• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

So which function descriptions do you go with?

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have noticed that the various books, websites, people posting on the site have different descriptions about what each function is like. Some vary a little, some vary a lot. Some emphasize different things.

I would like to include any description of the functions, MBTI, socionics and variations on these theories of personality.

Some of these are compatable for me. By this I mean I would rate myself as consistently high (or low) in function by according to all the descriptions.

Some of these are not compatable for me. By this I mean I would rate myself as high in a function according to some of the descriptions, but low in the same function according to other descriptions.

I'm not really sure which way to go with the contradictions.

I also am not sure how to interpret a desciption that kind of fits me. For example if it lists 5 things that describe Si and 3 fit me and 2 don't. Does that mean I am average? Are some parts of it more important than others?

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP
I try to grasp the pattern behind the description. It´s not important if I can identify with each sentence, the overall pattern is what matters to me. There are some descriptions which are superficial and I can´t dive into them. Then there are others to which I´m drawn to. Lenore Thomson´s description of the introverted feeling and the INFP has some things which are really spot on.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have noticed that the various books, websites, people posting on the site have different descriptions about what each function is like. Some vary a little, some vary a lot. Some emphasize different things.

I would like to include any description of the functions, MBTI, socionics and variations on these theories of personality.

Some of these are compatable for me. By this I mean I would rate myself as consistently high (or low) in function by according to all the descriptions.

Some of these are not compatable for me. By this I mean I would rate myself as high in a function according to some of the descriptions, but low in the same function according to other descriptions.

I'm not really sure which way to go with the contradictions.

I also am not sure how to interpret a desciption that kind of fits me. For example if it lists 5 things that describe Si and 3 fit me and 2 don't. Does that mean I am average? Are some parts of it more important than others?

I understand completely, and I think it makes a difference which descriptions you use. You might be one type according to one description, and another according to another.

I personally think these are the best ones.

Most people seem to use these, however. I used to as well.

I don't agree with the above poster that you can just grasp the same overall pattern from all the descriptions, because some of them point to different patterns. People seem to rely too much on their experiences and assumptions about it.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
A related thought. Do you go for descriptions that reinforce what you think of yourself or are you open to other interpretations.

For example, if you found a description of your dominant or secondary trait that did not sound like you, do you assume it must be a bad description or do you concider that you might have choosen wrong?

If you found a description of something that is supposed to be one of your weakest traits - 7th or 8th - and it fit you, do you assume it is a bad description or do you question whether the 3 - 8 function order is correct?

Do you assume that the description(s) that correspond most closely with the official order of your MBTI traits is the correct one?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
A related thought. Do you go for descriptions that reinforce what you think of yourself or are you open to other interpretations.

For example, if you found a description of your dominant or secondary trait that did not sound like you, do you assume it must be a bad description or do you concider that you might have choosen wrong?

If you found a description of something that is supposed to be one of your weakest traits - 7th or 8th - and it fit you, do you assume it is a bad description or do you question whether the 3 - 8 function order is correct?

Do you assume that the description(s) that correspond most closely with the official order of your MBTI traits is the correct one?

Well, I used to do that, but lately I've started thinking of it another way. Different descriptions aren't necessarily right or wrong, they're just different. Meaning that I might be a different type according to one set of descriptions than I am according to another. Different standards, different results.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe

People have listed the varied descriptions of functions. Personally I like Berens/Nardi’s descriptions in their booklet ”Understanding Yourself and Others: An Introduction to the Personality Type Code” because they provide functional samples of each type. It was one reason that I was able to confirm that I use Se, thus finally determining my best fit type. Others have provided other examples, however I went straight to the horses mouth and started reading Jung’s work to prevent the biasness and interpretations of others.

Good questions. I think the average introverted type does over interpret and Ti dominant types dangerously become subjective in wanting the description to fit their view of things. I say dangerous because Ti dominant types delude themselves in being objective when they’re as subjective as the other introverted types. In the end, although Jung does not dismiss that we use all eight functions, he was primarily interested in the dominant and auxiliary functions, merely notes that your weakest function will be the opposite in function and attitude of your primary or dominant function. After that it’s a free-for-all which functions can and cannot be developed.

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't agree with the above poster that you can just grasp the same overall pattern from all the descriptions, because some of them point to different patterns. People seem to rely too much on their experiences and assumptions about it.

Your descriptions are very short, there are only a few sentences. I agree that it would be hard to grasp the overall pattern if you only rely on a lot of these sketchy descriptions. The Fi description of Lenore Thomson is 25 pages long and her description of an INFP has 8 pages. Naomi Quenk descripes the grip experiences of Fi on 23 pages. That´s a lot more information.

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP

Some people seem to think that the order of the functions is based on one´s skill to use them in an effective way. But it makes more sense to me that the dominant function reflects one´s approach to life. The secondary is the one which broadens your perspective, whereas the last (inferior) function is the opposite of your dominant function and therefore your approach to life.
If I arrange something alphabetically I´m using Te, but I don´t see life in a clear impersonal structured Te way. Te is my opposite and therefore my last function which erupts from time to time. I also don´t feel very comfortable with the Si approach nor the Fe approach.

My function order:
dominant Fi
secondary Ne
right-brain alternatives Ti and Se
left-brain double-agents Ni and Fe
tertiary Si
inferior Te

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Some people seem to think that the order of the functions is based on one´s skill to use them in an effective way. But it makes more sense to me that the dominant function reflects one´s approach to life. The secondary is the one which broadens your perspective, whereas the last (inferior) function is the opposite of your dominant function and therefore your approach to life.
If I arrange something alphabetically I´m using Te, but I don´t see life in a clear impersonal structured Te way. Te is my opposite and therefore my last function which erupts from time to time. I also don´t feel very comfortable with the Si approach nor the Fe approach.

My function order:
dominant Fi
secondary Ne
right-brain alternatives Ti and Se
left-brain double-agents Ni and Fe
tertiary Si
inferior Te
So you basically prescribe to Lenore Thomson's lasagna theory. It's a good theory and realistic with the reasons that types are not as different in real life as they are in theory.