User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    I kick ass at improv. Is it Ne or just the fact that I'm willing to try, not caring if I totally screw up?
    The latter.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INTj

How I see it, the N type would probably be a more effective composer or director because they naturally see the piece as a whole. S types on the other hand would do better as the musicians themselves, working more in the small picture.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

MBTI
    INTP

so music has two sides, the artistic creative side and the technical mechanical side.

the technical side is limited by physical ability and not type. as far as creativity, it can come from any type imo. yes there are certain types which are naturally more active in honing their creative skills but i would never say this or that type is not capable of creating a beautiful work of art, be it with paint brushes or musical instruments.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kleinheiko View Post
    How I see it, the N type would probably be a more effective composer or director because they naturally see the piece as a whole. S types on the other hand would do better as the musicians themselves, working more in the small picture.
    Music composition is very difficult... particularly with classical and certain styles of jazz, or experimental rock, one has to have a very solid grasp on theory (even if it's not formal training) of harmony and rhythms... so N's and S' would both have to work their asses off to get there... in my opinion, it's not that certain types would be more effective composers or directors... it's the kind of composing or directing they end up doing that is more affected by their dominant function(s)... meaning, we can probably rack up thousands of N's and S's who all were excellent composers... so the argument doesn't stick... but could possibly find out revealing things about how they went about composing and how their musical ideas differ according to type.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    sensation, though, will automatically pick up notes that are off-key or off-beat.

i attribute much of my musical prowess to Se. (true for my brother augmented, too).

also, improvisation is largely sensation.
    but i'm not Se. that's the thing...i only identify at all with a sensation perspective when i'm listening to music, when i'm listening closely to certain riffs or drum fills. when it comes to having an entire song mapped out, chord change for chord change, hit for hit, i'm more accurate and faster than anyone i know, even though i'm an N. it seems like that skill should come from Se but it's not present anywhere else in my life.

with regards to improvisation, i'm pretty confident that Ne does all the work for me, that along with an extensive knowledge of theory and stuff. NeTi etc.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by augmented View Post
    but i'm not Se. that's the thing...i only identify at all with a sensation perspective when i'm listening to music, when i'm listening closely to certain riffs or drum fills. when it comes to having an entire song mapped out, chord change for chord change, hit for hit, i'm more accurate and faster than anyone i know, even though i'm an N. it seems like that skill should come from Se but it's not present anywhere else in my life.

with regards to improvisation, i'm pretty confident that Ne does all the work for me, that along with an extensive knowledge of theory and stuff. NeTi etc.
    yeah, that's your Si. Se and Si have a lot of overlap. as long as the input is important to the internal standard of sensing, Se and Si basically do the same thing in this regard.

MBTI
    ENTP

so then you think i could be INTP?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

it's quite possible.

but just because you're N dominant doesn't mean you can't have good S abilities. it just means you're less tuned to them and less in control of them.

(look at our mom [istj]; she has good ability with Ne, as you can tell with her word-game skill.)

MBTI
    IXTX

Quote Originally Posted by augmented View Post
    I know there are obviously music gods of every type, and that musical talent doesn't necessarily relate to type...but it seems like it should. As an Ne-dominant whose primary focus is music, i feel like i have a huge advantage in inventing and improvising by seeing weird new possibilities in music, and through Ti i can get an understanding of my entire musical thought system or whatever. but maybe Ses have a good attention to detail so it might work better for like chamber music or something? i'm not sure, does anyone have any take on this matter. are certain functions necessary for musical prowess?
    I'm an ISTP and a primarily a jazz musician and I compose and improvise all the time. I can go very out there(out of the box) with my improve and composing and be very creative, I don't really think it has anything to do really with Ne.

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    I think maybe Fi is the most important function in making music. Sometimes I think about Fi as artistic feeling. Strong Fi seems to give you the need to express your emotions, and you are very aware of them, making it easier to translate them. As far as Se and Ne goes, I think Se generally leads to an entertainment based approach to music, while Ne leads to an experimental approach. I theorize the best musicians are INFPs.

And I don't think Ss would have a better ear than Ns or so on. Music is a language. Do Ss understand language better than Ns? Isn't it actually opposite?
    I am able to put strong emotion into my playing and am In touch with my emotions but I do not have Strong Fi? How do you explain that?

What do you mean Se generally leads to entertainment based approach to music?

I experiment all the time, I'm into very modern, out of the box, out there things...

And lastly I'm an ISTP and I transcribe whole jazz solos all the time note for note by ear and memorize it, I don't write it down at all....... How does Ss not have a better ear then Ns?

I don't think talent with music has to do with personality traits at all......because from my experience being a professional musician/college student. Unless you can utilize other traits to do different tasks not normally meant for the trait, thats the only way to explain anything I just said.
    I'm a Musician and a Teacher. Feel free to talk to me about anything =P

My motto: It's never too late

I identify with ISTP, INTP, INTJ......the % are so balanced I can't decide.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

So, in other words, no. No function in particular gives one an advantage over another as far as music goes.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp