12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    gvf
    Socionics
    gfxd Ni

Default Why does everyone think autistic people are predominately intuitive?

One of the primary factors in autism is a literal, boxed in mindset. They are known for organizing material matter to put it somewhat vaguely and can't help but be in tune with or at least invest a great deal of concentration into their physical surrounding due to how confusing and unsettling they can be to them, like sensors. I mean, yeah the latter could be an N trait but isn't type determined by how profoundly the functions are used, not by how much they progress people's lives? I can easily predict that I am potentially being ignorant here, so tell me so and back it up well if you disagree! This topic interests me a lot.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I always thought autistic people would be on super ISTJ mode.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    7 sx/sp

Yeah not that autism necessarily has a type per-say, but I would think that the structured interests and behavior would point towards ISTJ if any type. Although I have known some autists who are very sociable, their interests are usually pretty one dimensional. I would think that they would have more difficulty following abstract reasoning than neurotypicals which would mean they generally would be less likely to be intuitives.
    Likes Jet Stream, Luke O, laurapants08 liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    gvf
    Socionics
    gfxd Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    I always thought autistic people would be on super ISTJ mode.
    I was thinking the same now that you mention it.

Well, we could say they both have in common an esoteric personality.

Actually, an autistic person can hyperfocus on reading between the lines to the point that they do it really well. But they'd have trouble with reading people spontaneously and relating to the feeling of a group. There would be a natural absence of Fe, rather than a suppressed one, I'd think.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    gvf
    Socionics
    gfxd Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Well, we could say they both have in common an esoteric personality.

Actually, an autistic person can hyperfocus on reading between the lines to the point that they do it really well. But they'd have trouble with reading people spontaneously and relating to the feeling of a group. There would be a natural absence of Fe, rather than a suppressed one, I'd think.
    Who said anything about suppressed Fe?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I think they're predominantly autistic.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    gvf
    Socionics
    gfxd Ni

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I think they're predominantly autistic.
    Ok smarty I wasn't saying autism= a particular type. I was just generalizing the relationship between type and an certain affliction (sorry if I'm not being PC by calling it that) as herds of others have done before me. There are connections to be made ya dig
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Stream View Post
    Who said anything about suppressed Fe?
    *sigh*

The hallmarks of an autistic diagnosis excludes being Fe ego. They have to try and remember what body language means; they don't simply recognize it without thinking about it. This also means someone with unconscious Fe is not autistic because they have natural Fe, but repress it to their personal unconscious, i.e. Ti doms or Ti auxiliary types.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Stream View Post
    One of the primary factors in autism is a literal, boxed in mindset. They are known for organizing material matter to put it somewhat vaguely and can't help but be in tune with or at least invest a great deal of concentration into their physical surrounding due to how confusing and unsettling they can be to them, like sensors. I mean, yeah the latter could be an N trait but isn't type determined by how profoundly the functions are used, not by how much they progress people's lives? I can easily predict that I am potentially being ignorant here, so tell me so and back it up well if you disagree! This topic interests me a lot.
    The reason is because intuitives, especially introverted intuitives, especially thinkers, come off as weirdos. People don't really know what's going on, and they heard about this thing called autism, so they kind of apply that label without knowing or caring what it means.

What trips introverted intuitives up is that they can't just treat most people the way they would want to be treated, because most people want different things.
    I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
    Turned on some music to start my day
    I lost myself in a familiar song
    I closed my eyes and I slipped away

Visit my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes Evee liked this post