User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    (the site you linked the image from doesn't allow hotlinking)

Depends on the person and the underwear.

Enneagram
    9w8

When I write, I want my words to be read and understood. If I didn't care I wouldn't take the time to write them. While I joke about my INFP friend, the truth is that I can think of no better ally as a writer.

I realize that mistakes are inevitable, but I would never deliberately ignore the rules of grammar (poetry gets its own rules though).

I think it is disrespectful to my audience NOT to at least use basic punctuation and capitalization. If I knew I sucked at grammar, I'd get someone to proof it for me. If I am asking someone to take the time to read what I wrote, then I should at least respect them enough to separate the run-ons.

For example, I just saw a post where someone disregarded punctuation rules completely. I felt like they didn't respect anyone's time and thoughts but their own and fully expected everyone to have to sort through that mess then respond. I see it as a form of disrespect and laziness, unless it's real ignorance. Written language must have some basic rules or else it becomes gibberish.

So, grammar Nazi or not, if it's not written half-way readable, I'm not going to read it.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14
    Likes Mole liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

"you're grammer sucks" - from a self-professed grammar nazi
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Thinking types, essentially.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    My INFP friend...she works for the grammar police, carries a badge and everything.

No, seriously, she's been editing books since I was in diapers. Her house may fall in on her from neglect and her husband may choke on a giant fur ball without her noticing, but she can spot a misspelled word or a misplaced comma from across the room.
    I don't think this is attributable to thinking or feeling types. To me, it's a brain function, where you simply spot mistakes. I have this, where I can spot a spelling mistake on a single-spaced typewritten page, automatically. I don't call it a 'skill' because it happens automatically, without thought.

Whether you call out the mistake or judge someone for them is another story. I would think a judging type would be more prone to that behavior.
    Likes robowolf liked this post

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by xenaprincess View Post
    I don't think this is attributable to thinking or feeling types. To me, it's a brain function, where you simply spot mistakes. I have this, where I can spot a spelling mistake on a single-spaced typewritten page, automatically. I don't call it a 'skill' because it happens automatically, without thought.

Whether you call out the mistake or judge someone for them is another story. I would think a judging type would be more prone to that behavior.
    It happens automatically with her, too. I do think it has to do with the fact that she has spent the last thirty years editing. A career of spotting errors makes it like breathing to her.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

I love this. I love type-based stats. This one's particularly entertaining. I'm not being sarcastic, seriously.

Got any other stats?
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I do negatively judge people for their grammar, though that fact isn't something I like about myself. I'm definitely a lot less judgmental than I used to be. My grammar isn't perfect always, either.

I get most irritated by long posts dragged out into a single paragraph, incorrect and consistent usage of "your" when "you're" is actually meant, really bad punctuation, and run-on sentences. I'm not bothered by people deliberately avoiding capital letters, or a few mistakes here and there. I am also very forgiving when I know someone is not a native English speaker.

I am not so forgiving in a professional setting, especially when the offender is my boss... I once had a boss who would make me respond to customer email inquires and complaints as if I were him. He never made any of my coworkers do that, and my pay remained at minimum wage.

All that said, I have never called out someone online or in person for his or her bad grammar, and I don't think I would in the future. I think doing so is mean and unhelpful.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    I've never identified with the INTP grammar nazi stereotype. Just sayin'.
    This CLEARLY brings your type into question. Non-adherence to INTP grammar Nazi stereotyping is -20 INTP points.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Being a denizen of a certain country doesn't automatically preclude one from understanding the culture of another.
    *nods* I am a xenophile as well. I've even been accused of not being American enough *gasp*.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft