User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Teaching styles

I believe kids need freedom, not structure. I swear I give every parent who yells at their kid in public the death stare/stink eye. I don't believe in controlling kids. The only thing that bothers me really is when kids bully each other. Even running around, I think, is good for kids. They need exercise. It's good for their health.

I guess I just need some life advice. Am I getting too ahead of myself?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DreamBeliever View Post
    Totally agree with you, & thanks for the tips!
    If you want to read something both inspiring and sad at the same time, read up on education in Finland. No standardized testing, and students near the top of most international measures of ability.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes yama, DreamBeliever liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If you want to read something both inspiring and sad at the same time, read up on education in Finland. No standardized testing, and students near the top of most international measures of ability.
    I heard about that. My Developmental psych teacher was telling us about their education system.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    Sorry I kind of went on a rant about AZ's crappy education system, lol. I'm just so frustrated that this state literally places absolutely 0 value on anything non-math and non-science. So many teachers here teach for the tests and don't motivate or interest kids at all!! It's so sad!! So many people hate school and hate learning here because they aren't being shown how fun education can really be when a subject interests you!
    I do agree that getting rid of subjects like art and music is misguided. Most school districts, though, don't give enough attention to especially science, and more advanced math, despite all the current hype. Or perhaps it is just the wrong kind of attention - very political and flashy, but without the substance necessary to support real learning. You can in fact teach any subject through science, so it is hard to imagine too much time spent on it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes yama liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

I do agree that getting rid of subjects like art and music is misguided. Most school districts, though, don't give enough attention to especially science, and more advanced math, despite all the current hype. Or perhaps it is just the wrong kind of attention - very political and flashy, but without the substance necessary to support real learning. You can in fact teach any subject through science, so it is hard to imagine too much time spent on it.
    To be honest 80% of science classes here are just a review of the scientific method that everyone learned in 1st grade... and maybe a little extra. My college science classes were so fun. I wish high schools around here offered high school level classes like astronomy. That was one of the most intriguing classes I ever took.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

To be honest 80% of science classes here are just a review of the scientific method that everyone learned in 1st grade... and maybe a little extra. My college science classes were so fun. I wish high schools around here offered high school level classes like astronomy. That was one of the most intriguing classes I ever took.
    How were you taught scientific method in first grade? I routinely encounter middle schoolers who don't know it, or who at least cannot apply it to an actual investigation.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

How were you taught scientific method in first grade? I routinely encounter middle schoolers who don't know it, or who at least cannot apply it to an actual investigation.
    We get the steps/process burned into our brains. This:
    1. Ask a question
    2. Research it
    3. Make a hypothesis
    4. Test it/experiment
    5. Form conclusion
    6. Communicate results

Then we'd do "easy experiments" like testing if a goldfish is more active (measured by fin wiggles per minute) in x oz of water vs. x oz of water. Little experiments with results that are obvious from the get go, just to get you used to practicing the method.
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

We get the steps/process burned into our brains. This:
    1. Ask a question
    2. Research it
    3. Make a hypothesis
    4. Test it/experiment
    5. Form conclusion
    6. Communicate results

Then we'd do "easy experiments" like testing if a goldfish is more active (measured by fin wiggles per minute) in x oz of water vs. x oz of water. Little experiments with results that are obvious from the get go, just to get you used to practicing the method.
    Did you continue to use this method throughout your schooling, or was it mostly a feature of first grade, and you moved on to other things afterwards?

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

Did you continue to use this method throughout your schooling, or was it mostly a feature of first grade, and you moved on to other things afterwards?
    Every grade after that, 50% of the class was just a review of this method that had already been burned into our brains long ago. And yeah, after that we basically just moved on to whatever the curriculum forced us to cover.

It wasn't as bad in high school. But it sucked in the earlier grades.
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description