User Tag List

First 12345 Last

In Britain social class is indicated by accent. But in the colonies, like the USA and Oz, social class is indicated by grammar.

This is because Britain still retains its old social structure based on the spoken word, while the New World of the USA and Oz are more based on print and universal literacy.

Of course Oz came off the British tree at least 200 years later than the USA, so Oz is still attuned to British accents, while the USA is now deaf to British accents.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I don't know... I have been to the United Kingdom, and I met more than a few Brits who had terrible grammar. I actually heard someone say, "They is well bad, innit?"

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    The same types most likely to have lower EQ.
    Oh snap!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I don't know... I have been to the United Kingdom, and I met more than a few Brits who had terrible grammar. I actually heard someone say, "They is well bad, innit?"
    Sure, grammar is a function of literacy and literacy is a function of the eye.

On the other hand social accent is a function of the spoken culture and is a function of the ear.

So highly literate societies like the USA are deaf to the social permutations and combinations of accent, but are more at home with written grammar.

So the dominant sense in the USA is the eye, while Britain and Oz still retain a spoken culture based on the ear.

This goes some way to explaining why Americans are deaf to our sense of humour. It is not that they are deaf just to our sense of humour, they are deaf to the nuances of the spoken word.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I am a grammar Nazi by my own admission. I always use proper grammar in my text messages, and although I try not to correct other people's grammar, I die a little on the inside every time.

Poor grammar, in my opinion, tends to make a person look either uneducated or just plain lazy.
    i think just writing something that the other person can understand and not paying too much attention to stuff like '(=people's instead peoples) or capital letters or what ever is like talking to someone casually. writing with a perfect grammar, having all the dots and shits perfectly in the right place like you have ocd and using language as if you were reading dictionary, makes it seem like a job interview or something overly formal like that, its like wearing a suit on your letters. Sure it has its place, but in casual conversation it doesent matter, unless you want to look like you are wearing a suit while writing the text.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I am a grammar Nazi by my own admission. I always use proper grammar in my text messages, and although I try not to correct other people's grammar, I die a little on the inside every time.

Poor grammar, in my opinion, tends to make a person look either uneducated or just plain lazy.
    Does seeing the bad grammar make you want to become 'an hero?'
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

I never understood the obsession with grammar. And no matter what, the idiots that are obsessed with it won't let it go. They just keep twisting things around to be able to continue annoying everyone with this garbage. And now it's been verified (as though it wasn't already obvious) that "grammar nazi" is a judger thing, especially extraverted thinkers (Te). This makes it clear to me that the obsession with this garbage will never end, and that if the world were to move past it, they'd simply try to find something else to annoy everyone with.

No matter where I am, there they are again, and the only thing they are ever doing is looking for something stupid they can blindly and incessantly repeat to have everyone be miserable, down, and suffocating. It's always the same. They are obsessed with trying to say everyone's stupid, and that they are the only ones that know what they are doing, and that everyone should do what they say.

It's painful every time they open their mouths, as their voice is usually annoying, it's always an interruption, it's always annoying, it's always at the worst time, it's always pointless, and it's even worse since it's obvious they are not well-intentioned, are trying to be insulting, and were looking for ways to say the person was stupid.

Over the years, I've gone from not seeing what the big deal is (laughing about their obsession with things that don't matter) to having a strong negative association with anything grammar nazi related. As soon as I hear anyone even mention this garbage, I start thinking they are idiots, close-minded, judgmental, rotten, and full of it. And I'm always right.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by baccheion View Post
    I never understood the obsession with grammar. And no matter what, the idiots that are obsessed with it won't let it go. They just keep twisting things around to be able to continue annoying everyone with this garbage. And now it's been verified (as though it wasn't already obvious) that "grammar nazi" is a judger thing, especially extraverted thinkers (Te). This makes it clear to me that the obsession with this garbage will never end, and that if the world were to move past it, they'd simply try to find something else to annoy everyone with.

No matter where I am, there they are again, and the only thing they are ever doing is looking for something stupid they can blindly and incessantly repeat to have everyone be miserable, down, and suffocating. It's always the same. They are obsessed with trying to say everyone's stupid, and that they are the only ones that know what they are doing, and that everyone should do what they say.

It's painful every time they open their mouths, as their voice is usually annoying, it's always an interruption, it's always annoying, it's always at the worst time, it's always pointless, and it's even worse since it's obvious they are not well-intentioned, are trying to be insulting, and were looking for ways to say the person was stupid.

Over the years, I've gone from not seeing what the big deal is (laughing about their obsession with things that don't matter) to having a strong negative association with anything grammar nazi related. As soon as I hear anyone even mention this garbage, I start thinking they are idiots, close-minded, judgmental, rotten, and full of it. And I'm always right.
    Of course you are.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    This goes some way to explaining why Americans are deaf to our sense of humour. It is not that they are deaf just to our sense of humour, they are deaf to the nuances of the spoken word.
    That's an awfully broad assumption. I am an American, and I love British humor. (Or should I say "humour"?) In fact, I prefer it over most American comedy. I think P.G. Wodehouse and Douglas Adams are two of the funniest writers in the history of English literature, and although Charles Dickens is usually thought of as a serious author, he had a grand gift for comedy as well. I'm not the only American who thinks so, either. Most of my friends and family love British humor.

Being a denizen of a certain country doesn't automatically preclude one from understanding the culture of another.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

@BadOctopus

I only found Mr Bean really funny.

You should also watch Only Fools & Horses.

- - - Updated - - -

Hold on, this is not the British comedy thread is it?