• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dear John, Can We Type You?

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
When I first met John [not his real name] he looked like he had walked right off the set of the 13th Warrior or a Viking movie of some sort. He was 6 ft. tall, had long blond hair that he wore in a ponytail, had a beard, and weighed somewhere around 215 pounds. He wore baggy, faded jeans that didn't always meet up with his shirt like they were supposed to, work boots and he spoke with a thick mountain accent. John identified himself as a hillbilly and told me that he'd been all over the U.S. He told me that he lived out of a duffle bag and he wasn't lying. We trained together for two years and everything he said turned out to be true. He roams from Florida to Kentucky to Tennessee to Puerto Rico to New York, all points in-between and then back again. He has friends, families and ex-lovers in all of these places. For the past few months, he has been in Florida. But he drove up here in November and then again in January. He's shaved his beard and shaved off forty pounds, too, through extensive martial arts training. He mows lawns, moves people and works part time for his brother who is a stunt driver for movies.

John has had many lovers but only one great love, Baguazhang. He trains no matter where he goes and he is, for lack of better terminology, "a bad dude." He is fiercely loyal to our grandmaster [an INTJ, for the record], although he once challenged him and Grandmaster threw him across the room, smacking him up against the wall. He was Grandmaster's first student, 30+ years ago, when he was just a kid, and he felt that the family "system" should be handed to him because that is customary, BUT our grandmaster told him that he was too unpredictable and too given to explosiveness which is unbecoming of a Bagua master, so John got all huffy and challenged our teacher. Needless to say, he picked himself up off the floor and humbly apologized. Still, he LOVES our teacher and is fiercely loyal to him. Nobody else had better challenge the teacher or John will try to kill them. But that's John. He struggles with impulsiveness at times.

So, here's my thing. I can't type him. I mean on the one hand, he seems very ESTP like, but he's SO intuitive. For example, yesterday he had a "feeling" that he should call me at the same time that I had a "feeling" I should call him. We were actually trying to call each other at the same time and ended up having a big conversation about intuition. John makes almost all of his decisions based on his "gut feelings. Suffice it to say, that I've got ESTP siblings and they don't share his intuition, at least not that level of it. He's also quick to smile and tell you if he likes something or not. He doesn't always listen well, but he has a lot of good ideas and a lot of absolutely crazy ones, too. He is predictably unpredictable. He struggles with relationships, he has kids by two different gals and has a long string of ex-girlfriends.

So I thought he might be an ENTP, because of his constant need for change. I am sure he's an extrovert. There is no doubt that he's that. He needs people. If he is alone too long, he just goes nuts. ENFP crossed my mind as did ENFJ but he's too aggressive to be an ENFP and he's not Fe enough to be an ENFJ or is he? I don't know many ENFJs, so maybe? He's humorous and friendly, has a boyish charm and doesn't come off like an ENTJ, at least the ones I know. He's too laissez-faire to be ENTJ. So, I'm still thinking maybe an ENTP, but since I've never been close to an ENTP before, I don't know. I don't know what one looks like in a friendship. Also, he has both a lot of enemies and a lot of friends. Despite the fact that he never went to college, he is quite intelligent and adaptable. For all of his "badness" he is quick to apologize when he is in the wrong and, at times, I see a compassion in him that he doesn't show in front of the other "guys" but I'm not a guy but neither am I a woman that wants to date him. I'm just me and he says I'm not like anybody he's ever seen, so he lets his guard down around me. Ironically, we've grown closer since he left and we talk mostly on the phone than we were while he was here. There is something about a platonic relationship between genders that gives this type of thing "room." In Enneagram, I'm thinking either an 8w7 or a 7w8.

So, type experts and wanna-be experts [I fall into this category], too, give me your input. What do you think? Can we unravel the John puzzle?

infinium

MBTI Type
INTJ
I go for ESFP too..

He seems outgoing and spontaneous. He felt that family "system" should be handed to him because that is customary (I think thats Fi) and he values people. He doesnt strike me as an NT person, ESFP have Ni for inferior functions, probably thats where he got his gut feelings from and he seems very practical, living 'the now' to the fullest.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I go for ESFP too..

He seems outgoing and spontaneous. He felt that family "system" should be handed to him because that is customary (I think thats Fi) and he values people. He doesnt strike me as an NT person, ESFP have Ni for inferior functions, probably thats where he got his gut feelings from and he seems very practical, living 'the now' to the fullest.

I hadn't even considered ESFP. Thank you for providing your reasoning.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I failed to mention two crucial points about John's personality that may help us in identifying his type.

He is very confrontational.

He also has a hard time forgiving past grievances, even to the point of planning revenge and waiting for years, if need be, to carry it out. He is currently plotting revenge on someone who back stabbed our teacher. I keep telling him that is not The Way, not the higher road. He knows this, but he still has issues forgiving. If not for our teacher's intervention, he and another student would have fought to the death. He has strong violent tendencies. As a teen he'd get into bars and start fights, just to try out some new technique he'd worked up. He is always trying to perfect his techniques. He trains with precision and often uses live blades.

He says I make him want to "be good."

I think I should've mentioned these qualities earlier.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION] I know this is in the MBTI section, but I'm going to say this anyway: I think your Enneagram guesses are spot on, and in my opinion that's more than enough to go on. The 8 component explains the intuition amidst all of the...rawr.

For the record, totally drooled over your description of this guy. So ashamed of myself, but I did. :D

avaxtskyr

MBTI Type
ISFP
I'm going to agree with ESFP, due to grudge holding.

This:

For example, yesterday he had a "feeling" that he should call me at the same time that I had a "feeling" I should call him.

Super cute.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION] I know this is in the MBTI section, but I'm going to say this anyway: I think your Enneagram guesses are spot on, and in my opinion that's more than enough to go on. The 8 component explains the intuition amidst all of the...rawr.

For the record, totally drooled over your description of this guy. So ashamed of myself, but I did. :D

[MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION] I always enjoy hearing your input. Thanks. The more I think on it the more I'm convinced of the 8. I'm a 9w8, which would totally explain our "gut" connection. The day that we were both trying to call each other at the same time, I told him, "It's intuition. You know that's our connection, right?"

"Oh, honey," he said [he calls all women honey. It's a southern thing.] "Intuition is everything."

About the drooling, it's okay. He gets drooled over all of the time, hence the long list of ex-lovers:) I kind of catch myself staring at him from time to time. I have never pried into his personal relationships, but I'm sure that it has something to do with them wanting him to "settle" down and him not being able to stay in one place for too long.