User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I don't really care, as long as I can understand what the other person is saying.

You have to be an asshole of the first degree to judge people on typos.
    What you're missing is that failure to adhere to the norms of grammar and spelling can and does cause lack of understanding.

Also, for some people, errors like this (even those that don't cause an actual misunderstanding) jump out and distract you from whatever the meaning was.

IIFF uu dis
    agriy
    thihn tiry 2 reed ThIsEnTinsnadTILLME;; that, it, ,,
    izCLERUR. !&$^? than whit u rot??????!!!!???!???!

Of course, there are some rules that make no sense or are completely arbitrary. There are also some "rules" that are more misunderstandings about grammar than actual grammatical concerns. For example, "Don't end a sentence with a preposition" is often repeated, but is not actually a part of the grammar of English. So it is entirely possible for someone to judge someone else based on an incorrect understanding of what writing correctly actually is.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ancalagon View Post
    What you're missing is that failure to adhere to the norms of grammar and spelling can and does cause lack of understanding.
    One assumes unless otherwise indicated that we're referring to a forum environment (or TypoC itself).

There is a big difference between making a spelling mistake and inserting a substitute word, as the latter affects meaning.

You have missed the reality that there are very few examples of text that have bad grammar systemically, what you will instead find is a mistake here and there at random. This would indeed be unacceptable in a professional situation, but it does not matter in informal contexts.

Also, for some people, errors like this (even those that don't cause an actual misunderstanding) jump out and distract you from whatever the meaning was.
    Immature Ti doms perhaps.

IIFF uu dis
    agriy
    thihn tiry 2 reed ThIsEnTinsnadTILLME;; that, it, ,,
    izCLERUR. !&$^? than whit u rot??????!!!!???!???!
    Now, how often do you come across something like that on the forum?

Of course, there are some rules that make no sense or are completely arbitrary. There are also some "rules" that are more misunderstandings about grammar than actual grammatical concerns. For example, "Don't end a sentence with a preposition" is often repeated, but is not actually a part of the grammar of English. So it is entirely possible for someone to judge someone else based on an incorrect understanding of what writing correctly actually is.
    Again: context matters. Many of the rules you have mentioned are style-specific, and typify a particular sort of writing whether it's professional, poetic or whatever. There is more room to manoeuvre on the internet, and this is why universities generally do not suggest taking grammar lessons from a forum post. Nonetheless I wouldn't have things any other way on here, the freedom of diction helps people express their personalities in a way that isn't possible academically.

Now to tie all this back in, I would like to venture an opinion: INTP is the type most likely to be a grammar nazi. They are in a class of their own.
    Likes oneandonly liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    One assumes unless otherwise indicated that we're referring to a forum environment (or TypoC itself).
    I did not make any assumption limiting anything I said to forums in general or to this forum in particular.

There is a big difference between making a spelling mistake and inserting a substitute word, as the latter affects meaning.
    My point was that spelling (and grammar) mistakes *can* affect meaning.

You have missed the reality that there are very few examples of text that have bad grammar systemically, what you will instead find is a mistake here and there at random.
    It matters greatly what the frequency of the random errors is. Nobody can speak (or write) without any errors at all, but a high rate of errors can and will cause problems.

This would indeed be unacceptable in a professional situation, but it does not matter in informal contexts.
    It does matter in informal contexts. It can cause misunderstandings, difficulties in understanding, and, for some people (not just Ti doms), it can cause irritation.

Now, how often do you come across something like that on the forum?
    First, I was not limiting myself to forums. Second, the point of that was to make something so horrible and disgusting that anyone can see that merely being decipherable isn't enough.

Again: context matters. Many of the rules you have mentioned are style-specific, and typify a particular sort of writing whether it's professional, poetic or whatever.
    None of the things I said are context-dependent.

There is more room to manoeuvre on the internet, and this is why universities generally do not suggest taking grammar lessons from a forum post. Nonetheless I wouldn't have things any other way on here, the freedom of diction helps people express their personalities in a way that isn't possible academically.
    What freedom is there in misspelled words, unparsable sentences, or punctuation marks in places that make no sense?

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Bad grammar is annoying because people should communicate in as standardized a language as possible if communication is going to be efficient. That is definitely true in work and academic settings. It isn't necessarily true in other settings, but I think people's instincts for 'right grammar' carry over from work into other spheres. I know mine do. Numerous errors are annoying because it means the poster didn't take the time to correct their post.

It could be argued that taking the time to correct grammatical errors makes it more likely that time was taken to better express the content, as well.

I don't think that's true, but I do assume it all the time, irrationally.
    Formerly Lion4!5

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

Type most likely to be a grammar jew is @Jarlaxle.
    Likes five sounds, 93JC, SpankyMcFly liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

I looooove poor grammar.

Gotta stay entertained somehow.

(Though the real reason is that I love teaching. I view poor grammar and most other ignorance as opportunities for curiosity, exploration, and growth.)

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Also, to be clear, I'm talking about grammatical errors, not dialectal divergence from normative grammar. That's some weird superiority thing that grosses me out.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've never identified with the INTP grammar nazi stereotype. Just sayin'.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFJ

Meh.. who cares.. dating?

just be a good person.. i don't care if you don't know which their is there. witch which is witch..

The setting matters... in a professional setting completely different...

BUT you do not want to DATE like you are HIRING someone FOR A JOB??!!

Get passionate people!
    We are more than the sum of our parts.

Enneagram
    9w8

My INFP friend...she works for the grammar police, carries a badge and everything.

No, seriously, she's been editing books since I was in diapers. Her house may fall in on her from neglect and her husband may choke on a giant fur ball without her noticing, but she can spot a misspelled word or a misplaced comma from across the room. I'm glad she's my editor. Honestly. I am. When you're a writer, you love grammar Nazis.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14
    Likes oneandonly, xenaprincess, SpankyMcFly liked this post