User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Are INTJs the most self-aware type?

I was recently doing some research for a project and discovered that there are almost twice as many web searches for "INTJ" than for any other type. It didn't come as a total surprise since INTJs are often described as being interested in self-improvement, but I still found it fascinating how much more information is being sought about this type versus any other type.

The least searched types were ESTP and ISFP, which sounds about right--by all accounts these types aren't prone to sit around thinking about personality theory for very long.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by mollyowens; 08-13-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    ENTP, professional MBTI coach, and author of a new series of personality type e-books available on Amazon.com.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by mollyowens View Post
    I was recently doing some research for a project and discovered that there are almost twice as many web searches for "INTJ" than for any other type. It didn't come as a total surprise since INTJs are often described as being interested in self-improvement, but I still found it fascinating how much more information is being sought about this type versus any other type.

The least searched types were ESTP and ISFP, which sounds about right--by all accounts these types aren't prone to sit around thinking about personality theory for very long.

Thoughts?
    That makes sense based on what I would guess intuitively... I'd bet I's and N's would be the most likely to introspect and make self-improvement into a project and E's and S's would be the least likely. What about INTPs? I bet they would be high up along with the INTJs in terms of interest in personality and self-analysis.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by mollyowens View Post

Thoughts?
    Not quite sure what you mean by "self-aware". I would've thought the number of searches for INTJ indicates they are more confused about who they are or why they are the way they are. Although it could equally point to the fact that other types are confused about who INTJs are or why they are the way they are.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Self-concerned and self-aware are two different things. INTJs may be more prone to wondering about themselves, but that doesn't mean they are accurate in knowing themselves, whic means that aren't really "aware" of their true selves.

Anyhow, if you're just basing it on search results, then I'm going to say that a lot of it actually comes from other types being confused and frustrated with INTJs, and as such, looking for answers about them.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean by "self-aware". I would've thought the number of searches for INTJ indicates they are more confused about who they are or why they are the way they are. Although it could equally point to the fact that other types are confused about who INTJs are or why they are the way they are.
    Excellent points.

Um, I would think that those with dominant Fi functions would be the most prone or likely to be self-aware.

I think, relatively speaking, that I am an incredibly self-aware person, and I think that my self-awareness is intricately tied to my emotional intelligence, and that my emotional intelligence is a by-product of my strongly felt and experienced Fi.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

By my definition of self-aware, I'd lay my money down that INFPs are the most self-aware. I've also heard that they were the types most likely to look into personality type, but I dont' know if that's true.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFJ

INFPs are self aware, but that doesn't account for their disconnect with reality...

From what I've noticed is that INTJs are the most likely to have a good idea of what they want from life but be confused about who they are... which means a lot of searching the internet in their free time, considering they're introverts.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

INTJs are the most self-aware. So much so that, as I've mentioned before, the guy that administered the test actually asked me which of the short descriptions matched me the best. Of course, I chose correctly. Apparently only INTJs consistently do that.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

CP way of analysis:
    Ni dominant = aware of possibilities mixed with closure-driven xNxJ factor.
    Te = Impersonal and regimented.
    Fi = able to get a sense of values.

Letter analysis:
    I = more likely to be self-aware than an E
    N = looks toward long-term rather than here and now
    T = impersonal
    J = closure driven.

A healthy INTJ knows themselves extraordinarily well. A healthy INTJ needs an absurdly accurate understanding of what they're dealing with currently so that they can build upon it for the future and be competent. They're long-term thinkers, they're aware of possibilities, and they're constantly improving everything.

INTJs have an inner world rich with endless possibilities that, when combined with their Thinking-Judging preferences, gives them a drive toward constant improvement of everything. Indeed, these are the "better idea" people of the typological world. Everything--words, plans, designs, ideas, even people--has room for improvement. In the INTJ's eyes, even the best can be made better.
    Murraystate INTJ description

We need to know where things stand so that we can have any sort of feelings of self-worth by improving ourselves. When I'm not improving myself I get depressed.

I haven't examined the other types, but I can't imagine a (healthy version) of a type more concerned with an accurate analysis of where they are at present. (NTs: "if it ain't broken, let's tear it apart and make it better!") NFs are very self-aware but they're not as comfortable with the conflict that is necessary. (As a whole. Clearly there will be overlap but I think INTJs take the cake on self-awareness.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

I'm an INTJ and I've been described by people close to me (yeah, I'm still INTJ!) as the least self-aware person they know.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari