User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

  1. #1
    Senior Member Kensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Posts
    283

    Default What to trust, what to deem as bullshit

    I decided to take all four free personality tests for some apparent reason and these are my results
    Human metrics:ENFP
    Keirsey temperment sorter:Artisan
    Personality pathaways:ESTP
    Cognitive functions test:ESFP
    Which test is most accurate? Which one should I trust? Should I type myself as SP because that's what I turned out in most tests? Trust the cognitive functions test because it is the basis of the theory despite its proven exaggeration of accuracy? Or should I go with human metrics since it's the longest test? Any advice will help. I've always had trouble with my mbti type. Idk whether it's because of my Ne or that I do not fit the stereotype of any type. Any other topics you may want to bring up on this thread are also welcome.
    "Don't let a damned soul stomp on you for your age, but instead show them that you can be just as good as them in both morals and judgment"- 1 Timothy 4:12 in my own words that I can relate to.

    Please vote on my johari window at
    http://kevan.org/jh/kensei16
    I promise it will not take long.

  2. #2
    Fabula rasa Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    You shouldn’t trust tests too much. It is very common that they type someone differently (I had the same problem, I was typed mainly as INFJ, sometimes INFP,INTP,ENFP).

    They can only direct you, but won’t give you the answer. Now I think it’s more about how do you relate to the types, what your functions are too. But as your analysis and not only test.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

    Likes Destiny liked this post

  3. #3
    Dik Dik of the Year yama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe
    Posts
    7,724

    Default

    The tests are really only good as a starting point to narrow down the choices. I think the best way is to self-type based on the cognitive functions, but of course in order to do this you first need to be comfortable with your understanding of each of the functions.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

    not a type description

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Lol I have no understanding of the functions tbh. Sometimes I just find myself making up my own definitions of the functions so that they make sense, but I end up switching my type again in the end. Do you think you can help me detect the functions in myself?
    Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    The tests are really only good as a starting point to narrow down the choices. I think the best way is to self-type based on the cognitive functions, but of course in order to do this you first need to be comfortable with your understanding of each of the functions.
    "Don't let a damned soul stomp on you for your age, but instead show them that you can be just as good as them in both morals and judgment"- 1 Timothy 4:12 in my own words that I can relate to.

    Please vote on my johari window at
    http://kevan.org/jh/kensei16
    I promise it will not take long.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    All tests are bullshit. Do more research.
    Likes N/A liked this post

  6. #6
    Senior Member reckful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Last month I gave you a link to the official MBTI, which is the only MBTI-related test with a respectable body of research/support behind it. But your OP gives us the results from four tests with essentially no studies that back their reliability or validity, and doesn't give us your results on the official MBTI.

    At the same time, you say you're looking for a test you can "trust."

    What am I missing? It's certainly possible to mistype on the official MBTI, but it's the trustworthiest test available, and not by a small margin.

    Also: You say the cognitive functions are "the basis of the theory," but as further explained in this post and the posts it links to, the modern MBTI is really centered around the dichotomies rather than the functions. Decades of research led Myers to conclude that the dichotomies were the essential components of Jungian/MBTI type, and that dichotomy combinations were also associated with many noteworthy aspects of personality — but also that there was nothing particularly special about the combinations that are purportedly associated with the eight faux-Jungian functions that people like Linda Berens love to talk about.

    The Harold Grant function stack — the one that says INFP=Fi-Ne-Si-Te — is inconsistent with both Jung and Myers, has never been endorsed by the official MBTI folks, and has no respectable body of evidence behind it. And I think James Reynierse is correct to have concluded that the functions themselves are a "category mistake" that have no validity other than the piggybacked validity they end up with when, e.g., an "Si" description is put together that describes stuff that's characteristic of SJs, and is then found to apply reasonably well to people who purportedly "use Si" as their dominant or auxiliary function (because, duh, they're SJs). And again, in case you're interested, there's a lot more about all that in my second linked post (and the posts it links to).

  7. #7
    alchemist Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    Last month I gave you a link to the official MBTI, which is the only MBTI-related test with a respectable body of research/support behind it. But your OP gives us the results from four tests with essentially no studies that back their reliability or validity, and doesn't give us your results on the official MBTI.

    At the same time, you say you're looking for a test you can "trust."

    What am I missing? It's certainly possible to mistype on the official MBTI, but it's the trustworthiest test available, and not by a small margin.
    I just took this test, and I scored INFJ (I'm an ISTJ - ISTx by dichotomies and Si dominant by functions). What I did get from this test, is I quite clearly align with J types.

    I thought the "which word from each pair appeals to you most?" questions were kinda vague as to what exactly I was meant to be basing my decision on. Was it meant to be a word which fit how I act, or just which idea I liked the best? (I took the right test, yeah?)

  8. #8
    Senior Member reckful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I just took this test, and I scored INFJ (I'm an ISTJ - ISTx by dichotomies and Si dominant by functions). What I did get from this test, is I quite clearly align with J types.

