• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is excessive emoji use indictive of high Ne?

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
Forgive me if I'm misusing the word emoji. I am rather unversed in modern and even non modern tech terms, so I'm fearful emojis might refer to colorful faces and icons confined only to cell phones. Such a corny word to being with..I shudder a bit using it myself but I digress...
anyway I noticed that those who tend to type using slews of exclamation marks and/ or ;):smile::):mad::wink::happy2::huh::doh:s etc. are so often self typed and or/ typed by others as xNxPs, the types with the strongest Ne of them all. What's with this?

aanule

MBTI Type
ENFP
Inflection. Words are just words without inflection, so emojis and punctuation aid in getting our true meaning across.

For example, I like to tease. In person, my flirty grin would tell you I'm teasing, but online the words could easily be taken very wrong. Adding a *winky* face is the online equivalent of the flirty grin.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Mm, probably not. There used to be a user named Halla who used more emojis than anyone else on the forum, he was an ESTP. It's really too bad he's not around anymore, his posts were great.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have noticed that a lot of EF types use them frequently. Because they're fun or something?

I use them once in a while, but I prefer to express myself with words. (Although I admit I do like to use memes. Mostly to get laughs.)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have noticed that a lot of EF types use them frequently. Because they're fun or something?

We just have so many feelings and no way to externalize them without body language. :D :frolic:

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We just have so many feelings and no way to externalize them without body language. :D :frolic:
So is this how you feel all the time?
zkrX9.gif

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I use them alot mainly just because I like them and think that they are fun and because as was said before they kind of take the place of body language for me in a way.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
either to make my tone more clear or just because I like them and they're fun. sometimes I communicate in all emoji.

i must add that iphone emojis are far superior to the forum smilies and I wish I could use emojis here

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
:fiesta::birthday::encore::rock::party2::cakegirl::bunnyd::static::yays::bunnyglee::spindance::moonwalk::banana::party::butterflee::biggrin::biggrin::rotfl::yay::happy0065:

You sort of asked for this... Only yourself to blame

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Mm, probably not. There used to be a user named Halla who used more emojis than anyone else on the forum, he was an ESTP. It's really too bad he's not around anymore, his posts were great.

I miss him too. I never minded his emoji overload for some reason.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to use my words, partially because I'm bad with them and I want to get better, and partially because none of the emoticons are exactly quite right for most given situations. The :hi: is too smarmy the :) is too yellow and placid.

Which is why I didn't notice THAT THEY F'ING GOT RID OF THE :WIZARD: EMOTICON, BRING IT BACK!! NAO!

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think SPs would use emoji more than NPs.

NPs are usually better with words than SPs. Often SPs (esp ISPs) fall under the category of types that finds it the hardest to express themselves with words.

Therefore, SPs might prefer to use emoji more for self expression. That sounds easier that way.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Tuh, this is ME. I'm so guilty of using an emoji for like every text (sometimes two of the same to get my point across, like two laughing-and-crying faces if someone sent me a real knee-slapper), two or three exclamation points, etc.

My mom and dad never use situation-appropriate emojis. Like one time my dad texted me to ask if my mom was making dinner or if he should pick something up and used the heart-eyes cat. My mom laughs her tookus off when she sees the sick face wearing a mask.

I just like them because some of them are pretty cool and they get the point across. It's like signing your name with a heart or a smiley face.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I use them once in a while, but I prefer to express myself with words. (Although I admit I do like to use memes. Mostly to get laughs.)
I prefer words as well and never use emoticons. If I cannot express something in words, it probably doesn't need to be expressed, at least on an online forum like this. If I do feel the need to go beyond words, I will post an image, song, or film clip.

I enjoyed Halla's posts as well, emoticons notwithstanding. Perhaps his example indicates some preference among E__P's for their use: it is (presumably) a shorthand way of relating in the moment to the outside world something going on inside.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ummm well, when I first got the emoji app for text messaging I used emojis all of the time. After a while they started to lose their appeal. Maybe it is just an easy way to supplement what someone is saying and enhance it into a different dimension. Anyway, my question is is constant use of emojis indicative of the same thing as occasional use?