• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Psychological Trap

Mole

Permabanned
The scary thing about the cult of types is that it is self enclosing and self reinforcing.

No matter what one feels, no matter what one thinks, no matter what one says, there is no way out. Like other cults it is the perfect psychological trap because it is invisible.

Learning the jargon of types takes us further into the trap.

And when we are in a trap the important thing is to get out.

Jaguar

cult

1. a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
"the cult of St. Olaf"

2. a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.
"a network of Satan-worshiping cults"

synonyms: sect, denomination, group, movement, church, persuasion, body, faction
"a religious cult"

3. a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
"a cult of personality surrounding the leaders"

synonyms: obsession with, fixation on, mania for, passion for, idolization of, devotion to, worship of, veneration of
"the cult of eternal youth in Hollywood"

Hmm . . .

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hail Satan!

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
An animal will deglove its tail to escape a predator.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
So how do you propose we get out? :p

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

1. Find a mole.

2. Learn to emulate the mole's one track mind and tunnel vision, and follow him into his dark, constricted little burrow.

3. Savor your newfound freedom.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
1. Find a mole.

2. Learn to emulate the mole's one track mind and tunnel vision, and follow him into his dark, constricted little burrow.

Unfortunately I'm not small enough to follow any mole into their tiny little burrow. I'll need a bigger path with a little more room for leeway. :(

Cygnus

1. Find a mole.

Whose side are you even on?

Mole

Permabanned
The Escape Committee

I have referred the matter to our Escape Committee. And although I am not at liberty to reveal the names of the members of the Committee, nor am I at liberty to reveal operational matters, I can give an overview of strategy.

The strategy of the Escape Committee is a two pronged attack. The first is reason and the second is trance.

Some members of the Committee favour reason, but other members say that what is believed without reason can't be defeated with reason, but rather the cult members are entranced by mbti, and the only way to defeat a trance is with another trance.

And of course there are those members who think we need both reason and trance to escape. So for political and diplomatic reasons the Escape Committee has settled on a two pronged attack of reason and trance.

We wish them God speed.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have referred the matter to our Escape Committee. And although I am not at liberty to reveal the names of the members of the Committee, nor am I at liberty to reveal operational matters, I can give an overview of strategy.

The strategy of the Escape Committee is a two pronged attack. The first is reason and the second is trance.

Some members of the Committee favour reason, but other members say that what is believed without reason can't be defeated with reason, but rather the cult members are entranced by mbti, and the only way to defeat a trance is with another trance.

And of course there are those members who think we need both reason and trance to escape. So for political and diplomatic reasons the Escape Committee has settled on a two pronged attack of reason and trance.

We wish them God speed.

My heart goes out to those faithful members of the committee. There has never been a greater cause, please work hard and find the solution to our dire position. :boohoo:

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
He has a very good point. Type is a self-reinforcing view of the world, if you learn enough about it. It is mostly immune to refutation because it can always be corrected from within its own terms by reinterpreting the data; in other words "I was mistyped" or "He was mistyped" or "I made this prediction based on the x x functional loop, but I didn't realize this other factor was more important".

Reinterpreting data is unscientific, more akin to a religious cult than a serious field for study.

I think a broader knowledge of psychology besides just Jungian cognitive functions, and also a willingness to look at what is actually happening around you are good correctives to this trap. The framework is still useful as long as we can acknowledge the limitations.

Cygnus

Mole's persistent derails and threads to directly smear typology are what killed this site.

Mole

Permabanned
He has a very good point. Type is a self-reinforcing view of the world, if you learn enough about it. It is mostly immune to refutation because it can always be corrected from within its own terms by reinterpreting the data; in other words "I was mistyped" or "He was mistyped" or "I made this prediction based on the x x functional loop, but I didn't realize this other factor was more important".

Reinterpreting data is unscientific, more akin to a religious cult than a serious field for study.

I think a broader knowledge of psychology besides just Jungian cognitive functions, and also a willingness to look at what is actually happening around you are good correctives to this trap. The framework is still useful as long as we can acknowledge the limitations.