    I thought the "which word from each pair appeals to you most?" questions were kinda vague as to what exactly I was meant to be basing my decision on. Was it meant to be a word which fit how I act, or just which idea I liked the best? (I took the right test, yeah?)
    FWIW, I'd say your posts in this thread sound a lot more consistent with INF than IST.

    As far as how to answer MBTI questions goes... The items on the official MBTI are selected based on their proven statistical tendency (based on thousands of tests) to separate, e.g., S's from N's when the test-taker is forced to choose one response or the other. And that's not to say that any particular item is likely to be chosen by anything like 90% or more of the appropriate type. The MBTI Manual expressly acknowledges that, in many cases, both sides of a particular item are likely to have some appeal to any particular test-taker, and also that, in many cases, the alternative choices don't exactly make sense in terms of a logical opposition. As the Manual explains:

    Quote Originally Posted by MBTI Manual
    In writing items, every effort was made to make the responses appeal to the appropriate types, for example, to make the perceptive response to a JP item as attractive to P people as the judging response is to J people. The result is that responses may be psychologically rather than logically opposed, a fact that annoys many thinking types. Item content is less important than that the words and form of the sentence should serve as a "stimulus to evoke a type response."
    I often describe the MBTI preferences — at least in terms of many of their aspects — as "temperament tugs." In cases where you're conflicted and one side of the conflict is more the "gut level" or "natural inclination" you and the other side is a more rational/calculating side of you that, to some degree, wants to rein in (or thinks you should rein in) your more natural inclinations for the sake of external results or for any other reason, your MBTI preference is more likely to correspond to the "natural inclination." In describing the right frame of mind for taking the official MBTI, the MBTI Manual explains:

    Quote Originally Posted by MBTI Manual
    Some people have trouble finding the correct frame of mind for answering the MBTI. When reporting the results to some people, they say they reported their "work self," "school self," "ideal self," or some other self they now consider atypical. The frame of reference desired in respondents is what has been termed the "shoes-off self." The "shoes-off self" fosters an attitude in which one functions naturally, smoothly, and effortlessly, and in which one is not going "against one's grain." The function of the MBTI is to provide the first step toward understanding one's natural preferences.

  9. #9
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I just took this test, and I scored INFJ (I'm an ISTJ - ISTx by dichotomies and Si dominant by functions). What I did get from this test, is I quite clearly align with J types.

    I thought the "which word from each pair appeals to you most?" questions were kinda vague as to what exactly I was meant to be basing my decision on. Was it meant to be a word which fit how I act, or just which idea I liked the best? (I took the right test, yeah?)
    I got INTP.

    And yeah I didn't get the word association either.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  10. #10
    alchemist Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    FWIW, I'd say your posts in this thread sound a lot more consistent with INF than IST.
    Interesting. Could you give a general reason as to why you think INF seems to fit?

    I've read so many conflicting things and changed my type so many times and pondered in many useless directions on the subject, so I feel that I've become unable to type myself. However, I have asked 3 people I know IRL about my type, 1 of which knows a lot more about type than I do, and the responses they gave were: ISTJ, ISTX, ISTX.

    However:
    As far as how to answer MBTI questions goes... The items on the official MBTI are selected based on their proven statistical tendency (based on thousands of tests) to separate, e.g., S's from N's when the test-taker is forced to choose one response or the other. And that's not to say that any particular item is likely to be chosen by anything like 90% or more of the appropriate type. The MBTI Manual expressly acknowledges that, in many cases, both sides of a particular item are likely to have some appeal to any particular test-taker, and also that, in many cases, the alternative choices don't exactly make sense in terms of a logical opposition. As the Manual explains:
    I often describe the MBTI preferences — at least in terms of many of their aspects — as "temperament tugs." In cases where you're conflicted and one side of the conflict is more the "gut level" or "natural inclination" you and the other side is a more rational/calculating side of you that, to some degree, wants to rein in (or thinks you should rein in) your more natural inclinations for the sake of external results or for any other reason, your MBTI preference is more likely to correspond to the "natural inclination." In describing the right frame of mind for taking the official MBTI, the MBTI Manual explains:
    I actually switched between "mulling it over" and going with my "gut reaction" halfway through the first list of appeal questions, and when I switched into gut reaction mode, I went straight for the N/F options.


    Why would it be, that I seem to be INF, yet people who know me the best in real life think I'm an IST?

    (not that you would know the answer, but you may have some insight here?)

Similar Threads

  1. Coming across to people as different from what you thought
    By xpeacexrainbowx in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-30-2015, 12:32 PM
  2. [INTP] How to seduce as an INTP
    By laughingebony in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 398
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 02:45 AM
  3. On the reasons why an ISFJ Catholic refers to feces as "concentrated sin"
    By nozflubber in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 08:37 AM
  4. [ENFP] What happens to Enfps as they get older?
    By Angry Ayrab in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 10:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO