• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type most likely to be a grammar nazi

Mole

Permabanned
In Britain social class is indicated by accent. But in the colonies, like the USA and Oz, social class is indicated by grammar.

This is because Britain still retains its old social structure based on the spoken word, while the New World of the USA and Oz are more based on print and universal literacy.

Of course Oz came off the British tree at least 200 years later than the USA, so Oz is still attuned to British accents, while the USA is now deaf to British accents.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know... I have been to the United Kingdom, and I met more than a few Brits who had terrible grammar. I actually heard someone say, "They is well bad, innit?" :huh:

Mole

Permabanned
I don't know... I have been to the United Kingdom, and I met more than a few Brits who had terrible grammar. I actually heard someone say, "They is well bad, innit?" :huh:

Sure, grammar is a function of literacy and literacy is a function of the eye.

On the other hand social accent is a function of the spoken culture and is a function of the ear.

So highly literate societies like the USA are deaf to the social permutations and combinations of accent, but are more at home with written grammar.

So the dominant sense in the USA is the eye, while Britain and Oz still retain a spoken culture based on the ear.

This goes some way to explaining why Americans are deaf to our sense of humour. It is not that they are deaf just to our sense of humour, they are deaf to the nuances of the spoken word.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am a grammar Nazi by my own admission. I always use proper grammar in my text messages, and although I try not to correct other people's grammar, I die a little on the inside every time.

Poor grammar, in my opinion, tends to make a person look either uneducated or just plain lazy.

i think just writing something that the other person can understand and not paying too much attention to stuff like '(=people's instead peoples) or capital letters or what ever is like talking to someone casually. writing with a perfect grammar, having all the dots and shits perfectly in the right place like you have ocd and using language as if you were reading dictionary, makes it seem like a job interview or something overly formal like that, its like wearing a suit on your letters. Sure it has its place, but in casual conversation it doesent matter, unless you want to look like you are wearing a suit while writing the text.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I am a grammar Nazi by my own admission. I always use proper grammar in my text messages, and although I try not to correct other people's grammar, I die a little on the inside every time.

Poor grammar, in my opinion, tends to make a person look either uneducated or just plain lazy.

Does seeing the bad grammar make you want to become 'an hero?'

baccheion

I never understood the obsession with grammar. And no matter what, the idiots that are obsessed with it won't let it go. They just keep twisting things around to be able to continue annoying everyone with this garbage. And now it's been verified (as though it wasn't already obvious) that "grammar nazi" is a judger thing, especially extraverted thinkers (Te). This makes it clear to me that the obsession with this garbage will never end, and that if the world were to move past it, they'd simply try to find something else to annoy everyone with.

No matter where I am, there they are again, and the only thing they are ever doing is looking for something stupid they can blindly and incessantly repeat to have everyone be miserable, down, and suffocating. It's always the same. They are obsessed with trying to say everyone's stupid, and that they are the only ones that know what they are doing, and that everyone should do what they say.

It's painful every time they open their mouths, as their voice is usually annoying, it's always an interruption, it's always annoying, it's always at the worst time, it's always pointless, and it's even worse since it's obvious they are not well-intentioned, are trying to be insulting, and were looking for ways to say the person was stupid.

Over the years, I've gone from not seeing what the big deal is (laughing about their obsession with things that don't matter) to having a strong negative association with anything grammar nazi related. As soon as I hear anyone even mention this garbage, I start thinking they are idiots, close-minded, judgmental, rotten, and full of it. And I'm always right.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I never understood the obsession with grammar. And no matter what, the idiots that are obsessed with it won't let it go. They just keep twisting things around to be able to continue annoying everyone with this garbage. And now it's been verified (as though it wasn't already obvious) that "grammar nazi" is a judger thing, especially extraverted thinkers (Te). This makes it clear to me that the obsession with this garbage will never end, and that if the world were to move past it, they'd simply try to find something else to annoy everyone with.

No matter where I am, there they are again, and the only thing they are ever doing is looking for something stupid they can blindly and incessantly repeat to have everyone be miserable, down, and suffocating. It's always the same. They are obsessed with trying to say everyone's stupid, and that they are the only ones that know what they are doing, and that everyone should do what they say.

It's painful every time they open their mouths, as their voice is usually annoying, it's always an interruption, it's always annoying, it's always at the worst time, it's always pointless, and it's even worse since it's obvious they are not well-intentioned, are trying to be insulting, and were looking for ways to say the person was stupid.

Over the years, I've gone from not seeing what the big deal is (laughing about their obsession with things that don't matter) to having a strong negative association with anything grammar nazi related. As soon as I hear anyone even mention this garbage, I start thinking they are idiots, close-minded, judgmental, rotten, and full of it. And I'm always right.

