• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Psychological Trap

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The site is called "Typology Central". That's essentially its main focus. If you don't like typology, the most sensible course would be to leave.

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I notice that all of us discussing this are relatively recent members. Mole has been here since 2008.
[MENTION=17749]Someone[/MENTION] who has been here as long as Mole : Was he the same in 2008, or the earliest year you remember? Because if so, I don't think he could have been responsible for killing the site. This is a more recent problem; it seemed pretty lively not so long ago.

Mole

Permabanned
The site is called "Typology Central". That's essentially its main focus. If you don't like typology, the most sensible course would be to leave.

The site is actually called MBTI Central, but the name was changed for business reasons. The reason is that some are making money from MBTI, and so jealously guard the name, and the reputation.

Our Royal Commission has noted that almost all institutions defend their reputations before empathising with their victims. And interestingly, the victims tend to identify with the institution and themselves defend the reputation of the institution. It's called the Stockholm Syndrome.

Mole

Permabanned
Mbti, love it or leave it

As I write our National Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse is hearing evidence against Jewish schools in Sydney and Melbourne. And records that child sexual abuse was covered up in both schools, and any Jewish parent who complained about child sexual abuse at the school was told the sensible course of action was for them to leave the Jewish community.

And of course we see bumper stickers which advise America, love it or leave it.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you hate this website so much, then why are you here? Do you have some sort of savior complex? Are you trying to rescue the poor blinded masses of TypoC or something?

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And of course we see bumper stickers which advise America, love it or leave it.

Wait, I thought you were a right-winger. Western civilization and all that. America is the height of Western civilization! True, there are some rough edges, but it achieved a lot of the things that other Western nations can only dream about having. It's like Rome to Greece; true we haven't created much, but we sure figured out how to make it work!

Mole

Permabanned
If you hate this website so much, then why are you here? Do you have some sort of savior complex? Are you trying to rescue the poor blinded masses of TypoC or something?

C'mon there are a small group of new members who want their self esteem boosted, naturally they don't like me and want to get rid of me.

On the other hand, I have learnt to think critically and I rather like it. I do recognise it is an acquired taste, and indeed critical thinking is a threat to self esteem, so I quite understand their dislike of me. But I don't wish to follow suit.

It is what it is.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
C'mon there are a small group of new members who want their self esteem boosted, naturally they don't like me and want to get rid of me.

On the other hand, I have learnt to think critically and I rather like it. I do recognise it is an acquired taste, and indeed critical thinking is a threat to self esteem, so I quite understand their dislike of me. But I don't wish to follow suit.

It is what it is.
You do have a lovely way of answering questions without actually answering them, I'll give you that.

Mole

Permabanned
Wait, I thought you were a right-winger. Western civilization and all that. America is the height of Western civilization! True, there are some rough edges, but it achieved a lot of the things that other Western nations can only dream about having. It's like Rome to Greece; true we haven't created much, but we sure figured out how to make it work!

Of course I am not a right winger, nor a left winger, rather I live and support liberal democracy.

Western Civilisation is based on evidence and reason, freedom and equality. About 40% of Americans ignore evidence and reason, and while the USA does support freedom, the USA is the most unequal of all the OECD nations.

I understand you have a debt you will never be able to pay off, and your political system is in deadlock. And to the consternation of Oz, the USA is making warlike noises towards our largest trading partner, China.

So the USA embodies only part of the values of Western Civilisation.

We have noticed the USA usually does do the right thing, but only after they have been harried and nagged and even shouted at. So think of me, not so much as Pinocchio with the nose, but rather as your conscience, Jiminy Cricket.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It is what it is.

I think the only time "people don't like you" is when you play the one-note song over and over, even when not related to the topic at hand. You become a klaxon that people need to move away from so as to continue their actual conversation. It's rather a trap in itself.

Otherwise, when you do stoop to actually dialogue, I find you scintillatingly thoughtful and rather fun.

Jaguar

It is what it is.

I'm one of the few people who thinks your posts serve a purpose. Seriously. I wish you'd change things up from time to time, but I get your deal. In short, I have no interest in seeing you blown out of here.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Awww Jag has gone and gotten all warm and fuzzy on us. :wubbie:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An equally respectable alternative would be to make an actual case for the limits, faults, or dangers of typological systems, which here have included more than MBTI for years. Then we all might learn something.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The thing is, most of the people here understand that typology is not strictly scientific, and that it is not infallible. Humans are too complex to categorize into just a handful of types.

