User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default Are Introverts Energized By Solitude?

I spent most of the day by myself and don't feel energized at all.
    All I really did today was begin packing for college and do random stuff on the computer.
    I feel less active physically AND mentally and may even just go to sleep after dinner.
    One of my good friends has a summer job at his college and visited Long Island for two weeks- he left yesterday.
    Does this apply to everyone or just extraverts?
    Would an introvert be energized physically and mentally from a day he spends entirely by himself?
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Would an introvert be energized physically and mentally from a day he spends entirely by himself?
    Yes, recharged is how I would put it.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Yeah. If I spend "too much" time socializing, I crave solitude (It's almost like a physical hunger, a need), and I feel better after I've had it for a while. The reverse is less true.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Yeah. If I spend "too much" time socializing, I crave solitude (It's almost like a physical hunger, a need), and I feel better after I've had it for a while. The reverse is less true.
    Ditto.
    I don't know if it gives me energy so much as allow me to get back to the baseline after being sapped.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Yes, even a couple of hours lying in bed reading or sitting in front of my computer is like a healing balm.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's an interesting paradox for me personally. I don't ever feel like I want to be alone, but at the same time I recognize that I need alone time. My energy starts to empty out tremendously when I spend long periods of time with other people. I eventually hit a wall where I really just have to tune out. How much recharging time I need depends on how much time I spent in the energy-draining external world.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Yes. If I am visiting someone for a weekend or something (which means I don't have my own space to go to) I will definitely find the nearest forest...

Banned
    MBTI
    type

*Analyzing*

I think one thing that gets to me (and others, I'm sure) is that I start to lose my sense of self. I naturally mirror/mimic the people I interact with, developing an alternate personality.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

*Analyzing*

I think one thing that gets to me (and others, I'm sure) is that I start to lose my sense of self. I naturally mirror/mimic the people I interact with, developing an alternate personality.
    Yeah that's annoying. I sometimes hear myself changing my way of speaking too...

Oh, BTW, this need for solitude does not necessarily mean solitude. If the person I am with is close to me, it doesn't kill my battery. Like some folks that you can be with without talking to them or making an effort.

MBTI
    INTP

*Analyzing*

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Yeah that's annoying. I sometimes hear myself changing my way of speaking too...

Oh, BTW, this need for solitude does not necessarily mean solitude. If the person I am with is close to me, it doesn't kill my battery. Like some folks that you can be with without talking to them or making an effort.
    Agreed. I do start to lose my sense of self if I don't have time alone, but there are people who I don't need much time away from. Sometimes, though, I'm so comfortable with those friends that I have to make myself pull away and have personal time because I'm aware I need it, but I'm enjoying their company.

I wouldn't say I am energized by alone time. I'm not sure introverts see "energizing" as a completely desirable thing. It even sounds exhausting. I remember when I lived in NYC, people would say stuff like, "I love the energy of New York!" Like they found it exhilarating. I find it mostly wears me out. Time alone just restores me to a normal, non-stressed state.