User Tag List

123 Last

Default Correlation between a person's writing & cognitive functions?

Do you think there's a correlation between a person's writing & cognitive functions? Feel free to post an example of your writing. I personally like to write poems for myself. I'm not promising that they're any good, but I'll post one of mine. I think it would be neat if you guys posted something too, & we could sort of analyze other people's writing. I just thought this could be fun to explore. Ok, here's mine (it's a bit dark, but my writing tends to be):

Blood dripping like a fosset
    As time stands still
    You can try to numb it with outside noise
    But the pain is staring at you in plain sight
    Their voices carry like an echo
    But my conscious is the loudest
    Life comes at you like a dagger
    Even when you were never looking for a fight
    I withdrawal in myself
    Staring at the sky
    I seek comfort from my torture
    It's my wish upon a star at night
    The walls are closing in
    But I don't mind at all
    The tight space feels cosy
    Hiding away is my escape & my light
    So leave me here forever
    Don't bother searching for me
    I'll tell you if you do
    You won't like what you see

you should write lyrics
    Likes Destiny, DreamBeliever liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I do think there is a correlation between a person's writing and cognitive functions. People will choose different words, different styles to express themselves depending on their personality (not always consciously). It is hard to quantify this though.

However in this context, I think writing a poem is a rather thoughtless attempt to portray yourself as an INFx (and/or E4).
    Likes windoverlake liked this post

Poetry is not exclusive to 4s and INFs

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Art is an expression of the unconscious. Naturally type has much to do with that, but there are other factors as well. Two people of different types could for example write exactly the same short poem. I would say that trying to type from a poem is like backtracking cause form effect without seeing what the effect was. Its quite unreliable, but if you have enough data to work on, you can draw conclusions of the most probable type. I know this isnt exactly the same thing you are talking about, but its something that would need to be done with 100% certainty in order to prove your point.

If you look at this ENFJs poetry; Glaring Through Cool Gardens.. , you can notice much stuff that points towards Fe and Ni.

btw if you are interested there was one stufy that looked at MBTI type and hand writing and there was some correlations like tilt, size etc of the letters and MBTI dimensions. Not 100% correlations, but enough to be at least somewhat significant. I dont remember the name of the study or what the correlations were, but i found it from google years ago, maybe you can google it too if interested.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read
    Likes DreamBeliever liked this post

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    Poetry is not exclusive to 4s and INFs
    True. I know a very good poet/photographer who is an ESTP. Poets, like song lyricists, come in every type.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    True. I know a very good poet/photographer who is an ESTP. Poets, like song lyricists, come in every type.
    many ESTPs make great artists
    Likes Ene liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I do think there is a correlation between a person's writing and cognitive functions. People will choose different words, different styles to express themselves depending on their personality (not always consciously). It is hard to quantify this though.

However in this context, I think writing a poem is a rather thoughtless attempt to portray yourself as an INFx (and/or E4).
    I'm not trying to be any INFx type or an E4. I just like writing. I've had notebooks filled with poems, lyrics, short stories, TV/movie ideas, etc. Is this your way of telling me you don't like my poem? (which I never said you had to) Now I'm curious, do you do any writing yourself? (because I was hoping for others to post their writing too)

Quote Originally Posted by DreamBeliever View Post
    I'm not trying to be any INFx type or an E4. I just like writing. I've had notebooks filled with poems, lyrics, short stories, TV/movie ideas, etc. Is this your way of telling me you don't like my poem? (which I never said you had to) Now I'm curious, do you do any writing yourself? (because I was hoping for others to post their writing too)
    You're not allowed to be true to yourself without being accused of some type of bullshit, didn't you know? But seriously, I do a lot of writing and I'm not INF 4 or any F type for that matter. No, I'm not posting my writing/poetry.
    Likes DreamBeliever liked this post

sightless musings in the aether