User Tag List

Default Depression, in the grip, or what?

I've been feeling just so lossey about life lately. It's become so bad that yesterday I drank some nyquil straight out of the bottle in the middle of the day to try to forget my problems (& I'm not sick with a cold or anything), & I scratched my arms with my nails & hit my legs with my fists (one leg is still sore today). I don't have a therapist atm & talking about this extensively with my family doesn't seem like something I can manage. Maybe I should take to writing at one of the psych forums instead? I know the hitting & scratching thing is a form of self-harm, & it's something I've been doing on & off since I was around 7 years old. I've never cut, but I really fear that I may get to that point. I was wondering if any of you have ever been in my position & could offer up some advice? I hope I'm not sounding like a complete train wreck. & to throw in something mbti related, when a person falls into unhealthy behavior, are they acting out their inferior function or shadow functions? Also, can a person with a possible mental diagnosis be accurately typed with the mbti or enneagram?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Yes, it sounds like you have depression and should see a therapist.

No, this does not mean you can't be accurately typed.
    You have your own personality, just like any other human being.
    4w5 so/sp - 5w4 so/sx - 9w1 sp/so
    Fi > Ne > Ni > Fe > Si > Ti > Se > Te
    Melancholic/Phlegmatic/Supine
    Likes gromit liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

This sounds like depression to me; I have depression as well. You don't have to talk to your family about it unless you want to/feel ready to. I would look into contacting a therapist; it really helps to have people who listen to you and give you advice.

You can still be typed with MBTI/enneagram/etc even if you have a mental illness, although it does make it a little more difficult. For example, in this thread @DisneyGeek assisted me in figuring out/confirming my type despite my depression. (This was actually just a few weeks ago, too). Don't know if it will help you, but I thought it was worth mentioning just in case it does somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    This sounds like depression to me; I have depression as well. You don't have to talk to your family about it unless you want to/feel ready to. I would look into contacting a therapist; it really helps to have people who listen to you and give you advice.

You can still be typed with MBTI/enneagram/etc even if you have a mental illness, although it does make it a little more difficult. For example, in this thread @DisneyGeek assisted me in figuring out/confirming my type despite my depression. (This was actually just a few weeks ago, too). Don't know if it will help you, but I thought it was worth mentioning just in case it does somehow.
    Thank you. Yeah, it's hard to separate myself from it. I read through the link you posted. It was helpful, at least.

I feel like it's mostly frustration actually. I can't take my ESTJ grandma that I live with. She gives me a hard time over EVERY SINGLE THING. I'm just loosing my mind!!!! Ahhhh!

I'm sorry you are going through this, and I agree, it sounds like you might be a bit depressed, or at least could use some help sorting through your feelings and thoughts about things.

Are you a kid/teenager or an adult?

If you're still under your parents' care, I'd talk to them about finding a therapist or a counselor or someone you can talk to. It's tough when you are at the mercy of adults to get what you need, though. Your school might have someone too, a guidance counselor or something like that.

If you're an adult, do you have a primary care doctor? S/he might be able to give you some advice on someone to talk to or maybe even some support groups or other useful resources. If you are in college, there is often a student health center on campus, which usually includes mental/emotional health.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I'm sorry you are going through this, and I agree, it sounds like you might be a bit depressed, or at least could use some help sorting through your feelings and thoughts about things.

Are you a kid/teenager or an adult?

If you're still under your parents' care, I'd talk to them about finding a therapist or a counselor or someone you can talk to. It's tough when you are at the mercy of adults to get what you need, though. Your school might have someone too, a guidance counselor or something like that.

If you're an adult, do you have a primary care doctor? S/he might be able to give you some advice on someone to talk to or maybe even some support groups or other useful resources. If you are in college, there is often a student health center on campus, which usually includes mental/emotional health.
    I'm 19, & I'll actually be 20 in less than a month. I'm not in college atm. I'll be going back in the fall, though. I was seeing a school counselor at the health center at my college, & she meanted bipolar, but she wasn't sure. I've muddled over the thought that maybe I have mixed mania, because I just feel so irritable & agitated. I live with my grandparents, & they're driving me up a wall. They argue over the stupidest things with each other too, & I'm just losing it.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

I'm glad my link was somewhat useful to you. I'm around your age (20) and a recent (junior) college graduate, and I live with my dad and sister, who also can drive me up the wall sometimes with their arguments, so I can kind of relate. When you go back in the fall I would definitely recommend seeing a school counselor. Even if all you do is talk to them once a week, just being able to vent and tell someone else what's been bothering you really is helpful. It sounds kind of cliche, but I've found that having people to talk to and having them listen to me takes half the stress away.