User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Implying a false personality type

Quote Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
    Why wouldn't it be possible? People change through life, especially when they're young. As for me, I can only say that I was an obvious INTP 5-7 years ago (I'm 20 today), believe it or not. Maybe most people don't change like that, but it's not impossible. Not at all.
    Not to completely single you out... but when I was younger I probably would have tested to be different as well. Naturally, I didn't really fit the mold with the standard girly social requirement. It wasn't any difference in me (I'm fairly certain I'll never change). On the other hand, the environment I'm placed in does have a major impact on my reactions... it takes time before I can be me without completely steamrolling everyone (and that's never the goal!).

Bottomline: I'm inclined to believe the psychologist (nothing personal). Oh, and before there are any assumptions - it wasn't treatment of mine, it was an educational pursuit.

However, I do agree mental stresses do have a significant impact... no one is obsolete from that viewpoint from time to time. But, hey, that's why there are so many emotional gods/goddesses around right?!?!? Bring on the love!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    "Who! Who is implying a false personality type?!"

I don't know if types can change but I do know this is pretty damn funny.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I know an archetypal ESTP (IRL) who tests as an INFJ. It's utterly ridiculous. If she's an INFJ, I'm the queen of England.
    Heh. One of my colleagues tested as ISTJ (my team all did the MBTI test last year). It confused me for ages but I'm pretty sure she's ESTP. In hindsight, I think she just related to the reliable/get things done questions as part of her self-image. much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

I think trauma could cause people to change types, but I also think it's rare. Generally, type doesn't change.
    j'adore les chats

I can see how a person would WANT to be an ENTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    In hindsight, I think she just related to the reliable/get things done questions as part of her self-image.
    I think things like that happen quite often. There's all kinds of reasons why a person would answer a certain way when taking a test. And then to remove even more clarity, they are too sure of themselves to need to take the test again or consider things further.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiana View Post
    I think trauma could cause people to change types, but I also think it's rare. Generally, type doesn't change.
    Your type may not change, but most people test as different types at different points in their lives. You have to understand that Myers Briggs is supposed to describe the way you PREFER to do things, not the way you MUST do things. Our behavior adapts to our surroundings and sometimes MBTI test results capture our current behavior more than our preferred way of being. As a graduate student in psychology, I tested as an INFP. I was having to be very Feeling in learning to be a counselor, but after graduating and reflecting I realized I really did not want to spend my life being touchy-feely! I prefer ENTP, but my test results at the time reflected my efforts to act like an INFP.

Also, type development is presumed to be a natural part of the aging process, so dominant Intuitives will develop Sensing as they grow older, and so on. Test results will sometimes reflect the function you are currently developing, rather than your dominant function. If you've always been a strong Intuitive but are just now discovering how to use Sensing, you might well test as a Sensor.
    ENTP, professional MBTI coach, and author of a new series of personality type e-books available on

I tend to agree with the idea that we don't change our natural type, but sometimes we might look like a different type. This could be due to being in a situation where we are pressured to act different than our naturaual type. Perhaps you change to to fit in with others, because a parent tries to mold you to their type or because I job requires you to use a function that is not your dominant or secondary.

I also agree that as you age and your 3rd and 4th start to develop, they can come out pretty strong and that might change your reading.

Other the other hand, I have read a number of posts from people who feel they have changed type. I don't want to question their self assesment and tell them they must have made a mistake the first time.

Senior Member Array TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    4w5 sx/sp

I think type is something that is what makes the core of who we are and that does not change, but the environmental variables can cause us to develop in ways that are not natural or conducive to the growth of ones type and it can be very easy to think somethign like "I used to be an INTx, but now I'm an INFx". That is merely perception without analysis of why that perception may be. It would be far more acurate for me to say something like "I used to act as and live my life as an INTx, but I realized I was trying to be something I'm not and eventually leading that false existance took its toll and made me ready to accept myself for what I really am; an INFx". In that more detailed statement, I could also see that since I was conforming to the roles that the workplace expected of me, others would have seen me as an INTx, and without understanding of type, I might be tempted to say "I used to be an INTx".

It is understanding of type, and understanding that it is the true motivations and values of the individual that make type and NOT how we act at any given time, or even what we seem to be good at. What motivates us, what we are naturally driven to seek, that which brings us a sense of fulfillment and that which when absent has a noticable effect on us is what defines type to me, and I do not beleive that changes over time, but it may take a lot of time to reach the self awareness of what ones true values and motivations are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    I think there is still some controversy over whether types are constant or not. Most of the books seem to say it is a constant, but not everyone agrees.

I think sometimes a person may act like a certain type if they percieve that type to be better than their natural type. Sometimes, conciously or unconciously you might adopt the type of parents, friends, clas mates, co-workers, etc. to fit in better. A person might go from their assumed type to their natural type and see it as a change in type.

Also things like stress, depression and mental problems can cause a change in personality. Some people who have overcome shyness or social anxiety disorder will say they used to be introvert, but no they are not.

I have surmised from observation that I can change types for small periods, but I am unable to sustain the change without a rest. INXP/INTP can easily regress to INFP under stress, and if needed to ENTP for short periods, but ENFP is not discerned by me, but may be seen by others. Even ESFP has occurred for short periods.

Pharmaceuticals can induce temporary change as well.

I have also seen others change in the presence of their husband from ISFJ to ISTJ/ISFP/ISTP/IXTJ when I believe the default is ISTP.

Even a serious head injury did not make much difference.
    Freud is 80% fraud, all except the E for Ego
    The difference between the Psi Cops (psychiatrists)
    and the Psi Corps (psychologists) is the R for Relationship.