For instance, MBTI seems to indicate that I, as an INTJ, should be a whiz at math. Nothing could be further from the truth. I suck at math. Always have. Does this mean that I am mis-typed? No, it just means that typology isn't perfect. Duh. It's an indicator, not a guaranteed predictor of how a person will behave.

It's an interesting, somewhat useful tool in understanding those whose thinking differs from our own. That's all. I'd venture to say that very few people here have a cult-like devotion to it, as Mole seems to think.

Mole

Permabanned
An equally respectable alternative would be to make an actual case for the limits, faults, or dangers of typological systems, which here have included more than MBTI for years. Then we all might learn something.

When I give a detailed history and analysis of mbti it invariably gets relegated to The Graveyard where it can't be read by most who come to Typology Central.

This is the behaviour of those who identify with mbti as an institution and so naturally they seek to protect the reputation of mbti.

And interestingly when I analyse the history of mbti the response is personal attacks on myself.

So when I impune the reputation of mbti, they impune my reputation in turn.

The intellect is not met by the intellect but by ad hominem attacks.

á´…eparted

passages
When I give a detailed history and analysis of mbti it invariably gets relegated to The Graveyard where it can't be read by most who come to Typology Central.

Because when you do, it is either off topic, hostile, or just factually wrong.

This is the behaviour of those who identify with mbti as an institution and so naturally they seek to protect the reputation of mbti.

No, you just wish it to be this way because you have an axe to grind.

And interestingly when I analyse the history of mbti the response is personal attacks on myself.

Yes, because you are often doing so in an patronizing, hostile, factually wrong, off topic, or mean spirited manner.

Yup, because you go about it poorly, and you know that that is exactly what you're doing. You're entire goal here is to cause discord, you've overtly said it multiple times. So really, you're complaining for the sake of complaining. Luckily, the vast majority of us see right on through it and you don't even get close to acheiving your little goals. Great isn't it?

There is no intellect, just people calling you out on your BS.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
For instance, MBTI seems to indicate that I, as an INTJ, should be a whiz at math. Nothing could be further from the truth. I suck at math. Always have.
:solidarity: :cheers:

Jaguar

Yes, because you are often doing so in an patronizing, hostile, factually wrong, off topic, or mean spirited manner.

Just because Mole, Betty, Bob, or Mr. Wizard posts something you don't like doesn't give you (or anyone) the right to launch personal attacks. Attack the post. Attack the theory. Attack the premise. Not the person. Ironically, your post could easily generate a wave of personal attacks on Mole which could result in a spate of infractions being handed down. Is that what you want? Your post could easily be construed as an intent to get a bunch of people to gang up on him, and in turn, destabilize an entire forum. If you don't like his posts, you don't have to read them.

Alternatively, you can put him on your ignore list. Problem solved.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

Au contraire, mon frere! In at least three exchanges you and I have had here at TC about the MBTI, you're the one whose posts have represented an all-but-complete unwillingness on your part to "meet intellect with intellect" (as you put it).

Here's a post where I called you out on your uninformed MBTI horseshit — attacking your assertions, not your person — and you failed to meaningfully address any of the substance of my post or the sources I linked to.

Here's another example of me calling you out on another silly anti-MBTI claim of yours — and another example of you failing to meaningfully address the substance of my posts.

A-a-and here's more of the same: Mole spouts nonsense; reckful calls him out; Mole has no meaningful reply.

If you've ever posted anything remotely close to a reality-based "detailed history and analysis of MBTI," I sure haven't seen it. Perhaps you could link me.

PS: impune --> impugn

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The thing is, most of the people here understand that typology is not strictly scientific, and that it is not infallible. Humans are too complex to categorize into just a handful of types.

For instance, MBTI seems to indicate that I, as an INTJ, should be a whiz at math. Nothing could be further from the truth. I suck at math. Always have. Does this mean that I am mis-typed? No, it just means that typology isn't perfect. Duh. It's an indicator, not a guaranteed predictor of how a person will behave.

It's an interesting, somewhat useful tool in understanding those whose thinking differs from our own. That's all. I'd venture to say that very few people here have a cult-like devotion to it, as Mole seems to think.

A lot of the misconceptions about NTs being math whizzes also derive from the Keirsey school of thought. Any NT lacking perfect math skills or who didn't receive straight A's (or whatever grading system they follow in their country) during their education might read those type descriptions and find it impossible to relate.