• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what do you guys think of the theory of shadow functions coming foward during stress?

chado

MBTI Type
infp
what do you guys think of the theory of shadow functions emerging during stress quote''Later personality researchers (notably Linda V. Berens)[19] added four additional functions to the descending hierarchy, the so-called "shadow" functions to which the individual is not naturally inclined but which can emerge when the person is under stress''for the
intp =shadow='te'ni'se'fi'
intj=shadow='ne'ti'fe'si'
entj=shadow='ti'ne'si'fe'
entp=shadow='ni'te'fi'se'
enfp=shadow='ni'fe'ti'se'
infp=shadow=fe'ni'se'ti'
infj=shadow=ne'fi'te'si'
enfj=shadow=fi'ne'si'te'
estj=shadow=ti'se'ni'fe'
do you guys often experience your shadow functions under stress and could you give me some personal examples thanks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRnhyTCNhv0
or you guys can tell me how you relate to this video?

Last edited:

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Te- Empirical thinking is at the core of extroverted Thinking when we challenge someone's ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else's thought process.

I don't like religion all that much and I justified arguments based on facts.

Ni- I judge people in according to how a situation plays out. I like using Ni because it gives me new perspective.

Se- I use in a mocking manner.

Fi- Comes out when I cry. I feel horrible.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what do you guys think of the theory of shadow functions emerging during stress quote''Later personality researchers (notably Linda V. Berens)[19] added four additional functions to the descending hierarchy, the so-called "shadow" functions to which the individual is not naturally inclined but which can emerge when the person is under stress''for the
infp=shadow=fe'ni'se'ti'
infj=shadow=ne'fi'te'si'
enfj=shadow=fi'ne'si'te'
estj=shadow=ti'se'ni'fe'
do you guys often experience your shadow functions under stress and could you give me some personal examples thanks?
[MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION], [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION], [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION],

Apparently you ladies won that Relationship Pairings Thread contest, and among the prizes mentioned, was the book

'Was That Really Me?: How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality'.

If any of you have actually chosen (and then, I hope, gone ahead and *finished reading*) that book, perhaps
you'd like to share your newfound knowledge with us on this thread? ;)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION], [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION], [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION],

Apparently you ladies won that Relationship Pairings Thread contest, and among the prizes mentioned, was the book

If any of you have actually chosen (and then, I hope, gone ahead and *finished reading*) that book, perhaps

I havent read the book, but i do know that this book talks about real MBTI, not this socionics type 8 function bullcrap. Here someone posted the INFJ chapter if you care to see what the shadow of a type really is and how it relates to stress(hint. it has nothing to do with these so called shadow functions); [INFJ] “Was That Really Me?” – How Stress Brings Out the INFJ's Hidden Personality

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4

The book is fantastic; it doesn't talk about shadow functions, though.

Rather it discusses, how that when a person is under stress (especially prolonged stress) their tertiary and inferior functions may cause them to act out of character.

For example, an Ni dominant may become obsessed about some physical detail while an IS-J may be unable to perform in their usual orderly manner, etc. It discusses how stress can cause our inferior functions can make us appear like a poor example of our functions in reverse order. So, an INFJ starts to act like a poor example of an ESTP, etc.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Rather it discusses, how that when a person is under stress (especially prolonged stress) their tertiary and inferior functions may cause them to act out of character.

Ahhh, so I misread, and/or confused "tertiary" and "inferior" as being the same as "shadow."

No! *Bad* INTJ! /lashes self with wet noodle>

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhh, so I misread, and/or confused "tertiary" and "inferior" as being the same as "shadow."

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4

- - - Updated - - -

Now, now, no sense lashing yourself with wet noodles. (Se, behave yourself) We wouldn't want to waste food. Rather, let's just cook the noodles and make spaghetti!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
infp=shadow=fe'ni'se'ti'
infj=shadow=ne'fi'te'si'
enfj=shadow=fi'ne'si'te'
estj=shadow=ti'se'ni'fe'

I have no shadow functions, hell yeah :)

So my shadow is similar to ENTJ...interesting.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
infp=shadow=fe'ni'se'ti'
infj=shadow=ne'fi'te'si'
enfj=shadow=fi'ne'si'te'
estj=shadow=ti'se'ni'fe'

I haven't spent a lot of time studying shadow functions. I feel that I've only just now begun to develop a decent understanding of the functions in their first four positions. So, anything I say regarding them mau be way off-base. Still, I'll tell you what I think.

I feel that there are times when I can see Fi coming into play and Si, too. When I'm sad or lonely, these functions seem to come and "feed it." It's not often, but it does happen. Si causes me to get nostalgic and homesick for days gone by. In times of great stress, I seem to look for something stedfast and familiar to cling to. Fi, I presume, causes me to freeze up and feel sorry for myself once in a while. Ne--sometimes, I get rattled when I'm stressed and ideas are just bouncing around and racing. Te...I "can" get militant when I'm really under pressure.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, it's tied together with Beebe and the eight-function model:
http://typeinsights.com/FreeArticles/Evolvingthe8functionmodel.pdf
NC Research Triangle Chapter <-- Note comparison of Beebe to Quenk here + the Berens reference
https://presentobsessions.wordpress.com/2013/12/03/the-john-beebe-8-function-model/ (includes explanation chart)

Shadow = Opposing function + Senex/Witch (critical parent) + Trickster + Demonic

Beebe casts the main personality as Hero + Parent + Child + Anima/Animus. Note how the "shadow self" is basically just casting the main personality into its opposing force. (The Hero has an opposition force; the Parent [mature wisdom] becomes a manipulating/punishing/defending source of wisdom; the innocent/good child becomes the trickster child, etc.] But they can still be used to create positive movement in the end.

This "shadow" self isn't exactly the same concept as your fourth/inferior function that is also referred to sometimes as the "shadow" of your primary.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like it and i think it happens.

KitchenFly

what do you guys think of the theory of shadow functions coming foward during...

I like it and i think it happens.

I would like to agree it seems coherent but I'm to intoxicated to work all patterns with conches coherence. Perhaps tomorrow. Lol

Destiny

A wannabe dog
I think I agree with your theory.

I am INFP and my stress reaction is: I became overemotional and I started expressing my emotions too much, I became impulsive and started making lots of rash decisions, I also became withdrawn from the entire world. Interesting, I think you are right that our shadow functions tend to come forward during stress, I think I saw some Fe-Ni-Se-Ti in my stress reaction

chado

MBTI Type
infp
i no under stress i sometimes use ni,as when im under stress i always get theres insights popping out

KitchenFly

what do you guys think of the theory of shadow functions coming foward during...

Today I court my mechanics at work while playing golf and I could see the Fe was concentrating on the ball and the Ni was working out what to do or was left with what to do and how to do the swing of the golf club. Se was my disappointment with miss hitting the ball and Ti was the, "Fuck - Fuck -Fuck" I spoke out loud in disappointment and placating frustration with my own pore effort.

I am an INFP and I am wondering have I read correctly the function as example I have decried correctly with in the Shadow model of Fe-Ni-Se-Ti for the INFP.

It has me thinking that I need to feel the Fi of self and sense the Te of movement while striking the golf ball. Am I correct?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i no under stress i sometimes use ni,as when im under stress i always get theres insights popping out

What makes you think that insight = Ni?