "ethics", "importance", etc. to represent a function-attitude can be very misleading, because you can attain similes of them with other functions. (Especially the opposite attitude, which really differs only in the standard used for the judgment).
So Fi may deal with morality, ethics, etc. (but then Fe can as well, and even the T functions can set up those things, based on more impersonal methods). And these things will also differ according to the position of the function in the ego stack. In a mature, preferred position, it may inform morality and values more than in the tertiary or inferior positions, where it's really reflecting Te perspectives.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fi isn't really a morality based judgment though it can have a huge impact on morality. Fi is about internal harmonization of values so by definition morality to the Fi user is to some degree subjective even if they align society's values within themselves. The difference with Fe is aligning one's self to outside values or indeed , being a force for changing social harmonization. This is why Fi is directly related to Te. Externally Te seeks to modify its surroundings into efficient systems while simultaneously preserving internal harmony with the self.