User Tag List

View Poll Results: How long have you been studying MBTI?

40. You may not vote on this poll
  • <6 months

6 15.00%
  • 6 months - 1 year

6 15.00%
  • 1 - 2 years

7 17.50%
  • 2 years or more

21 52.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long have you been studying/interested in MBTI or Personality Theory?

Senior Member Array

Not very long. I had to take a test at college once, and didn't pay much attention to it for a long time. Then I came to a point where I needed to understand how to interact with certain people more efficiently.

Hence, why I'm here now.

a week or two before my join date. i'd heard of it before then but wasn't too interested.

This might not work

'The snapshot of your selections made on 25 Nov 07 at 05.22 has now been loaded.'

socionics results.

I'll have to do that one again.

I last did it on the 24th of April and got INTx.

I StumbledUpon the socionics test.

So where the esfps at?

Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

veteran attention whore Array Jeffster's Avatar
    7w6 sx
    SEE Fi

In terms of actually being interested in applying it in any useful way, then it was around the beginning of June. I had heard of it, even taken a couple of tests, first time I was still a teenager, my mom got the book "Please Understand Me" and tested me and my brothers all at the same time. Then I remember I took an online test, somewhere around 2003 or so, and i printed it out and made 3 of my co-workers/friends take it, but of course I did it all wrong because I had 2 of them take the test together so they influenced each other's answers and stuff. And that was probably about it until a couple months ago, and I'm still not sure what got me into it, the only thing I've been able to come up with is it might have come from a "what Ninja turtle are you?" test that linked me to something about mbti or personality tests. I can't remember for sure.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

I'm not really studying it anymore, and I have been aware of it for a long time.

I did some intensive study, a little over a year ago.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by dnivera View Post
    Basically, I'm just wondering how long it took everyone to get to a level of mastery of MB type theory - to get to a point where you can type people after knowing them for just a short time, and to be able to phototype people. (I'm still pretty bad at this, and I've been studying MBTI for 5 years now.) I think it's because my social circles aren't big enough. With more time, I'll meet more types and understand more people.
    While some of my best friends think they can type people quickly, I find it really hard to do unless I actually work with them on something and see firsthand how their minds work. All you have to do is go out to - Home and take a look at how much type experts differ on Obama's type to get a flavor for how hard it is! (The poll had some filters so you had to have a handle on type theory to participate).

On the other hand, if someone WANTS me to help figure out their type, give me 10 minutes and we'll have it unless they also need psychiatric help. And, if I'm just trying to communicate better and change my style to meet theirs, I'm probably close enough on the code if we've interacted a few times.

How long did it take to get there...right after I was introduced to type I got asked to edit a book with a type expert so I had to learn really quick. Probably a year.