• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ode to Processes: Preceiving--Se

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I've been trying for 31 years to grow a mustache but can't... now I'll never get to join the circus as a bearded or mustached lady :sadbanana:

we tore down my grandparents' old house when they built a new one when I was about 15... it was so much fun! I knocked out all of the windowsills with a sledge hammer and then pried everything I could loose with a crowbar :heart: gotta love farms for practical knowledge

LOL! I was suffering from extreme exhaustion (I'm getting ready to go back to sleep soon as I post this) when I replied. I read the word "muscles" as "mustache."

That's so funny and then uumlau and Poki's comments made it even funnier. I've obviously been watching MASH (Netflix) too much. When I read your post I imagined BJ Hunicutt with that big old mustache running in the breeze. I'm still laughing!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always liked finishing woodwork with OLD woodworking tools like jack planes and such, setting the blades finer and finer until the surface is as smooth as paper

brushes are much more satisfying than rollers :yes:

You are a goddess among women (and men)

Cygnus

He phrases it in an intensely anti-Se tone, but I think he's got the idea of Se nailed down.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He phrases it in an intensely anti-Se tone, but I think he's got the idea of Se nailed down.

He's talking about this: Flow (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Nardi's EEG work, the "blue" "zen state" that he refers to is a "flow state". Everyone can get into it. Ni doms are particularly good at entering.

The problem for the theory w/r to Se: Se isn't this in-the-flow state. Se correlates with what he calls a "tennis-ball" state, where the brain's highlighting bounces between a couple regions of the brain, waiting for a couple of different kinds of things to happen. The Ne "Christmas tree" state is similar to this bouncing Se state, except the "bouncing" is much more chaotic and covers all the regions. And none of these are the "in the flow" state.

The "in the flow" state is achieved by doing something that you're naturally good at, that you've practiced for years, that you "own", where you don't need more lessons, but instead are ready to teach lessons. Everyone can do it. What varies per MBTI type is how you commonly get into it. Si types enter this state when they practice. Fi types enter this state when they listen. Individuals of various types enter it when doing something with expertise. And Ni doms enter it when solving novel problems.

And none of this is Se behavior.

So I would say that when other types train up and lose themselves "in the moment" doing Se-ish kinds of things, they're doing this "in the flow" thing, but they aren't doing it Se does.

Mane

Permabanned

I don't know how relevant this is, since it's not clear how much of the material on the show is his own, but it might be worth noting that he has commented about MBTI and identifies as an INTP who is "Just barely introverted" (1:46 - 2:12):

It isn't clear how deep he has ever went into MBTI beyond the test, and almost every time he gets brought up people type him as ENTP rather then INTP, with the rare occasional shout out for ENFP or INFP... Regardless, this brings into question his tendency to tap Se in anything close to it's raw form by placing his Se at either the 7th or 8th place in the Beebe model, which isn't the best semantic model to go by but if we define Se the way it is used here, a 4 function model becomes impossible since it's no longer about how sensory information is processed and is now just about the very existence of sensory information and a functioning nervous system (Personally I have my doubts, if we go by this usage we might as well start quantifying Se by putting together people's reaction time, fine motor skills, visual acuity chart & their audiometry test results... But whatever, this seems to be the definition that sticks).

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ode (in the style of william carlos williams and inspired by true events)

You could have said something
Before I was hit by that car
The parked one
Bright red
In the space along the sidewalk
Instead of gazing at the clouds

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I quite working at discount tire because they put so many rules in place because other people kept getting hurt that it was no longer fun. No hoping over tire stacks and popping them up with your feet, no twirling, spinning, or tossing tools around, no races. Everyone taught me all there tips and tricks and I put them together and melded them all smoothly. They took out steel top changer which we used to race and I could change a tire from ground to ground full aired up in 30-45 seconds. People kept putting wrong tires on the wheel and those don't have any protection from that and when tire blows off wheel it can put you in the hospital. The wheel is locked down, but the tire is not so it flies. People used to watch me because I moved so fast and smooth. I had someone question my balancing ability because I didn't put weight where tool said, used different size and didn't double check balance. So I cockily threw tire on, balanced it, lowered lid and while it was doing final check I hopped on another tool to change tire, was perfect every time. Did that with all 4 tires I balanced. I tended to run 2 machines at once most of the time.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
You could have said something
Before I was hit by that car
The parked one
Bright red
In the space along the sidewalk
Instead of gazing at the clouds

Hilarious. I love it.

Cygnus

He's talking about this: Flow (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Nardi's EEG work, the "blue" "zen state" that he refers to is a "flow state". Everyone can get into it. Ni doms are particularly good at entering.

The problem for the theory w/r to Se: Se isn't this in-the-flow state. Se correlates with what he calls a "tennis-ball" state, where the brain's highlighting bounces between a couple regions of the brain, waiting for a couple of different kinds of things to happen. The Ne "Christmas tree" state is similar to this bouncing Se state, except the "bouncing" is much more chaotic and covers all the regions. And none of these are the "in the flow" state.

The "in the flow" state is achieved by doing something that you're naturally good at, that you've practiced for years, that you "own", where you don't need more lessons, but instead are ready to teach lessons. Everyone can do it. What varies per MBTI type is how you commonly get into it. Si types enter this state when they practice. Fi types enter this state when they listen. Individuals of various types enter it when doing something with expertise. And Ni doms enter it when solving novel problems.

And none of this is Se behavior.

So I would say that when other types train up and lose themselves "in the moment" doing Se-ish kinds of things, they're doing this "in the flow" thing, but they aren't doing it Se does.

I don't know how relevant this is, since it's not clear how much of the material on the show is his own, but it might be worth noting that he has commented about MBTI and identifies as an INTP who is "Just barely introverted" (1:46 - 2:12):

It isn't clear how deep he has ever went into MBTI beyond the test, and almost every time he gets brought up people type him as ENTP rather then INTP, with the rare occasional shout out for ENFP or INFP... Regardless, this brings into question his tendency to tap Se in anything close to it's raw form by placing his Se at either the 7th or 8th place in the Beebe model, which isn't the best semantic model to go by but if we define Se the way it is used here, a 4 function model becomes impossible since it's no longer about how sensory information is processed and is now just about the very existence of sensory information and a functioning nervous system (Personally I have my doubts, if we go by this usage we might as well start quantifying Se by putting together people's reaction time, fine motor skills, visual acuity chart & their audiometry test results... But whatever, this seems to be the definition that sticks).

If there was a "Constructive Post" button I'd totally hit it for these replies, but there isn't.