User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 12

  1. #1
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    gvf
    Socionics
    gfxd Ni
    Posts
    319

    Default Why does everyone think autistic people are predominately intuitive?

    One of the primary factors in autism is a literal, boxed in mindset. They are known for organizing material matter to put it somewhat vaguely and can't help but be in tune with or at least invest a great deal of concentration into their physical surrounding due to how confusing and unsettling they can be to them, like sensors. I mean, yeah the latter could be an N trait but isn't type determined by how profoundly the functions are used, not by how much they progress people's lives? I can easily predict that I am potentially being ignorant here, so tell me so and back it up well if you disagree! This topic interests me a lot.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Habba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    997

    Default

    I always thought autistic people would be on super ISTJ mode.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

  3. #3
    Senior Member Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,248

    Default

    Yeah not that autism necessarily has a type per-say, but I would think that the structured interests and behavior would point towards ISTJ if any type. Although I have known some autists who are very sociable, their interests are usually pretty one dimensional. I would think that they would have more difficulty following abstract reasoning than neurotypicals which would mean they generally would be less likely to be intuitives.
    Likes Jet Stream, Luke O, laurapants08 liked this post

  4. #4
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    gvf
    Socionics
    gfxd Ni
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    I always thought autistic people would be on super ISTJ mode.
    I was thinking the same now that you mention it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Well, we could say they both have in common an esoteric personality.

    Actually, an autistic person can hyperfocus on reading between the lines to the point that they do it really well. But they'd have trouble with reading people spontaneously and relating to the feeling of a group. There would be a natural absence of Fe, rather than a suppressed one, I'd think.

  6. #6
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    gvf
    Socionics
    gfxd Ni
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Well, we could say they both have in common an esoteric personality.

    Actually, an autistic person can hyperfocus on reading between the lines to the point that they do it really well. But they'd have trouble with reading people spontaneously and relating to the feeling of a group. There would be a natural absence of Fe, rather than a suppressed one, I'd think.
    Who said anything about suppressed Fe?

  7. #7
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,782

    Default

    I think they're predominantly autistic.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  8. #8
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    gvf
    Socionics
    gfxd Ni
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I think they're predominantly autistic.
    Ok smarty I wasn't saying autism= a particular type. I was just generalizing the relationship between type and an certain affliction (sorry if I'm not being PC by calling it that) as herds of others have done before me. There are connections to be made ya dig
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Stream View Post
    Who said anything about suppressed Fe?
    *sigh*

    The hallmarks of an autistic diagnosis excludes being Fe ego. They have to try and remember what body language means; they don't simply recognize it without thinking about it. This also means someone with unconscious Fe is not autistic because they have natural Fe, but repress it to their personal unconscious, i.e. Ti doms or Ti auxiliary types.

  10. #10
    ציפור Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    8,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Stream View Post
    One of the primary factors in autism is a literal, boxed in mindset. They are known for organizing material matter to put it somewhat vaguely and can't help but be in tune with or at least invest a great deal of concentration into their physical surrounding due to how confusing and unsettling they can be to them, like sensors. I mean, yeah the latter could be an N trait but isn't type determined by how profoundly the functions are used, not by how much they progress people's lives? I can easily predict that I am potentially being ignorant here, so tell me so and back it up well if you disagree! This topic interests me a lot.
    The reason is because intuitives, especially introverted intuitives, especially thinkers, come off as weirdos. People don't really know what's going on, and they heard about this thing called autism, so they kind of apply that label without knowing or caring what it means.

    What trips introverted intuitives up is that they can't just treat most people the way they would want to be treated, because most people want different things.
    I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
    Turned on some music to start my day
    I lost myself in a familiar song
    I closed my eyes and I slipped away


    Visit my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes Evee liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Why does everyone hate ESFJs? (Warning.... yet another Fe vs. Fi discussion)
    By Julius_Van_Der_Beak in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM
  2. [Fi] Why does everyone hate on Fi?
    By Elfboy in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 292
    Last Post: 06-01-2013, 08:09 PM
  3. Does everyone think "their" type is the best?
    By angelhair45 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-18-2010, 12:21 AM
  4. [NF] Why does everyone think I'm sick?
    By hommefatal in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 10:26 AM
  5. Why do you think that you are misunderstood ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 01:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO