• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroverts, do you ever get tired after social interaction?

Do you?

• Total voters

baccheion

I'm not talking about physical exhaustion as you would experience after exercise or sports, but mental exhaustion, or physical weakness due to being extroverted out. When has this happened, how often does this happen, what causes it?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get energy boost after certain types of social interaction, like parties with interesting people where I don't feel trapped. Most other types drain me, like heavily directed situations, gatherings with a strong agenda, with people who aren't on a similar wavelength, or dance parties and such when I'm not in the mood.

The effect is that I just want to go home and sit in my bed and watch a TV show I've seen before a million times.

Cygnus

"Social interaction??" Everyone I know hates my guts too much to talk to me for prolonged periods of time.

star tripper

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Really depends on with whom I'm interacting. If the person I'm hanging out with is interesting or is down to do interesting things with me, I never get tired. Otherwise, like every normal human being, I do get tired.

á´…eparted

passages
It depends. If I like and know the majority I am with I seldom tire from it. If I don't then I will as it takes effort to wear a mask constantly.

Harizu

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
TBH, it has never happened to me.
But actually, social interaction doesn't really energize me, either (unless I'm at a party with a lot of people; in that case I come back home full of energy).

00c

Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is funny.

Are introverts able to be stranded on an island without any human interaction for the rest of their lives?

violett

No, face to face interaction energizes me, unless the person is completely boring and has nothing interesting to say.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My ENFJ does. Small groups of people he enjoys seems to be better but he is as bad as me when it comes to grating social and work stuff we have to participate in.

violett

Have you ever heard of working a room? It's when I am in "my element". Social functions, like weddings or funerals (where I know all the people present and can take time to talk with each one) make me sublimely happy.

Last edited:

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I've been out all day, I at least want some down time when I get home. It doesn't matter if I got along with the people or not. But if I'm in a crowded room with people who are annoying and touchy feely and I can't get away for a single minute, I feel like I'm going to die and will probably be irritable and weird for a while after that.

One exception would be if whatever social event was super eventful and exciting, then I'll be hyped up after but that's kind of 50/50.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've felt physically exhausted but I'm not sure if I've experienced the exhaustion you describe.

BluRoses

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I've felt physically and mentally exhausted after spending long periods of time in social situations where I don't know people well. I really like to be around my close friends and can hang out with them for a really long period of time, but I don't really enjoy being in a room of strangers in any situation. Well, I amend that a bit. When the room full of strangers and I are sharing an experience that we are enjoying like going to a music concert it can be fun and energizing. However, even in that situation I need some alone time afterwards to gather my thoughts.

Surprisingly, I am an ENFJ and score high on the "E." and profiles always seem to make my type out to need to be around a bunch of people all of the time. I am much more comfortable with small groups of those I know and like. Maybe it's because I was an only child? :huh:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
This is funny.

Are introverts able to be stranded on an island without any human interaction for the rest of their lives?

Ugh. This is why I absolutely DESPISE it when people claim the definitions of "extrovert" and "introvert" are "energized by social interactions" and "drained by social interactions/energized by being alone" respectively. No. Literally every human on the planet requires social interaction unless they have something like Schizoid Personality Disorder. Anyone can be "drained" by human interaction if it is the wrong kind (ex: dealing with disgruntled customers) or if it's excessive.

I think a far more useful way of distinguishing extrovert vs. introvert is in examining energy levels.

But I suppose this is really a topic for another thread, eh?