Of course you are.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This goes some way to explaining why Americans are deaf to our sense of humour. It is not that they are deaf just to our sense of humour, they are deaf to the nuances of the spoken word.
That's an awfully broad assumption. I am an American, and I love British humor. (Or should I say "humour"?) In fact, I prefer it over most American comedy. I think P.G. Wodehouse and Douglas Adams are two of the funniest writers in the history of English literature, and although Charles Dickens is usually thought of as a serious author, he had a grand gift for comedy as well. I'm not the only American who thinks so, either. Most of my friends and family love British humor.

Being a denizen of a certain country doesn't automatically preclude one from understanding the culture of another.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=23115]BadOctopus[/MENTION]

I only found Mr Bean really funny. :laugh:

You should also watch Only Fools & Horses.

- - - Updated - - -

Hold on, this is not the British comedy thread is it?

Permabanned
[MENTION=23115]BadOctopus[/MENTION]

I only found Mr Bean really funny. :laugh:

You should also watch Only Fools & Horses.

- - - Updated - - -

Hold on, this is not the British comedy thread is it?

It most certainly is not.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It most certainly is not.
You're right. I apologize for derailing the thread. I was just irked by Mole's baseless generalization of Americans, and in a moment of pettiness, I had to say something. It won't happen again.

To make amends, here's a grammar joke.
mobile-18859-1378229843-4.jpg

93JC

That's an awfully broad assumption. I am an American, and I love British humor. (Or should I say "humour"?)

Yes, you should.

Being a denizen of a certain country doesn't automatically preclude one from understanding the culture of another.

Don't waste your time trying to have a sensible conversation with an ignoramus of his ilk.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Don't waste your time trying to have a sensible conversation with an ignoramus of his ilk.

It kind of hurts my soul because I love things like John Oliver, Flight of the Concords, Chris Lilley, etc.

Mole

Permabanned
The Grammar School and Shakespeare

I never understood the obsession with grammar.

Shakespeare went to a Grammar school and studied the grammar of at least four languages, resulting in the greatest body of literature in the world.

And today, in a gesture of reverse snobbery and self contempt, we impoverish ourselves and each other by rejecting a grammar we don't even understand.

Mole

Permabanned
McLuhan, Tocqueville, and Veliz

I was just irked by Mole's baseless generalization of Americans

Most Americans have the idea because they are enthralled by American popular culture they understand American culture, when American culture is invisible to them.

To understand American culture a good place to start is Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan, Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville, and The New World of the Gothic Fox by Claudio Veliz, a comparative history of the Americas and Oz.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Shakespeare went to a Grammar school and studied the grammar of at least four languages, resulting in the greatest body of literature in the world.

And today, in a gesture of reverse snobbery and self contempt, we impoverish ourselves and each other by rejecting a grammar we don't even understand.
no one is certain if Shakespeare was one person, many people, or a myth, let alone what he studied in high school.

And to be quite honest with you as phenomenal as a Shakespearean tale is in terms of design it comes short in effectiveness since it is only understandable to a select few privileged people who have the time and luxury to fully sit down and understand his works.

Far superior were the oratories of Homer and the writings of Ovid which were a sort of collective medicine for the soul and highly effective in ushering in peace and unity. Plus, Shakespeare simply plagiarized and magnified the themes in Ovid's Metamorphosis slightly bastardizing it by injecting the backwards social feudalism which plagued that region and was responsible for slavery.

Permabanned
You're right. I apologize for derailing the thread. I was just irked by Mole's baseless generalization of Americans, and in a moment of pettiness, I had to say something. It won't happen again.

To make amends, here's a grammar joke.
mobile-18859-1378229843-4.jpg

Mole

Permabanned

I am fortunate to share my sense of humour every day with my fellow Australians. Naturally I have tried to share the Australian sense of humour with Americans, but they just don't get it. And, God help me, I have tried to explain the Australian sense of humour to Americans, but the more I explain the less they get.

A prominent American addressed us at a public meeting in Australia. She started off in the usual American way by telling us we had the 'best sense of humour in the world', but as her speech wore on she started to tell us that our sense of humour was actually destructive of self esteem, and we would do better by following the American example of nurturing self esteem.

So naturally we nurtured her self esteem by giving her a hearty round of applause.

Mole

Permabanned
it is only understandable to a select few privileged people who have the time and luxury to fully sit down and understand his works.

You use the language of Shakespeare everyday without understanding what you do.

And in a form of reverse snobbery you express your ressentiment towards those who love and understand the greatest writer in the English language.

This sounds more like The Lord of the Flies than a Grammar School.