• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP's (or Perceivers) Who Like Schedules?

Evastover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hiya!

I've noticed I'm much happier and more efficient when I keep a schedule/routine. This is not something any of my close family members do, so it was a habit I had to cultivate myself rather than having it introduced to me early on. I have multiple to-do lists for different time periods, alarms on my phone to remind me of events ahead of time, and a calendar beside my bed to keep track of everything I have to do each month.

I was wondering if any other INFP's (or perceivers) do this/prefer this? I'm certain I'm an INFP and not a "J" (based on the reasoning that I heavily use Fi- almost everything I do is based on what I believe to be a universal set of values- and that the other top three functions fit me well enough).

To reiterate my point once again, are there any perceivers or INFP's who like to consciously keep schedules?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I got one of my ENFP friends to use a couple organizing apps, Sunrise calender in particular. I knew this would work for her because a) she's chronically on her phone and b) it interfaces with Facebook and Google calender and other stuff plus it's bright and shiny. So far so good and she seems happier that she has a place to put important reminders. Her kids made it to the dentist on time and on the right day so, that alone is a vast improvement.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My ex-boyfriend is an ENFP, and he cannot function without a schedule. In his case, I think it's a habit borne out of necessity. I don't think he'd remember anything if his phone didn't provide him with regular reminders.

And he absolutely loves those countdown apps.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
To reiterate my point once again, are there any perceivers or INFP's who like to consciously keep schedules?

There's a difference between liking and needing a schedule! :laugh:

No, I don't consciously like keeping a schedule, not one little bit. Ever. I do because I have to - I run a business and raised a family. It is a constant battle against my natural tendencies.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I use some organizational methods because I dont know what day it is or where I am going otherwise. I have a bad memory and will commit to two things at the same time.

As much as I joke about being lazy, Im very busy and Id never manage it all without some semblance of a schedule. I have a terrible sense of time too, so its similar to needing a clock at hand to know time is passing. Im bad at figuring out the logistics of doing stuff and may procrastinate instead, so I must keep the goals in front of me or I slip into daydream for MONTHS.

I am not scheduled in that I have a daily routine, but I end up with enough commitments that I have to puzzle piece them together throughout the week to accomplish it all. I have a calendar on my ipad where I note how many hours I plan to volunteer on what days and then what days I will work for money and where (Im a freelancer), and for some odd reason I note my expected income there as well. Thats probably because I try and see if I can squeeze in more time off if I make enough on one job. I prefer an app I can handwrite in because it's faster to me. I dont put times, just a brief note of what my commitment is.

I dont do to-do lists much. Once Im where Im supposed to be, then I know what to do. Most stuff I do allows me my strength of being creative and improvising as I go, because I dont like linear tasks. I tend to have a "purpose" on a job more than specific landmark goals.

My living space is a disorganized mess because of this, as I have too many distractions at home and have trouble focusing on things like folding laundry or doing dishes. Its not engaging to me, so I drift off easily. I have trouble with a concrete goal as opposed to a "purpose" too.

Basically, I need loose structure to motivate me and deadlines to finish. Too much structure tends to result in me disappearing. I will start to find ways not to participate.... Too little means I fritter time away in my head or on the internet.

Once I schedule in my commitments, then that actually gives me more flexibility because I know it will be done then and I can do whatever else I like at other times. And my commitments often change from week to week, which suits my preference for variety.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I often face the classic Archie dilemma: I commit to dating two pretty ladies on the same night! Except in my case, replace Betty and Veronica with fantasy baseball drafts and writing book reviews.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm forgetful, and possibly undateable. So without some way to record my commitments, I would be hopeless. While I don't ENJOY the schedule, I do enjoy what it helps me accomplish.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i am not quite at that level of functional adulthood yet. however, i am much better than my ISTP at planning, scheduling, anything having to do with time as a concept. i attribute it to baby Si.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
i am not quite at that level of functional adulthood yet. however, i am much better than my ISTP at planning, scheduling, anything having to do with time as a concept. i attribute it to baby Si.

Now I'm imagining a little baby sitting at a desk and taking your calls and booking your appointments for you. A Si-cretary, if you will.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't over-commit (I blame the e5-ishness... I'm more likely to avoid commitments, when possible), but have a routine is a plus. Actually scheduling I find unpleasant, especially since lots of it involves unproductive meetings at work. I also find it difficult to plan vacations, since they are rarely urgent.

Conversely, I do like having deadlines at work, since that forces me to get moving and to do the practical (rather than the unrealistically perfect and time-consuming).

KitchenFly

I am a INFP and I like to use methods of writing thing down and keeping a good record if it is for work because I am not good at Si memory and Se organisational practices.

I do it because it helps keep stress down and proficiency close to the average of good practise and enables me to work correctly like proficient workers, it's a no brainer, but as a kid I had no interest in such things and struggled under stress doing organisational things that needed time and resource and energy management.

I was able to do many things and get projects done but only under my own energised esteem if it was something I really wanted to do and then even the smallest details were worked out and worked though and problem solving was existing and a challenge welcomed but this was all lead by my gut as a visceral lead action.

These days I am more well rounded I do what I can and utilise strategies if needed but I tend to know what I do week to week mouth to mouth year to year and cruse a long, seldom do I forget a have to do thing because something within me values things I am obliged to do or remember and I do it, but if I think it is something I am unlikely to be able to do then I tell the person or worn the person that I have a pore memory in advance or mention that I am not the best person to chose for that role.

But if it is something practical that I can do then I focus much energy into doing it correctly via my visceral ability and utilise my Si and Se to do the best I can via my Ti un-common common sense. I can get judgmental of others who do not exercise the same level of intense practical energy. To get have to do things done but I tend to let it slide these days and recognise that not all people can or will value action within activities as I do when responsibility for effort is involved. That is very much my ESTJ auxiliary wing and my ENFJ subsidiary wings at work. My core INFP and subsidiary wing ESFP are less intense and more focused on the value of what to do and the how to do within the objective. My shadow wing INFJ is more focused on the team and working within the team and the politics of the team harmony and this balance seems to enable me to work with all types of people from ruff nuts on construction sights to pedantic types within a hospital work environment.

Balance is the key balancing the parts of personality and having a realistic understanding of strengths and weaknesses and strategies to manage work processes and activities like lists and reminder notes.

9w1 INFP Sx/Sp 1221

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
I think everyone is happier with a schedule regardless of type tbh.

starryeyed

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On one half I think schedules are very effective....when I actually put effort into doing what I need to do & seeing it through until the end. It's not that I don't like schedules it's just I may not feel like following it on a certain day & because of that, I might start feeling like I have no flexibility ...

Every time I've attempted to keep a schedule, I failed miserably and ended up throwing it out so I just stopped/avoid schedules..

big sexy

MBTI Type
INfP
Keeping to a schedule would probably be good for me, but for the life of me I can't bring myself to stick to them or to-do lists. It's difficult not to go off track very quickly. They're too limiting.