• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type most likely to be a grammar nazi

baccheion

After looking at answers given on OkCupid, the following is how likely each type is to be concerned with grammar, spelling, etc:

Males
Females
INTJ76.85%
ISTJ76.43%
ESTJ76.32%
ENTJ76.12%
INTP74.46%
ENTP73.20%
INFJ71.67%
ENFJ70.34%
ISFJ70.22%
ISTP69.77%
ESTP69.34%
ENFP67.55%
INFP67.54%
ESFP67.10%
ESFJ66.92%
ISFP65.49%
ESTJ88.60%
ISTJ87.78%
ESTP86.71%
INTJ86.44%
ENTJ85.21%
ESFJ84.79%
ISFJ84.76%
ENFJ84.13%
INFJ83.99%
INTP82.61%
ENTP82.12%
ENFP81.13%
INFP81.12%
ESFP79.44%
ISTP78.82%
ISFP77.04%

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am a grammar Nazi by my own admission. I always use proper grammar in my text messages, and although I try not to correct other people's grammar, I die a little on the inside every time.

Poor grammar, in my opinion, tends to make a person look either uneducated or just plain lazy.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Would've thought INTP would be possibly higher, well for females anyways :p I annoy my friends with this a lot although tbh it's more specifically done to annoy the hell out of them than that I care that much, although I always get slightly irked looking at incorrect grammar. But I feel like a hypocrite when I point it out cos I know my grammar's not perfect, especially when speaking.

Find it funny my ESTJ friend actually doesn't give a shit about grammar as long as you know what she means, but could be due to her having English as a second language.

Interesting how some of the differences between males and females are significant, possibly due to sample size of each gender within each type?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i hate capital letters, don't care about punctuation that much, use plenty of acronyms slang etc. but when adults really don't understand the difference between your/you're or there/their/they're it hurts me a little inside.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I feel like it's ok to break the rules as long as you know them. I know grammar isn't everyone's thing, but I do cringe when I see obviously unaware errors all over someone's writing. I only call it out with a few close friends with whom I have an agreement that we'd prefer to be called out on any errors grammatically or otherwise the other person makes.

Also, if you're speaking a second language, all judgment is gone.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
when adults really don't understand the difference between your/you're or there/their/they're it hurts me a little inside.
*pats your shoulder* There, their, they're.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I don't really care, as long as I can understand what the other person is saying.

You have to be an asshole of the first degree to judge people on typos.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm very particular about it in my own writing, but more easygoing about other people's. It's just surprising when someone makes major mistakes in a formal context like a cover letter or a school assignment. But for obvious reasons, they will learn why not do do that without my help.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't really care, as long as I can understand what the other person is saying.

Oh. I judge. Not online so much but in a professional setting, absolutely. You are judged by how you speak and how you write, it makes no difference what the profession is.

ancalagon

MBTI Type
INTP

What you're missing is that failure to adhere to the norms of grammar and spelling can and does cause lack of understanding.

Also, for some people, errors like this (even those that don't cause an actual misunderstanding) jump out and distract you from whatever the meaning was.

IIFF uu dis
agriy
thihn tiry 2 reed ThIsEnTinsnadTILLME;; that, it, ,,
izCLERUR. !&$^? than whit u rot??????!!!!???!???!

Of course, there are some rules that make no sense or are completely arbitrary. There are also some "rules" that are more misunderstandings about grammar than actual grammatical concerns. For example, "Don't end a sentence with a preposition" is often repeated, but is not actually a part of the grammar of English. So it is entirely possible for someone to judge someone else based on an incorrect understanding of what writing correctly actually is.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
What you're missing is that failure to adhere to the norms of grammar and spelling can and does cause lack of understanding.

One assumes unless otherwise indicated that we're referring to a forum environment (or TypoC itself).

There is a big difference between making a spelling mistake and inserting a substitute word, as the latter affects meaning.

You have missed the reality that there are very few examples of text that have bad grammar systemically, what you will instead find is a mistake here and there at random. This would indeed be unacceptable in a professional situation, but it does not matter in informal contexts.

Also, for some people, errors like this (even those that don't cause an actual misunderstanding) jump out and distract you from whatever the meaning was.

