User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    is it hypocritical if you don't play dumb but people assume you are, and you've just stopped arguing cuz it's too much fucking effort and they're not gonna change, and you don't care about them because of some reason?
    No, that wouldn't be hypocritical; like you said, you wouldn't actually be pretending to be dumb. People would just assume you're dumb, when in reality it's just called not giving a crap about the conversation.

But valuing honesty in others while deliberately being dishonest with them? That is hypocritical.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

@black, my understanding of selective inattention (aka, playing dumb) is it's a form of control and manipulation; however, I don't think that's always the case.

Are you afraid of the pain of loss? Do you feel any guilt after you do it?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    So you're a "seeker of truth", but you intentionally deceive others by playing dumb and pretending not to understand them, in order to avoid conflict?

I just... wow. The hypocrisy is strong with this one.
    I'm usually myself with what I do... to a certain extent that doesn't cause me too much hassle. Having unusual hobbies and having a different thought can cause people to misunderstand me often and I don't have the time and the energy to explain every fucking one how and why my mind works that way and that I don't hate them. Most of the time it's easier to go with the silent way which isn't even lying. To lie is to say something that is not true, but what I do is omitting details. That isn't lying... I could manipulate if I wanted. I could fake so many things that my life would be a lot easier but I refuse to. Perhaps I prefer so much sticking to my T that I refuse to acknowledge my F skills. Or maybe this is not F-relate but N-related.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love
    @black, my understanding of selective inattention (aka, playing dumb) is it's a form of control and manipulation; however, I don't think that's always the case.

Are you afraid of the pain of loss? Do you feel any guilt after you do it?
    Not afraid of pain and not even guilty after it. It's just that I was usually underestimated when I was younger and later on learnt that when someone underestimates you, they let their guard down and it's easier for me to take control. Now that I think about it, I can see why I do this: it gives me more control on a given situation. Not letting out too much, not showing all the cards, it gives me more potential control while still not really lying. I don't like lying meant as telling straight out lies and when necessary, I prefer to hold onto information. I still can tell totally believeable big lies, like very convincing bluffs, but I don't like doing it.

But now I'm more curious about the functions that are at play here: is it a mix of Ni and Fe? I thought I really had a very repressed Fe and I always score INTx. I also noticed that I can camouflage as some other type (ISTJ, INTJ, INTP, ISTP, ENTP, ENTJ, INFP, INFJ) and this caused me some confusion back then, since I could somehow fit any type with some little modification in thought, but I'll elaborate this in another topic (if a chameleon MBTI type exists, lol).

Not an INTJ.

INFP 9

MBTI
    INTJ

Now that I think about it, would this go under the "ignore people's feelings" ?

Before I thought that "Ignoring people's feelings" was referred to the fact of not being aware of their feelings, but it could also be interpreted as "I understand your feelings but they are irrelevant here, so I purposefully ignore them". Is this the right interpretation? If so, then it makes sense to me.

I'm a seeker of truth and connect dots quickly. If I were to understand their meaning in a convo, but chose to stay in the same mental spot, not moving on, I'd be wasting my time. Do you enjoy wasting your time? I sure don't.
    The future is for the unafraid.

MBTI
    STP

Smells more like an INTJ, I dont see an INTP caring so much about a "lie" or beating around the bush. an INTP is more about categorizing and typing this person is beating around the bush and drawing inferences and following it and seeing where it goes. Finding the truth of the person...AKA...who the person is. By pulling out a lie you actually disturb the truth to a degree. I will do this when I am upset sometimes, pull out the truth because the person doesnt like the truth. This actually puts rifts and distrubances in reality and changes things. But I have analyzed who they are without disturbance that I know the real truth. I have seen alot of times where someone tries to dig and the other person just goes along because they really dont want to deal with it. I have also seen someone steer someone elses vision with their version of the truth and you both end up in left field because you have thoroughly confused the other person on a sub conscious level.

Just my 2 cents based on what I have seen in real life. I am also a people watcher, I dont call them out very much though unless I have a reason to. Most of the time I just learn who they are lies and beating around the bush and all. I frequently scare people because I may start to play with "who they are" for fun.

I tend to use truth to bring about lies by letting the lie go. Alot of times they crumble on themselves if you allow the false truth, direction, etc. to be put into action.
    Im out, its been fun

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

I actually see what you mean here, I do the same in some instances for example when I can tell someone wants to say something and I don't care about it so I purposely don't bring it up despite picking up on the cues, if they want to say something they should just do it, or when someone clearly is finding it difficult to mention something so I pretend to be clueless cos it might mean they're not sure if they want me to know yet, yet again if you're not going to bring it up yourself I won't do it for you although in a circumstance like that I usually leave chances for the person to say what they want.

I can read some cues like that quite well, I just pick and choose when to follow them and hide behind the fact that the person never explicitly brought it up. (Literally one of my biggest go to excuses for when people get pissed off at me.) But yeah most of the time when I do this it's either because I just don't care or I don't want to get involved in something I haven't been invited into, even though sometimes I know I technically have permission to get involved.

I say the first part is generally being avoidant, can't speak about this morbid extracting truth from others thing though. Ni + suppressed Fe like you said could contribute to your behaviour but idk.

And I agree that sometimes it's just 'better'. E.g. One of my ENFP friends managed to beat out the 'I didn't care' out of me after I played the dumb card for a while in a situation. Though I mostly told her I didn't care to shut her up cos I knew that's what she was looking for. At the end of the day she ignored me for a while after that.
    And that's why I'd rather play dumb in some instances, it's better than either pretending to care (at least for me) or just being like 'I don't care.' since that obvs pisses the person off. It's like trying to find that balance between being true to yourself and not offending the other person. It's not exactly honest, but it's not completely dishonest, it's not what's best for the other person but it's not directly harming them either.

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Not afraid of pain and not even guilty after it. It's just that I was usually underestimated when I was younger and later on learnt that when someone underestimates you, they let their guard down and it's easier for me to take control. Now that I think about it, I can see why I do this: it gives me more control on a given situation. Not letting out too much, not showing all the cards, it gives me more potential control while still not really lying. I don't like lying meant as telling straight out lies and when necessary, I prefer to hold onto information. I still can tell totally believeable big lies, like very convincing bluffs, but I don't like doing it.

But now I'm more curious about the functions that are at play here: is it a mix of Ni and Fe? I thought I really had a very repressed Fe and I always score INTx. I also noticed that I can camouflage as some other type (ISTJ, INTJ, INTP, ISTP, ENTP, ENTJ, INFP, INFJ) and this caused me some confusion back then, since I could somehow fit any type with some little modification in thought, but I'll elaborate this in another topic (if a chameleon MBTI type exists, lol).
    Very interesting. Thanks for answering my questions. I'm prepared to tell you my interpretation, but it might not be pleasant to hear. Do you want to hear it? If you prefer, I can PM it to you. Let me know.

friendly and accessible boomslang's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

On behalf of all 8s, we hate you so, so much for doing this.