User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Implying a false personality type

When I first began adventuring into the typing theory years ago. I did a little test run (tested everyone in sight)... and started learning the hard way from start (but that's irrelevant).

Anyhow, I tested this one particular person (ESTP) and she instantly started saying she used to be an ENTJ. So, of course, I went to an appropriate source to determine whether that's possible. The answer I received was basically - no. People are born with a specific core type and it evolves from their. Ok!

Well, recently she stated it again. Honestly, I can't understand why anyone would electively choose to be like me (I'm not the most liked individual most of the time). I consider her assets to be unquestionable (initially building trust, basic trouble shooting...). But, it gets a little concerning when people start believing they're something they aren't.

To me, this typing is mainly a core characteristic of people (and during stressful periods it's most visible)... and there are many other contributing factors (too many to consider). But, when it comes to direction... I'm fairly certain it's important people know/understand their contributions to be effective vs. destructive.

Am I missing something? I understand ENTJ is the stereotypical wanna-be in the business realm. But, in my opinion, there's no way one can successfully pull it off. Personally, I have a liking to think she believes Ns to be completely gullible (since she's said it repeatedly). I've never once meet a N that didn't value diplomatic and/or stategic intellect the way this person does.

Just throwing that out there for thoughts... because I've reached a plateau of - I know nothing, it's safer that way.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

"Who! Who is implying a false personality type?!"

MBTI
    INTJ

I think there is still some controversy over whether types are constant or not. Most of the books seem to say it is a constant, but not everyone agrees.

I think sometimes a person may act like a certain type if they percieve that type to be better than their natural type. Sometimes, conciously or unconciously you might adopt the type of parents, friends, clas mates, co-workers, etc. to fit in better. A person might go from their assumed type to their natural type and see it as a change in type.

Also things like stress, depression and mental problems can cause a change in personality. Some people who have overcome shyness or social anxiety disorder will say they used to be introvert, but no they are not.

Ilah

MBTI
    INFJ

Anyhow, I tested this one particular person (ESTP) and she instantly started saying she used to be an ENTJ. So, of course, I went to an appropriate source to determine whether that's possible. The answer I received was basically - no. People are born with a specific core type and it evolves from their. Ok!
    Why wouldn't it be possible? People change through life, especially when they're young. As for me, I can only say that I was an obvious INTP 5-7 years ago (I'm 20 today), believe it or not. Maybe most people don't change like that, but it's not impossible. Not at all.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

You can only be one type your whole life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your friend just made a mistake the first time around in typing herself...
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

LOL, I just miss typed an ENTJ as an ESTP as well. I think it has to do with the use of their tertiary Se along with the more typical "I'm here!" thing that most Es do along with staying true to their more T tendancies.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I know an archetypal ESTP (IRL) who tests as an INFJ. It's utterly ridiculous. If she's an INFJ, I'm the queen of England.

Naturally, I'm not going to disabuse her of this because I don't care enough to. Plus, not my problem. She's horribly mistyped.

FWIW: I've always been in eNFJ. I share lacerating behaviors with my ENTJ uncle, but I'm a chip off the old INFJ daddy block. Frankly, I've always exhibited NFJ tendencies that have taken on more or less softer/edgier tones over the course of my life.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I know an archetypal ESTP (IRL) who tests as an INFJ. It's utterly ridiculous. If she's an INFJ, I'm the queen of England.

Naturally, I'm not going to disabuse her of this because I don't care enough to. Plus, not my problem. She's horribly mistyped.
    Really?! I always wanted to meet the Queen, and this whole time I was thinking she was an old lady who lived in London. But really she's a 30 yr old in NC and I've been talking to her this whole time. Amazing! Aren't ESTP and INFJ shadows? I wonder if that has anything to do with her results.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Really?! I always wanted to meet the Queen, and this whole time I was thinking she was an old lady who lived in London. But really she's a 30 yr old in NC and I've been talking to her this whole time. Amazing!
    I'll letcha wear my big ermine-lined cape! Just don't tell the other kids!

Aren't ESTP and INFJ shadows? I wonder if that has anything to do with her results.
    Yes, they are. And I can see where she gets tripped up. She has a creative job but her creativity comes out in hands-on stuff, not whimsy or intuition. I think she's mistaken her creativity and ability for intuition.

There's a particular quirk with ESTP typing. They reflect dimly into other types, like for instance, my ENTJ friend, she gets mistaken for ESTP. I've been mistaken for it myself, but that's just in my fiery moments when I'm kicking the guts out of some problem with my Fe. ESTPs have an near unparalleled ability to master their environment and read people, so I can see clearly where something like their Se (always on the hunt for data) would pick up subtleties and confuse that for Intuition.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

ENxP is strong at people areas too and they rely on Intuition...