• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best way to get good at MBTI quickly

slonzor

MBTI Type
INTP
Okay, so I'm fairly new to MBTI. I've read Please Understand Me II, which seems to be pretty contraversial in these parts, and also the Tiegers' The Art Of Speed Reading People. I've also been snooping around a lot of internet resources and such. Point is, I have a fairly good grounding now in that i get the basics of preferences, cognitive functions and the like.

So the question is, what now? How do i get to the point at which i feel confident enough typing people that i can confidently act on it and adapt my behavour to their type?

As i see it there are 3 ways: Observing lots of people and putting the basic knowledge i have into lots of practice (which has the disadvantage that i could go way off), reading lots more theory (which has the disadvangage of being fairly inconsitent and controversial it seems) or reading lots of profiles of people, guessing their type and then seeing what other people have said.

How did you guys get into personality typing in a big way? I'm prepared to put in a lot of effort, but I don't want to waste time reading stuff that's not gonna help or practicing an incorrect skill to incorrect perfection. I read the thread on the seemingly pretty controversial way in which keirsey divides the types up into quadrants. Where else is good to go to find out about other ways of splitting it up, for example.

In short, what sort of resources (or specifics even better) are good for getting very pro at personality typing very quickly, and what sort of things do i want to avoid.

Cheers guys:)

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Woah.

If you put 'quickly' into the title, it kind of adds that atmosphere to the first post, too.

I just had like a mini panic attack.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It would be easier to answer this if there were an objective idea of being "good" at the MBTI. Since you read the topic about Keirsey's groupings, you have clearly seen that there isn't on idea of what is correct.

the MBTI community is stricken by a lack of information flow, and ever more by a lack of standardization. You probably recognize me as the loudest guy smack-talking Keirsey. :laugh:
My advice on how to better understand the MBTI would be to read a lot about the Cognitive Processes. I think there would be a lot more understanding around here if people learned about that stuff before diving into the rest of the MBTI. So look up everything you can about those online

Also, look at this and scroll way down to the part with pictures. Tracking, Vol. I, Chapter 1
It's halfway betweem singularly addressing the processes and describing it in terms of type. It's also a pretty good start because of it's layman's qualities.
Still, look up tons of other crap.

If you are honestly really interested, I can directly help you out with some stuff.

T

ThatGirl

Well I just pull out the book and tell people "type yourself then tell me what you are." I have started to associate patterns.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
"...draws our attention to immediate sensory phenomena. ... It prompts an interest in perception itself--the process of recognizing and interpreting what we take in."