Yes, mbti is like a religion in that as you say, it is immune from refutation because it is always corrected from within in its own terms.

This is precisely the way religion defends itself using self referential logic, and in the same way religion accounts for other religions and dismisses them.

And interestingly Central practices a subtle form of censorship lest mbti be revealed as an emperor with no clothes.

Cygnus

Is that really your opinion?
I believe he contributed considerably to it.

His whole purpose of being on this site is to slander typology. We can't ban him because he hasn't broken any rules, but he's behaving in a way directly antithetical to the very reason for this site's existence. Meanwhile, productive people like [MENTION=10984]Azure Flame[/MENTION]/DJ Arendee, who made massive contributions to our understanding of typology, keep getting banned because they do violate the rules even though they were doing more to help the community than anyone else.

This is why Te is bullshit and can never be relied upon.

Mole

Permabanned
Cock Robin and Typology Central

Mole's persistent derails and threads to directly smear typology are what killed this site.

Who killed Cock Robin? Who killed Typology Central?

It was Mole! Black furred, black hearted Mole.

See -

Who killed Cock Robin?I, said the Mole,with my bow and arrow,I killed Cock Robin.

Who saw him die?I, said the Fly,with my little eye,I saw him die.

Who caught his blood?I, said the Fish,with my little dish,I caught his blood.

Who'll make the shroud?I, said the Beetle,with my thread and needle,I'll make the shroud.

Who'll dig his grave?I, said the Owl,with my little trowel,I'll dig his grave.

Who'll be the parson?I, said the Rook,with my little book,I'll be the parson.

Who'll be the clerk?I, said the Lark,if it's not in the dark,I'll be the clerk.

Who'll carry the link?I, said the Linnet,I'll fetch it in a minute,I'll carry the link.

Who'll be chief mourner?I, said the Dove,I mourn for my love,I'll be chief mourner.

Who'll carry the coffin?I, said the Kite,if it's not through the night,I'll carry the coffin.

Who'll bear the pall?We, said the Wren,both the cock and the hen,We'll bear the pall.

Who'll sing a psalm?I, said the Thrush,as she sat on a bush,I'll sing a psalm.

Who'll toll the bell?I said the Bull,because I can pull,I'll toll the bell.

All the birds of the airfell a-sighing and a-sobbing,when they heard the bell tollfor poor Cock Robin.**

** The death of a robin by an arrow is depicted in a 15th-century stained glass window at Buckland Rectory, Gloucestershire.

And a number of theories have been advanced to explain the meaning of the rhyme:

The rhyme records a mythological event, such as the death of the god Balder from Norse mythology, or the ritual sacrifice of a king figure, as proposed by early folklorists as in the 'Cutty Wren' theory of a 'pagan survival'.

It is a parody of the death of William Rufus, who was killed by an arrow in the New Forest (Hampshire) in 1100.

The rhyme is connected with the fall of Robert Walpole's government in 1742, since Robin is a diminutive form of Robert and the first printing is close to the time of the events mentioned.

The rhyme is associated with Robin Hood.

And now the rhyme is a parody of the killing of Typology Central by Black Mole in 2015.

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I believe he contributed considerably to it.

His whole purpose of being on this site is to slander typology. We can't ban him because he hasn't broken any rules, but he's behaving in a way directly antithetical to the very reason for this site's existence. Meanwhile, productive people like [MENTION=10984]Azure Flame[/MENTION]/DJ Arendee, who made massive contributions to our understanding of typology, keep getting banned because they do violate the rules even though they were doing more to help the community than anyone else.

This is why Te is bullshit and can never be relied upon.

DJArendee left typology for good. Have you seen his last video?

He would have left soon anyway; no one makes videos for more than two years consecutive, and he was by far the longest running. But I see the larger point; he was one of the best if not the best contributor on YouTube, and he generated genuinely new material which was sometimes accurate.

I like Mole, though. I don't agree with his project, but you can't dislike someone who came up with that Cock Robin post.

Te ensures fairness and free exchange of information within the rules.