• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISFP not getting a fair treatment in Gifts Differing?

Bunny

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9?
I have spent long hours trying to figure out which type my mother was, nothing just seemed to match. I had Gifts Differing at hand, going online to read more about the types/functions I felt matched most closely. Finally I came across something online which sparked an idea in me and finally leading me to think that ISFP is the most likely type for her (she is unfortunately not with us anymore to confirm/contradict my ideas - and while she was alive, she was not of much help either, mysterious and holding her innermost thoughts private..)

I think I might have pinned down her type a lot sooner, if it weren't for the ISFP description in Gifts Differing. In hindsight the text is kind of accurate, but somehow still lacking, making them sound .. boring?

Any of you ISFPs out there, have you found the description in Gifts Differing to be a fair one? Or do you feel something is missing?

"ISFPs see the realities - the needs of the moment - and try to meet them. ISFP is one of only two types, out of all sixteen, who strongly prefer general medical practice, which involves them with the widest variety of human ills. They may also find a satisfactory outlet in fields that value taste, discrimination, and a sense of beauty and proportion. They excel in craftmanship. They seem to have a special love of nature and sympathy for animals. They are much less articulate than the INFPs, and the work of their hands is usually more eloquent than anything they say.
They may be particularly fitted for work that requires both devotion and a great adaptability, as is the case of visiting nurses, who can never count on standard conditions but must grasp each new situation and revise their instructions to fit the present circumstances.
They consistently tend to underestimate and understate themselves. Probably ISFP is the most modest type. Anything ISFPs do well, they take for granted or as no great achievement. ... In most cases, they ought to think more highly [of themselves] than they do."

Maybe what threw me off originally is the talk of the medical professions, as my mother could never have had a career in nursing or medicine due to a complete lack of interest in these fields. This is of course not due to her type. I recognize many things, such as the modesty, the sense of aesthetics - she had also an uncanny sense of color, and she was not a naturally eloquent or effortless speaker.

Any viewpoints? :)

Bunny

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9?
Found my old thread and would be really interested to hear viewpoints 😊

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Maybe what threw me off originally is the talk of the medical professions, as my mother could never have had a career in nursing or medicine due to a complete lack of interest in these fields.

It sounds like you've partly misunderstood Myers. She had a large database of type info from medical students and doctors, and spent quite a bit of time analyzing which types preferred which particular kinds of practices within the medical profession.

In that passage you quoted, she was noting that, among the people who go into medicine, the "ISFP is one of only two types ... who strongly prefer general medical practice" to one of the more specialized practices. She wasn't saying that it was characteristic of ISFPs in general to "strongly prefer ... medical practice" to other kinds of occupations.

Bunny

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9?
Thank you reckful, I agree with what you are saying. I guess it also would have helped me if one of the examples would have been from another field than medicine.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=23908]Bunny[/MENTION] I hear you on the highlighting of the medical profession sounding off. Out of context, not having read the rest of the book and not knowing the background [MENTION=18736]reckful[/MENTION] shared, I would have interpreted it as you did, and therefore wouldn't have related to it.

That said, the other passages you quoted do really fit me, all things considered. I can say that though now that I'm older, as I think how I was raised really threw me in the wrong direction for a long time, and I had a lot of misdirection (though not done intentionally) as well as a more intellectual background that pushed me in areas that just weren't 'me'; thus for a long while I didn't recognize my actual strengths and preferences , or really accept who I was/am - and I'm still trying to grapple with that and find my place. But yes, everything mentioned resonates with me. :)