• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why does everyone think autistic people are predominately intuitive?

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
One of the primary factors in autism is a literal, boxed in mindset. They are known for organizing material matter to put it somewhat vaguely and can't help but be in tune with or at least invest a great deal of concentration into their physical surrounding due to how confusing and unsettling they can be to them, like sensors. I mean, yeah the latter could be an N trait but isn't type determined by how profoundly the functions are used, not by how much they progress people's lives? I can easily predict that I am potentially being ignorant here, so tell me so and back it up well if you disagree! This topic interests me a lot.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I always thought autistic people would be on super ISTJ mode.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah not that autism necessarily has a type per-say, but I would think that the structured interests and behavior would point towards ISTJ if any type. Although I have known some autists who are very sociable, their interests are usually pretty one dimensional. I would think that they would have more difficulty following abstract reasoning than neurotypicals which would mean they generally would be less likely to be intuitives.

Little_Sticks

Well, we could say they both have in common an esoteric personality.

Actually, an autistic person can hyperfocus on reading between the lines to the point that they do it really well. But they'd have trouble with reading people spontaneously and relating to the feeling of a group. There would be a natural absence of Fe, rather than a suppressed one, I'd think.

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
Well, we could say they both have in common an esoteric personality.

Actually, an autistic person can hyperfocus on reading between the lines to the point that they do it really well. But they'd have trouble with reading people spontaneously and relating to the feeling of a group. There would be a natural absence of Fe, rather than a suppressed one, I'd think.

Who said anything about suppressed Fe?

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
I think they're predominantly autistic.

Ok smarty I wasn't saying autism= a particular type. I was just generalizing the relationship between type and an certain affliction (sorry if I'm not being PC by calling it that) as herds of others have done before me. There are connections to be made ya dig

Little_Sticks

Who said anything about suppressed Fe?

*sigh*

The hallmarks of an autistic diagnosis excludes being Fe ego. They have to try and remember what body language means; they don't simply recognize it without thinking about it. This also means someone with unconscious Fe is not autistic because they have natural Fe, but repress it to their personal unconscious, i.e. Ti doms or Ti auxiliary types.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One of the primary factors in autism is a literal, boxed in mindset. They are known for organizing material matter to put it somewhat vaguely and can't help but be in tune with or at least invest a great deal of concentration into their physical surrounding due to how confusing and unsettling they can be to them, like sensors. I mean, yeah the latter could be an N trait but isn't type determined by how profoundly the functions are used, not by how much they progress people's lives? I can easily predict that I am potentially being ignorant here, so tell me so and back it up well if you disagree! This topic interests me a lot.

The reason is because intuitives, especially introverted intuitives, especially thinkers, come off as weirdos. People don't really know what's going on, and they heard about this thing called autism, so they kind of apply that label without knowing or caring what it means.

What trips introverted intuitives up is that they can't just treat most people the way they would want to be treated, because most people want different things.

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
*sigh*

The hallmarks of an autistic diagnosis excludes being Fe ego. They have to try and remember what body language means; they don't simply recognize it without thinking about it. This also means someone with unconscious Fe is not autistic because they have natural Fe, but repress it to their personal unconscious, i.e. Ti doms or Ti auxiliary types.

Yeah interesting point that I happen to agree with I was just saying it kinda came out of nowhere lol

big sexy

MBTI Type
INfP
Autistic people can be any type. They might be more likely to be introverted, but other than that I assume they're generally no more intuitive (or, say, thinking, or judging) than average.