• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] Calling All Ni-Users!

Evastover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey guys!

So I was just noticing that all the dominant Ni-users I know (or even those with Ni in their function stack in general) tend to keep repeating themselves over and over. They're circle to the same topic again and again and won't really respond in a... meaningful or effective(?) (can't find the right words) way unless whatever's being introduced by the other person is strictly and obviously related. Is there any way to get these people out of this loop? If you've experienced it yourself, did you did any effective ways to get out of the rut, so to speak?

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is a "negotiation of context" that is being made, here. I.e., "What question are we answering?" Usually the loops are a result of both parties trying to answer different questions that sound similar but aren't.

Another possibility is that the Ni dom is repeating things to you because you have yet to acknowledge what was said and repeat it back in your own words. This is a form of active listening (that INFPs happen to be very good at!).

It isn't just Ni doms. In general, you need to figure out what the other person is saying and acknowledge it before you can get the other person to acknowledge what you are saying.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm sure [MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] has a dancing analogy for this. :harhar:

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm sure [MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] has a dancing analogy for this. :harhar:

In order to dance together, both leader and follower must respond to each other. That mutual response is called "connection."

Studmuffin23

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Ni is geared toward one thing: finding the deeper meaning behind everything.

I may prefer to speak about subjects in-depth, but for social purposes I make exceptions (although it's not my comfort zone). Now, if the speaker bounces from unrelated subject to unrelated subject, as ESxPs occasionally do, I find it difficult to maintain interest. There's just no topic-exploration or discussion.

That's why I love Ne doms: all of the subjects they bring up are somehow related, which helps me keep pace with the conversation. ;)

Researcher

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
bad
I have had INTJ (Ni-Te) partners (business & private), because I like them a lot.
Their advantage is that they focus a lot, on the goal they reserve for themselves.
But every advantage has a disadvantage.
The disadvantage is that they tend to be very stubborn if you introduce something new, even if it would be helpful to them & their goal. If your suggestion doesn't fit quickly, they will not bother. They will keep their thoughts clear, they won't make them muddy with new unnecessary stuff. Even if it could be helpful, but it is simply "unnecessary" it is considered a waste of time and thus you bump into their stubbornness. Mainly they will just not answer, giving no confirmation of even hearing out your unnecessary stories. You will be talking to a wall.
The only way to open them up from stubborn-mode, is to make it shine so incredible (showing off the competitive advantage in practice) that they get kind-of-jealous and want it, that always works, then they will actually come and ask you.

As for INFJs (Ni-Fe), they are not so stubborn. Because they can hear you out and acknowledge your story, out of Fe-politeness&self-sacrifice, something the INTJ is not burdened with.

This has nothing to do with repeating though. Annoying logical repetitions is a Ti-trait. Maybe your INTJs are actually INTP?
(Or maybe you are not talking about logical repetitions, but other kind of repetitions?)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This has nothing to do with repeating though. Annoying logical repetitions is a Ti-trait. Maybe your INTJs are actually INTP?
(Or maybe you are not talking about logical repetitions, but other kind of repetitions?)
Exactly. INTJs I know (myself included) have little patience for repetition, or for dragging out a topic unnecessarily. We may be willing to converse for hours on an interesting topic, but the discussion will not be repetitive. Of course if the topic is not of interest to you, it may all start to sound the same and be boring. Topic changing can indeed be annoying. Interestingly my INTP sometimes accuses me of doing this when in fact I have simply decided to take a completely different approach to the same discussion/topic to overcome what appears to be an impasse.