• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ? When you write a massive wall of text, and get a one-word reply like 'No.'

Retmeishka

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think I've experienced this with INTJs before, but I'm wondering if it could be some other type too, like ISTJ? It's just that I don't really think ISTJs do that to me in particular - it seems to have happened most with the INTJ. Anyone else experienced this?

Massive wall of text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla congue ex a orci efficitur, sit amet accumsan metus varius. Suspendisse semper sapien eros, hendrerit tempor arcu feugiat congue. The house burned down, my farm was attacked by a plague of locusts, my wife doesn't think I'm sexy anymore and she left me for another man, the truck broke down, my dog broke his leg and I'm crying over my beer, and so on and so forth. Can you help?

INTJ reply: No. (or a terse 'yes' depending on whatever the question was about).

I just had this happen recently (elsewhere, not in this forum) and was trying to guess the type of the person who said it, without having much information to go on about that person. It was a quick judgment where the person seemed to skim through what I had said and then gave an answer without emotion, even though the situation was personal and emotional. (I was just kind of copying stuff from country songs to fill that in. I'm not a man and my wife didn't leave me, but I've had some really awful crap going on in my life lately.)

Might some other type do that kind of thing too, depending on the situation? If all that I can know about this person is their personality type, then I am able to understand why they are doing what they're doing, and that helps me, even though I cannot easily get what it was that I wanted from them.

Retmeishka

MBTI Type
ISTP
I didn't want to malign INTJs or ISTJs or whatever type it was. I just want to understand what I'm dealing with so that I can form a plan of action, so that I can figure out how to approach this person.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No.

Just kidding. I have seen this type of thing with INTJs, but it's definitely not limited to one type. I think in general, less emotionally mature people who are not good at sympathy are prone to this. Or maybe they just enjoy being obnoxious and unhelpful.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't like reading long walls of text Myself. Normally if you want someone to respond more deeply, it helps to just focus on your core ideas + use decent paragraph breaks. But usually I'll just never respond at all in that situation.

Some people regardless of type will respond with pithy answers regardless, for a variety of reasons (some fair, some just to be prickly). So it's more on a case by case basis.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I think that even though there will always be those who just give you a one word answer, there are others who will be interested in what you say and give you a reply with thought and reasoning behind it.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose I would give one word answers if I thought the O.P. was a bunch of B.S. that deserves a negative response with as little engagement as possible. It follows that IxTJs think more things are B.S. than I would. I suppose in general, Ni and Si through Te may not be least likely to recognize the need for explanation, and have a more difficult time of it, I suppose.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My intj bff uses the one word answers frequently

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ugh I dont think this is related to type. Honestly I get this from my friends who I expect to be sensors. Not to say that all sensors do this, but I get this from those who are more clearly defined as sensing. Especially Se types... I have one friend who I think is an ESFP and it got to the point where all my texts are under two sentances because I dont think I have ever gotten much more than that from him. Not that I blame him for it or anything, he is really expressive in person and extremely chatty, but texting is just not his thing.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't like reading long walls of text Myself. Normally if you want someone to respond more deeply, it helps to just focus on your core ideas + use decent paragraph breaks. But usually I'll just never respond at all in that situation.

This. Also, I try to answer a question, not navigate someones vent about whatever is going on in their life. If I give a one word reply, that's all I've got.

violett

Its not type related. I avoid writing walls of text. I think in terms of time investment vs. return on investment.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
A one word reply usually means that the rest of the conversation is internal. I tend to find it with all Js to keep degree or another. Depends upon how hard you press them.

INTJ would be my first guess though if someone did do that. They rarely share the internal process and are adept at summing up complicated subjects. Plus many INTJs seem to be of the mind "why bother". Unless you've said something interesting, in which case they may still reply with one word and then go and think about their full response.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sometimes, a terse reply really is a distillation of one's thoughts, and packaging that reply in a wall of text would just be a waste. The length of a piece of text doesn't necessarily reflect the amount of thought that's been put into it.

In fact, it can be more difficult for one to come up with a reply that's succinct but that still captures their thoughts. It's much easier to let it all out, stream-of-consciousness like, in a way that's completely incomprehensible but with the point buried somewhere in it.