Immature Ti doms perhaps.

IIFF uu dis
agriy
thihn tiry 2 reed ThIsEnTinsnadTILLME;; that, it, ,,
izCLERUR. !&$^? than whit u rot??????!!!!???!???!

Now, how often do you come across something like that on the forum?

Of course, there are some rules that make no sense or are completely arbitrary. There are also some "rules" that are more misunderstandings about grammar than actual grammatical concerns. For example, "Don't end a sentence with a preposition" is often repeated, but is not actually a part of the grammar of English. So it is entirely possible for someone to judge someone else based on an incorrect understanding of what writing correctly actually is.

Again: context matters. Many of the rules you have mentioned are style-specific, and typify a particular sort of writing whether it's professional, poetic or whatever. There is more room to manoeuvre on the internet, and this is why universities generally do not suggest taking grammar lessons from a forum post. Nonetheless I wouldn't have things any other way on here, the freedom of diction helps people express their personalities in a way that isn't possible academically.

Now to tie all this back in, I would like to venture an opinion: INTP is the type most likely to be a grammar nazi. They are in a class of their own.

ancalagon

MBTI Type
INTP
One assumes unless otherwise indicated that we're referring to a forum environment (or TypoC itself).
I did not make any assumption limiting anything I said to forums in general or to this forum in particular.

There is a big difference between making a spelling mistake and inserting a substitute word, as the latter affects meaning.
My point was that spelling (and grammar) mistakes *can* affect meaning.

You have missed the reality that there are very few examples of text that have bad grammar systemically, what you will instead find is a mistake here and there at random.
It matters greatly what the frequency of the random errors is. Nobody can speak (or write) without any errors at all, but a high rate of errors can and will cause problems.

This would indeed be unacceptable in a professional situation, but it does not matter in informal contexts.
It does matter in informal contexts. It can cause misunderstandings, difficulties in understanding, and, for some people (not just Ti doms), it can cause irritation.

Now, how often do you come across something like that on the forum?
First, I was not limiting myself to forums. Second, the point of that was to make something so horrible and disgusting that anyone can see that merely being decipherable isn't enough.

Again: context matters. Many of the rules you have mentioned are style-specific, and typify a particular sort of writing whether it's professional, poetic or whatever.
None of the things I said are context-dependent.

There is more room to manoeuvre on the internet, and this is why universities generally do not suggest taking grammar lessons from a forum post. Nonetheless I wouldn't have things any other way on here, the freedom of diction helps people express their personalities in a way that isn't possible academically.
What freedom is there in misspelled words, unparsable sentences, or punctuation marks in places that make no sense?

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Bad grammar is annoying because people should communicate in as standardized a language as possible if communication is going to be efficient. That is definitely true in work and academic settings. It isn't necessarily true in other settings, but I think people's instincts for 'right grammar' carry over from work into other spheres. I know mine do. Numerous errors are annoying because it means the poster didn't take the time to correct their post.

It could be argued that taking the time to correct grammatical errors makes it more likely that time was taken to better express the content, as well.

I don't think that's true, but I do assume it all the time, irrationally.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
I looooove poor grammar.

Gotta stay entertained somehow.

(Though the real reason is that I love teaching. I view poor grammar and most other ignorance as opportunities for curiosity, exploration, and growth.)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, to be clear, I'm talking about grammatical errors, not dialectal divergence from normative grammar. That's some weird superiority thing that grosses me out.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never identified with the INTP grammar nazi stereotype. Just sayin'.

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Meh.. who cares.. dating?

just be a good person.. i don't care if you don't know which their is there. witch which is witch..

The setting matters... in a professional setting completely different...

BUT you do not want to DATE like you are HIRING someone FOR A JOB??!!

Get passionate people!

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
My INFP friend...she works for the grammar police, carries a badge and everything.

No, seriously, she's been editing books since I was in diapers. Her house may fall in on her from neglect and her husband may choke on a giant fur ball without her noticing, but she can spot a misspelled word or a misplaced comma from across the room. I'm glad she's my editor. Honestly. I am. When you're a writer, you love grammar Nazis.