User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    @BadOctopus

I only found Mr Bean really funny.

You should also watch Only Fools & Horses.

- - - Updated - - -

Hold on, this is not the British comedy thread is it?
    It most certainly is not.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    It most certainly is not.
    You're right. I apologize for derailing the thread. I was just irked by Mole's baseless generalization of Americans, and in a moment of pettiness, I had to say something. It won't happen again.

To make amends, here's a grammar joke.
    Likes Mace, SpankyMcFly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    That's an awfully broad assumption. I am an American, and I love British humor. (Or should I say "humour"?)
    Yes, you should.

Being a denizen of a certain country doesn't automatically preclude one from understanding the culture of another.
    Don't waste your time trying to have a sensible conversation with an ignoramus of his ilk.
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

Don't waste your time trying to have a sensible conversation with an ignoramus of his ilk.
    It kind of hurts my soul because I love things like John Oliver, Flight of the Concords, Chris Lilley, etc.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes BadOctopus liked this post

Default The Grammar School and Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by baccheion View Post
    I never understood the obsession with grammar.
    Shakespeare went to a Grammar school and studied the grammar of at least four languages, resulting in the greatest body of literature in the world.

And today, in a gesture of reverse snobbery and self contempt, we impoverish ourselves and each other by rejecting a grammar we don't even understand.

Default McLuhan, Tocqueville, and Veliz

I was just irked by Mole's baseless generalization of Americans
    Most Americans have the idea because they are enthralled by American popular culture they understand American culture, when American culture is invisible to them.

To understand American culture a good place to start is Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan, Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville, and The New World of the Gothic Fox by Claudio Veliz, a comparative history of the Americas and Oz.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Shakespeare went to a Grammar school and studied the grammar of at least four languages, resulting in the greatest body of literature in the world.

And today, in a gesture of reverse snobbery and self contempt, we impoverish ourselves and each other by rejecting a grammar we don't even understand.
    no one is certain if Shakespeare was one person, many people, or a myth, let alone what he studied in high school.

And to be quite honest with you as phenomenal as a Shakespearean tale is in terms of design it comes short in effectiveness since it is only understandable to a select few privileged people who have the time and luxury to fully sit down and understand his works.

Far superior were the oratories of Homer and the writings of Ovid which were a sort of collective medicine for the soul and highly effective in ushering in peace and unity. Plus, Shakespeare simply plagiarized and magnified the themes in Ovid's Metamorphosis slightly bastardizing it by injecting the backwards social feudalism which plagued that region and was responsible for slavery.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

You're right. I apologize for derailing the thread. I was just irked by Mole's baseless generalization of Americans, and in a moment of pettiness, I had to say something. It won't happen again.

To make amends, here's a grammar joke.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

Being a denizen of a certain country doesn't automatically preclude one from understanding the culture of another.
    I am fortunate to share my sense of humour every day with my fellow Australians. Naturally I have tried to share the Australian sense of humour with Americans, but they just don't get it. And, God help me, I have tried to explain the Australian sense of humour to Americans, but the more I explain the less they get.

A prominent American addressed us at a public meeting in Australia. She started off in the usual American way by telling us we had the 'best sense of humour in the world', but as her speech wore on she started to tell us that our sense of humour was actually destructive of self esteem, and we would do better by following the American example of nurturing self esteem.

So naturally we nurtured her self esteem by giving her a hearty round of applause.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    it is only understandable to a select few privileged people who have the time and luxury to fully sit down and understand his works.
    You use the language of Shakespeare everyday without understanding what you do.

And in a form of reverse snobbery you express your ressentiment towards those who love and understand the greatest writer in the English language.

This sounds more like The Lord of the Flies than a Grammar School.