User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Music and Advantageous Functions

I know there are obviously music gods of every type, and that musical talent doesn't necessarily relate to type...but it seems like it should. As an Ne-dominant whose primary focus is music, i feel like i have a huge advantage in inventing and improvising by seeing weird new possibilities in music, and through Ti i can get an understanding of my entire musical thought system or whatever. but maybe Ses have a good attention to detail so it might work better for like chamber music or something? i'm not sure, does anyone have any take on this matter. are certain functions necessary for musical prowess?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

sensing would be necessary to hear how new input compares to the piece so far.

(having a good ear is S)

MBTI
    INFP

I'm a INFP musician/songwriter and I feel that my ability most likely comes from the F, which allows me to easily judge whether something sounds pleasant or unpleasant and whether it is more expressive/less expressive, more beautiful/less beautiful, and more interesting/less interesting than other possible sound combinations. The N allows me to make the music meaningful and correlate the sounds with the feelings they are supposed to represent. It would probably work this way for a T, also, because any strong judging process allows for the ability to determine whether a creative idea is interesting. NT music would probably sound somewhat similar to NF music, and from my experience with friends from both temperament categories, I find that they tend to have similar preferences when listening to music. NTs and NFs may like the same styles of music for different reasons, but what I find interesting is that they tend to like the same music at all when they are often so different about everything that actually matters.

Don't discount the musical capabilities of certain S types, because some of my most talented musical friends are SPs. Their music might not be as intentionally deep, but it can be just as emotionally potent. The meanings get worked in subconsciously and the music is capable of arousing very specific feelings in a communicative way. An ESFP drummer I almost dated could communicate his sexual desire for me with his music, building to a passionate climax of sound in such a way that it affected everyone in the room, and when I discussed it with him, he assured me that it wasn't intentional. He just happened to be fantasizing about me while playing and I felt it perfectly. The other male who was there (ENFP) was affected by the music like a sexual empath, but projected the lust onto me (a female) instead of the drummer (a male) to avoid homoerotic confusion, leaving me awkwardly sexually aroused in a room with two lust-crazed musicians who were both too pure to do what I was thinking about. (...so was I, actually. Curse my inhibitions!)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

my (Ni+Fe)allows me to mix several make genres and styles in one piece
    making them coherent and cohesive with the the same underlying feeling tone
    I N V I C T U S

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think overall Ne is the function most adept at writing lyrics, while Se is the function most adept at creating melodies. I also think feelers are better at inserting emotional impact into their music. These are just tendencies though. I think there are talented people of every type.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I'm ENTJ, and Ni is perfect for creating different riffs and rythmics and melodies see how they can "flow" togheter. Te is perfect for evaluating how much energy music will transmit.

However, as far as lyrics go I'm completely clueless - and I do not even generally consider them when I'm listening to a piece of music.

I find Ni to be very useful in dancing too - I've always had a perfect sense of rythm.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

I think maybe Fi is the most important function in making music. Sometimes I think about Fi as artistic feeling. Strong Fi seems to give you the need to express your emotions, and you are very aware of them, making it easier to translate them. As far as Se and Ne goes, I think Se generally leads to an entertainment based approach to music, while Ne leads to an experimental approach. I theorize the best musicians are INFPs.

And I don't think Ss would have a better ear than Ns or so on. Music is a language. Do Ss understand language better than Ns? Isn't it actually opposite?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

sensation, though, will automatically pick up notes that are off-key or off-beat.

i attribute much of my musical prowess to Se. (true for my brother augmented, too).

also, improvisation is largely sensation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

My ISFJ high school band teacher who was way overqualified could hear a melody once and never (ever) forget how it went. He could also think for a moment and play it in any key on the piano. I also know an INTJ who can listen to anything and think for a moment and play it in any key on the piano.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

I kick ass at improv. Is it Ne or just the fact that I'm willing to try, not caring if I totally screw up?
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson